Whey Protein

Options
Hi,

I wanted to get some advice concerning Whey Protein from the mfp community. Currently, Im in my second month of exercising and have incorporated some strength training three times a week with my regular routine. I've been using the inexpensive Strawberry protein post work out, (and sometimes as a meal replacement smoothie). However the calories seems high to me and its extremely too sweet for my liking. Especially, since I mix it at times with frozen fruit to make various smoothies. I've been watching a well known "youtuber" who says this particular brand is cheap and doesn't really have as much protein in it as it states on the label. But I in turn think he may just be a spokes person for a brand (which in turns give it to him for free). I'm at work rite now so I can't tell you any of the specs or what the name of the protein powder is. What I can say is that its in a HUGE black container and is normally sold in Walmart for $18.

So what I need to know is are there any good tasting protein out there that you swear by? Something that tastes good or is tasteless and low in calories? Any help you can offer would be of great help on my journey to being FIT!!!

Your friend in Fitness...

R.

Also, i'm always looking for people to add to my growing friends list. I take them all encourages, smart *kitten*.. etc. :) Just as long as your respectful...

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    The walmart one is good if you're in a pinch. It tells you how much protein is in it.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's all I use (The coffee one is so good). I'd suggest not using it for meal replacements though. You shouldn't replace meals with liquids, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good question. Can't wait to see the answers.
  • cieralea7
    cieralea7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out this info from the NSCA, reputable source for a bit of quick info.

http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/whey-protein-vs-casein-protein-and-optimal-recovery/
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/whey-protein-vs-casein-protein-and-optimal-recovery/

Some good info. A lot of people forget Casein. I take a shake every night before bed, it's slow acting so it helps with sleeping and muscle rebuilding over night. Whey is best for post-workout.
  • rbailey614
    Options

Very good read, thanks!
  • rbailey614
    Options
    The walmart one is good if you're in a pinch. It tells you how much protein is in it.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's all I use (The coffee one is so good). I'd suggest not using it for meal replacements though. You shouldn't replace meals with liquids, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Thanks for the advice, your rite skipping meals is a no-no! I won't even counteract this with a reason why I do it. ;)
  • ers1056
    ers1056 Posts: 1
    Options
    Muscle Feast unflavored Premium Blend. It's a combination of whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, & casein. 90% protein by weight - all killer & no filler (AKA "spiking") but you'll have to flavor it yourself. It's not cheap but good proteins aren't. Once in a while they run a special on the website, percentage off or free shipping or something. They're also on Amazon as well. Their flavored versions are 80%+ protein & sweetened with stevia. The flavors are not strong & nobody is going to mistake it for a milkshake. But if you want an effective anytime protein drink, this is one to consider. I've had the cheap stuff from This-Mart & That-Club & the various vitamin places but I've been a loyal customer to MF since 2010 when I stumbled upon them by accident. They have other proteins & supplements as well.
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    Dymatize ISO 100 is all I ever use. 110 calories/25g protein. They have the best flavors too
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wanted to get some advice concerning Whey Protein from the mfp community. Currently, Im in my second month of exercising and have incorporated some strength training three times a week with my regular routine. I've been using the inexpensive Strawberry protein post work out, (and sometimes as a meal replacement smoothie). However the calories seems high to me and its extremely too sweet for my liking. Especially, since I mix it at times with frozen fruit to make various smoothies. I've been watching a well known "youtuber" who says this particular brand is cheap and doesn't really have as much protein in it as it states on the label. But I in turn think he may just be a spokes person for a brand (which in turns give it to him for free). I'm at work rite now so I can't tell you any of the specs or what the name of the protein powder is. What I can say is that its in a HUGE black container and is normally sold in Walmart for $18.

So what I need to know is are there any good tasting protein out there that you swear by? Something that tastes good or is tasteless and low in calories? Any help you can offer would be of great help on my journey to being FIT!!!

Your friend in Fitness...

R.

Also, i'm always looking for people to add to my growing friends list. I take them all encourages, smart *kitten*.. etc. :) Just as long as your respectful...

I use Met-Rx Whey myself.
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) is also a good brand.

But I would encourage you get most of your protein through foods/whole foods if possible
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO 100 is all I ever use. 110 calories/25g protein. They have the best flavors too
    This. The ISO 100 is also an isolate whey, which means it's absorbed quickly compared to a blend. This is what you want post-workout.

I also use Allmax Hexapro blend at bed time with some frozen berries or cherries. The Hexapro is slower absorption which is perfect for bedtime.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Some good info. A lot of people forget Casein. I take a shake every night before bed, it's slow acting so it helps with sleeping and muscle rebuilding over night. Whey is best for post-workout.

Milk will do just as good in that regard...
    Milk is 80% casein and 20% whey
  • MityMax96
    Options
    ......This is what you want post-workout.....

Not gonna start an argument on this issue of isolate or not....

But I think it debatable....
    adequate carb and protein consumption will do fine
  • cieralea7
    cieralea7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use a protien powder pf shake post workout for recovery remember to stick to whole foods that contain a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein and consume them within 30mins after exercise to support muscle recovery, strength and build muscle mass. I usually do low fat mozz string cheese, 5-8 whole wheat crackers, and a handful of grapes. This give me the ratio I need to allow for optimal recovery (glycogen replenishing, muscle synthesis,and decreases muscle breakdown) and best of all fits into my calorie count. Remember to do what is best for you, and what fits into your lifestyle best :)