Quick question about son's eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough we could all probably learn a thing or two about diet from our kids. Since they do not have the ability to "over-think" their diet, they truly listen to their bodies...
    Kids will eat candy until they throw up given the chance. Then do it again.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old has sensory issues so i know a few things about picky eaters lol
    Just set it in front of him, dont make a big deal about it, dont say this will make you strong or anything like that just put it in front of him and walk away... he will eventually try it trust me on this... the more big deal you make of it the stronger of an aversion he may have
    as to the nursery thing... if he feels hungry before that time one day and does not like it then he will eat in the morning ... trust me he WILL NOT STARVE! and he will not starve himself... its basic human function his body will make him take care of himself... Dont worry so much ;-)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I have a son who has had similar aversion to starches at that age. Mashed potatoes made him gag. He would happily gobble up a plateful of broccoli but refuse to touch his mac&cheese, etc. He would only eat small amounts of rice. For him, it was largely a texture thing. I figured that the starch was the least important part of the meal, and didn't push it. He got his protein and his veggies. So as long as he had energy and wasn't constantly hungry, I didn't worry about it.

Fast forward almost 10 years. He still doesn't care for most of those starches, though he will eat small amounts of pasta or potatoes. He is a very healthy teenager who has learned how to stop eating when he is full. He still has plenty of energy and is growing like a teen should and still gobbles up his broccoli :happy:

Don't push him to eat everything. Encourage one bite to try it, but don't punish him for not eating - that tends to lead to unhealthy relationships with food. Kids tend to know when they've had enough. If he's eating the protein and veggies, don't stress the starches.

As for breakfast, have something ready that he can eat in the car. Even a cheese stick or cereal bar may be enough to hold him until snack. I'd worry more about getting his sleep schedule reset back to where he's able to get up at 7 without being overly tired, and let the breakfast issue sort itself out.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've heard from my daughter's pediatrician is this:

It is the parent's job to prepare and offer a variety of healthy foods. It is the child's job to decide what and how much to eat.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough we could all probably learn a thing or two about diet from our kids. Since they do not have the ability to "over-think" their diet, they truly listen to their bodies...
    Kids will eat candy until they throw up given the chance. Then do it again.

Not all kids... my youngest would always eat his veggies and meat first... and MAYBE his sweets if he has room
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Kids are normal, like everyone they go through phases with food, clothes, friends, behavior, etc. You can't punish him for no longer liking certain foods or drinks. We learn to listen to our bodies and kids listen better than we do, they aren't as stubborn or overly concern as some adults are.

I say offer the food to him but don't force him to eat it or get upset when he refuses it. He will eventually come around to liking it or not and you will have to accept that. Sorry to say, it sometimes get worse as they get older...no need in freaking out about it now, you'll be in for a rude awakening when he's able to really voice his likes and dislikes
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Don't punish him for his preferences and cause food issues for him in the future. So what, he doesn't want starch right now. He'll likely want it again later. Allow him to follow his own body's signals without pressure to finish all on his plate and eat foods he does not prefer right now. Count your blessings he will even touch a vegetable at all. Give him options and let him choose. If he really starts to nose dive into an unhealthy diet of only wanting candy, soda, chips, and food that is somewhat devoid of nutrition, then worry, but it sounds like he eats very well, and is aware of when he is and is not hungry.

Honestly, this post screams eating disorder issues to me. Since I've been there myself, I highly recommend you talk to someone (a professional or two) about this so that you have the best chance at raising a healthy child without the same issues with food.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    If he's eating cereal for breakfast, he doesn't need carbs at every meal.
    Veggies are carbs too and contain a lot more nutrients. Potatoes are more nutritious than pasta too. Start trying brown rice and see if he'll eat that since there's more fibre in them.
    Honestly, I wouldn't even be concerned about this. The things you listed are fairly nutrient void. Give him more veggies and fruits instead. And try sweet potatoes.

Besides, his eating habits will change in a month anyway. My brother's and my sister's kids all went through phases of wanting/not wanting food. Now they have no problem - the oldest one will eat anything. Except ketchup of all things.

Also, teaching him now to finish everything on his plate might not be for the best. Some people say that's the mentality that gets us all overweight these days because portion sizes are too big but we force ourselves to eat it all anyway. And then we get used to it. So unless you're 100% sure he is not getting enough nutrients unless he eats every single thing you give him, don't worry about it.

Remember that a child will never let themselves starve. If they get hungry enough, they will eat what you give them to eat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, teaching him now to finish everything on his plate might not be for the best. Some people say that's the mentality that gets us all overweight these days because portion sizes are too big but we force ourselves to eat it all anyway.

So agree. Forcing kids to eat past hunger is not a good idea.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

It is the parent's job to prepare and offer a variety of healthy foods. It is the child's job to decide what and how much to eat.

Love this...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

This. Although they don't get dessert if they don't eat their dinner, because then they are not hungry (unless it's something they really don't like, then they just have to have one bite).

About breakfast, just send him to nursery without it. He'll live. And maybe he'll get hungrier the next morning.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Although they don't get dessert if they don't eat their dinner, because then they are not hungry

Right! I always tell my son, "if you're not hungry for chicken and strawberries, then you're not hungry for cookies either...
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    1. So my son has quite a varied, healthy, diet compared to other children his age that I know. Every dinner has at least 4 different vegetables in it, as well as some protein and carbs and they are all homemade as much as possible.

However recently he has started to become quite picky with what carbs he eats in general at dinner - he will eat all of the meat on his plate, but will barely touch the pasta/rice/homemade chips etc.

If he's eating meat and several different vegetables at most meals, he's getting plenty of nutrition. it's perfectly OK for him to skip the grains and potatoes. Let him be. This is a battle that doesn't need to be fought.