Jawbone UP24 calculating calorie burn incorrectly?

Options
Hi all,
I have just bought a Jawbone UP24 and have synced it with MFP.
Before I used Jawbone I was on a 2229 calorie deficit and was using Pacer to gauge my steps etc, and I was losing 1-2lbs a week and was eating back all my extra calories burned according to my Pacer app.

Now with Jawbone UP24 I have set it to lose 1lb per week and MFP is set to "Active" and "lose 1lb per week" at 2229 which worked great before but according to jawbone the moment I wake up it it says I need to burn 500 calories in order to lose weight 1lb per week, which is effectively putting me in a 1000 calorie deficit! And that can't be correct as I walk over 20,000 steps a day.
So should I put MFP to "maintain weight" "custom 2229 calories" "active" and count the extra calories burned as consumable?

Because with Pacer I always had an extra 400-500 calories to eat and still lose weight at the end of each day!
Tried to explain the best I can, any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Afisk05
    Afisk05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have the UP24. When I get 10,000 steps in a day, it says I've burned only 75 calories more than my sedentary, resting burn. Most days I run about 4.5 miles and reach about 15,000 steps, and at the end of the day it says I've burned about 400 extra calories. Seems like a lot of work for a couple beers!
  • Afisk05
    Afisk05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my UP24 stopped working, so I've resorted to just logging my exercise. We'll see if that makes a difference.
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • jordhenshaw
    jordhenshaw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I got I've had 15,670 steps today already and it tells me that I've got 34 extra calories today! I'm going to adjust it to maintain on MFP and lose 1lb on UP24 as it's basically what I done with pacer and see what happens
  • jordhenshaw
    Options
    165-164lb
    5'11
    Highly active waiter
    Gym 5-6x a week weightlifting
    Minimum 20,000 steps a day
    Maintenance 2729
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'd probably suggest your maintenance level would be a bit higher than 2729 based on your activity, more like 3000 based on this site.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

It sounds like you should adjust the MFP goal to maintain and let the device deal with the deficit. Loosing 1/lb a week when you are already at a pretty good BMI will probably lose some muscle too however.
  • jordhenshaw
    Options
    It most probably is to be honest I've been more active now that I'm trying to lose weight so it could have gone up since I've been losing 1.5lb some weeks.
    Yeah I'm going to set it to maintain as it resets to -500 on UP24 activity on MFP, thanks for tip
  • jordhenshaw
    Options
    I'm also cutting to 4% for bodybuilding currently at 10% you see and need to hit 150ish
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing, fyi. I just assume/imagine that MFP is overestimating my necessary intake.