No-gym workout?

Hi everyone,

(Firstly: sorry if there are any mistakes in my grammar/spelling, English isn't my mother tongue)

I'm a student who lives on her own with a very strict budget. I've already made some big changes to be able to afford healthy food but a gym membership.. Well, I just can't find a way to make some room in my budget for that. (Yes, I have a job)

So, until I'm done studying and have the ability to work full time, the gym will have to wait. However, I'd still like to build up some muscle/get toned.

Any ideas for a good at-home workout? Or some tips to make my own weights perhaps?
I have no equipment, but I'm able to make use of the nearby park which has a pull up bar, that's something I guess.

I'd like to workout 6 days a week, I already spend 3 of those days at cardio (jogging).

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fspre
    fspre Posts: 8 Member
    Take a look at this link from youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iBAgIDvXk Its with a water bottle ;)
  • milesaway61
    milesaway61 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Check out fitnessblender.com for at home workouts. I use them. They also have 8 week programs you can purchase.

As for weights, a bag of books can be useful. I've used water bottles with some success. Just get different sizes of bottles, fill them up, and off you go. It's not quite the same as a set of weights, but still quite effective.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You have all you need! Google the following resources
    Convict conditioning
    YAYOG
    strength unbound
    Nerd fitness
    Al Kavadlo

3 days running & 3 doing strength would be great. Feel free to PM me with questions
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys! You are all so quick. :bigsmile:

I know fitnessblender, they got some great workouts.. I'm only a lil confused about which one I should do on what day.
    Like: How many days should you spend on the legs, how many on the chest, core etc... How long should you workout?
  • MissFlawed
    You have all you need! Google the following resources
    Convict conditioning
    YAYOG
    strength unbound
    Nerd fitness
    Al Kavadlo

3 days running & 3 doing strength would be great. Feel free to PM me with questions

Thanks rybo, I'll check it out right now!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Check out Goodwill.
    Our Goodwill store has a CD section with cartoons, movies and lots of exercise videos! Most of the time they are still in the plastic.....yep never been opended.
  • rybo
    Thanks for the advice guys! You are all so quick. :bigsmile:

I know fitnessblender, they got some great workouts.. I'm only a lil confused about which one I should do on what day.
    Like: How many days should you spend on the legs, how many on the chest, core etc... How long should you workout?

I'd recommend doing a full body workout each time. There's no need to split it up right now.
  • MissFlawed

I'd recommend doing a full body workout each time. There's no need to split it up right now.

Interesting, could you explain why? Just curious. :smile:
  • rybo
    It allows you to work each muscle group during every session while also giving you time to recover. By using compound movements that use many muscles at once you can get an effective workout in a shorter amount of time. Once you get more advanced into strength training you can worry about and implement a split routine, but for now a full body plan is best.
  • MissFlawed
    It allows you to work each muscle group during every session while also giving you time to recover. By using compound movements that use many muscles at once you can get an effective workout in a shorter amount of time. Once you get more advanced into strength training you can worry about and implement a split routine, but for now a full body plan is best.

Great, now I can actually start making a plan. Thanks for the advice! Three days of full body workouts and three days of cardio, that sounds doable! So when these workouts get too easy, then I can move to splitting.. That makes sense.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    You don't need weights - use your own weight! Try resistance type circuits using exercises like burpees, press-ups, tricep dips, skipping, planks, crunches, jumping lunges, squats, medicine ball clean and press. Try doing 4 exercises in 7 minutes, then repeating 2-3 times.
  • MissFlawed
    You don't need weights - use your own weight! Try resistance type circuits using exercises like burpees, press-ups, tricep dips, skipping, planks, crunches, jumping lunges, squats, medicine ball clean and press. Try doing 4 exercises in 7 minutes, then repeating 2-3 times.

Hmm, also if you really want to build some muscle later on? I've been told over and over again that you need weights for that. Of course I don't want to be a bodybuilder, but my dream goal would be some really muscular glutes and a light sixpack wouldn't be bad either. :laugh:

All the exercises you've mentioned are great for now though, just my own body weight is enough for now, I need to build up strenght.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    You could get a set of dumbbells - perhaps with enough weight so you can work your upper body, but also for weighted lunges etc.

Thats a good starting point. Or look at kettle bells - theres a ton of effective workouts you can do with those.
  • rybo

Hmm, also if you really want to build some muscle later on? I've been told over and over again that you need weights for that. Of course I don't want to be a bodybuilder, but my dream goal would be some really muscular glutes and a light sixpack wouldn't be bad either. :laugh:

All the exercises you've mentioned are great for now though, just my own body weight is enough for now, I need to build up strenght.

You dont "need" weights to build muscle. You can keep increasing the difficulty of body weight moves such that the can become very very difficult. Picking a difficulty level in the appropriate rep range while eating a surplus will build muscle even with body weight exercises
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I haven't been to a gym in over 10 years. You don't need a gym.

Burpees
    Push ups
    military push ups
    chair dips
    lunges
    mountain climbers
    plank
    fire hydrants

Look up Self Resistance exercise on the internet. There's so much out there.

Keep it up, keep striving!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    I personally realized that going to the gym was what made me not like working out - exercising at home is key for my consistency and success. Definitely check out piyo, 30 day shred, etc. classes on youtube. An entire series might not be up but you can definitely pick and choose out of enough to get a variety of workouts. Getting DVDs from Goodwill is also a great idea I didn't even think of!

A yoga mat and some resistance straps can go a long way too.
  • MissFlawed
    Thanks for the great feedback!

You all have given me some extra motivation to get the strength I want without needing two jobs to support it!