Sorry to be the '1200' person

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have a lot to lose, I think .5 per week loss would be ideal. Just make sure your measuring, weighing, and logging is all really accurate, and you will be fine. ( weighing on a food scale is very important)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd rather answer this question a thousand times and set someone on a path to succeed long term than sit back and let everyone take an aggressive 2 lb loss goal thinking it's okay and possibly fail because they honestly believe that's how little they have to eat to lose weight or risk muscle loss in the long term.

Hunger cues are terrible indicators of actual hunger both being full and not BUT there is a set amount of calories a person needs to sustain their body without negative impact like muscle loss, fatigue, etc. Most people do not need to eat 1200. I'm one of those people who started out thinking I had to do 1200. I quickly switched to 1650 net and was much happier that way.

The things I find help keep me full are fats, protein and fiber. For active people around 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein is recommended for muscle retention. Fats I treat as a minimum as they are necessary for hormone control and overall health. Carbs I let fall wherever they may, I tend to go high carb for the energy. Fruits and vegetables are a general staple for the fiber, vitamins and the fact I can fit more of them into a day then other things. Just have to play around and find foods you enjoy to help you meet your goals and keep you satiated.
  • lmclaren29
    lmclaren29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do have a scale that I weight with and measure things as well :smile:

I think finding the foods that work is key - it's only my first week so it's a lot of trail and error until I figure out what keeps me fuller longer and such.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm new here :ohwell:

I would like to lose 10-15lbs...I put in a rate of 1lb per week and MFP told me 1200 cals. I'm only on day 3 and well...I'm starving all the time. I'm eating all of my 1200, I don't know if it's maybe what I'm eating that's not filling enough, or if the 1200 is incorrect? Perhaps I should do 0.5lbs per week?

I feel like I'm just setting myself up for failure because there is no way I can sustain being this hungry all the time.

You need to figure out what your TDEE and your BMR is and then figure out what your deficit needs to be. It appears your reasonably normal in the BMI category. I would shoot for .5 pound a week maybe less. That's pretty reasonable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should do 0.5lbs per week?

yep...
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I struggled on the 1200 and upped it to 1440. I averaged 0.5-1 lb a week and lost a total of about 25 lbs last year. Then I ignored following my calories (not advisable) and gained half of it back. Now I'm back on here to take what I gained back off. :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With around 10 lbs to lose your goal should be to lose 0.5lbs/week:

Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • lookpregbutnot
    lookpregbutnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1200 person too and it took some getting used to. I just dropped breakfast. I hate it anyway and it helps to keep cut up fresh carrots, celery, watermelon and green, red, yellow pepers to reach for. Bananas really fill me up and almonds supress my hunger too.

For my exercise level, it's what I need to do and I was really eating way too much. So stick with it for two weeks and green tea and water have helped, but I only drink about 4 glasses a day. Any more makes me ill.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think 0.5 lb might be easier for you. Good suggestion from others.

I started using MFP with a lot to lose and went with 1.5 lb per week even then. As I got much closer to my goal I switched it to 1 lb and that has been working well but if I find it difficult I'll go to 0.5 too.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    calculate your RMR (take weight you are at and multiply by 12) then take that number and subtract by 500 and (as long as you are counting calories correctly) you should lose one lbs a week... mfp set mine for 1200 as well but after i did this i set it to 1400 and i feel much better and am loosing weight at a nice slow pace ;-)

PS after you have lost about 5 or so pounds i would recalculate it until you are at goal...
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 calories can be doable. However, it depends on what you are eating.

1200 calories of mostly lean protein and veggies is actually a good amount of food - you could probably eat 2 lbs of steamed fish or shrimp in a day and still be under your caloric intake goals. Eggs are only 70 calories apiece, and are full of good protein and some fat. By way of contrast, wheat bread, muffins, etc., are high in calories and not very filling.

Make sure you are getting at least 60 grams of protein per day, but aim for about 100. After that, fill up on high volume, low cal stuff (raw veggies). So, basically, eat protein on salad for meals and snack on raw veggies for snacks with small amounts of low calorie/high protein dips - a tbsp or two of homemade hummus or bean puree (yum), strained greek yogurt with seasonings, etc.

Good luck :)
  • lmclaren29
    lmclaren29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think 0.5 too - much more reasonable. My poor husband got the brunt of my hungry-grumpy this week LOL. This should help :)
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! I just found a couple places that my insurance takes. I will have to give them a call when I get a chance.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I found the first few days on 1200 hard but everything settled after a week or two. I now eat back nearly all my exercise calories and choose foods that I know will fill me and keep my blood sugar steady. I eat nuts or cottage cheese for snacks, make sure I have a snack or small meal every few hours and do cardio every day. In short- stick with it and you will be fine in a few days.
  • noifest
    noifest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 diet

on a typical working day

Breakfast
    mini shredded wheats or mini wheatabix no milk as I snack at my desk 60g - 290 cal
    white coffee or tea no sugar

Lunch
    1 egg mayo sandwich thin pocket thing 180 cal or a tin of soup with ryvitas 250 cal
    a bunch of grapes 60 cal
    a pack of quavers 99 cal
    a small bag of mini animal chocolate biscuits 110 cal

Dinner
    2 reduced fat sausages 220 cal or a piece of pork steak fat and rind cut off 250 cal or half a pizza 390 cal
    steamed / grilled veg of your choice I have broccoli around 60 cal
    a side salad no dressing - hardly any calories

a fruit or low fat yoghurt as snack 30 cal to 99 cal

when I really have a sweet tooth I have a Milk Chocolate Cadbury Highlights - hot drink 44 cal

cut down on white pasta and bread - have a portion of steam veg or a salad instead of chips or pasta
    as long as you have enough to keep you going and don't let yourself starve - there is nothing wrong in a 1200 cal diet

eating cleaner and healthier have made my skin clearer too but it is a very boring diet.

I sit at a desk all day my activity level is low so I have to take in less calories if I want to lose weight and don't exercise

I always look at labels and see if there are lower calorie versions
  • blairf83
    blairf83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually put me on 1200 calories. I stuck it out for a couple of months... And... I did lose...

I had to give it up- I felt horrible. lots of dizziness, just tired, my stomach had constant acid feeling.

I went up to 1500 cal for a few weeks. Now I'm back around 1375 cal. Those extra 175 cal make a HUGE difference for me. I'm losing more slowly, but I can actually physically function and am getting more out of my workouts than I was in terms of building muscle.... I tried dropping back to 1200 again and was right back to ringing ears and dizzy spells during my yoga classes.

Cant. Do it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ^ Read all the awesomeness of Trog. Eat the most you can and still lose. Take it slow. Enjoy it. Lose body fat and not just weight:flowerforyou:

This!^

Read Trog's post above.

You don't want weight loss.....you want fat loss.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    What Trog said! Great post by the way! I even learned from it--love the way you calculate TDEE!

Also, LOG everything, and I mean everything, even when you cheat, even when you overeat, even when you forgot what you ate and then remembered, back log it then. There is no better teacher than the person who makes mistakes, and then learns from them. Get a lot of good supportive friends.

If you eat when you are not hungry, ask yourself why? Are you stressed, are you bored, are you smelling it (if so, move yourself or the food.) Writing things down helps soooooooo much.

Also listen to your body, if your stomach rumbles, then eat.

Good luck and welcome~
  • agnes123333
    Options
    I need help!!!!
    So im on 1300 a day but the BMR calculator on the site is telling me mine is only 1333?!?! Can this be right? Surely not, other calculators always say around 1500-1800
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    eat 1600 calories instead ... ;) but add (in addition to whatever you're already doing) 1 hour of steady pace walking in the morning on empty stomach while sipping water. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier ... Works like charm and you'll feel great if you're not doing this for more than a month. But have to do it EVERY single day even if its on the weekend or after party!