Fruit and Yogurt BAD for my diet?

Options
Is it possible that the sugar from fruit and yogurt are causing my weight loss to plateau. I just eat it in the morning, but I'm thinking it might be what's causing my issues. Thanks in advance!!!:smile:

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No. Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.... not if you ate a Snickers, yogurt, or rice cake.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Nope...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nyet. It's all about the ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-calories.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Nope. If they did I'd be screwed.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

me too. I'm sitting here right now eating a banana and a greek yogurt lol
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight loss stalled? How carefully are you measuring your portions?
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    its probably more about bites here and there and thinks like unaccounted for butter or oils. Fruit is pretty low calorie. It might be a temporary plateau - don't sweat it.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not your enemy and especially not natural sugar like what is found in fruit. Yogurt and fruit is a very good breakfast and as other people said, it's not about what you eat but more what quantity and calorie count you eat.

Plateauing is not abnormal either. How long have you been stuck at the same weight? A week? Nothing to worry about, it happens and it's normal. A month? In that case maybe you eat more than you think. Try to be more precise while counting cals or if you don't count cals try to eat a bit less for a few days and see what it does. Do you do a lot of exercise? If so, you might be losing fat and gaining muscle weight at the same rate so although the scale doesn't tell you you are getting smaller. Have you eaten more salt or carbs in the past few days/week? If so, you are most likely gaining water weight. I would suggest you to measure yourself: hips, waist, bust, thigh, etc... Whenever my weight doesn't change for a week or two, my body measurements does.

Good luck,
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    no
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Agree with everybody else. Has nothing to do with it. Remember, plateaus are caused by one of two things (or both).
    1) Calorie creep: you've not fully accounted for everything, or your over accounting for your workouts.
    2) Your body naturally, takes a break after a certain amount of weight loss. It has to reprogram itself that this new you is ok, and that it's ok to continue losing weight and that it has the nutrition in needs to continue. This usually happens about every 10-15 lbs. Some take weeks, others can take months. I had a plateau that took almost 5 weeks before I started seeing loss again.

You can trick your body, by increasing your cals for a week to tell your body you are still feeding it, and then reducing back down to what you are doing. Essentially, it gets used to what you are giving it and it thinks it's good with that. Tricking it then dropping usually forces the issue.

But if your only a week or two into a plateau, just keep on keep'in on and see what happens.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No, calories and diet. Try drinking a lot of water, watch your salt, processed foods and exercise exercise....
  • AGriffGil
    AGriffGil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and weigh everything before I eat it. I also burn about 6-900 calories with a trainer 6 days a week. I have a huge calorie deficit. So I thought it might be that the 20 grams of sugar in yogurt and in apples etc could be making my weight be stagnate.
  • AGriffGil
    AGriffGil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been at this weight about 2 weeks. Taking my measurements is a good idea and I will double check my portions. Thanks everyone!!!

It's always good to have support :)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    For some people (esp on low carb diets) yogurt does cause a short-term plateau.

But to find out how your body reacts, really your only choice is to try a few days without the item you fear may be problematic and see if it makes a difference.

Yes it's all calories in/calories out, but there are some low level tweeks to how efficient we are absorbing calories or how fast our metabolism is burning them (eg: steroid & thyroid disorders affect burn rate).
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating too much is what causes weight gain. Be sure to track everything and weigh your food.
    If you are unsure what your maintenance is, that's where you will need to start.

Be careful with your yogurt - some ingredients in yogurt can cause bloating and stomach issues. Could be causing you to hold water, constipated, etc. If you are unsure, try cutting it out and see if it helps!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all your exercise calories? A 600-900 burn seems really high. What are you doing to get that, and how are you measuring it?
  • seattlejo
    seattlejo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try going without the yogurt and apple for a week and see if that makes a difference? Just to shake the system up a bit.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

me too. I'm sitting here right now eating a banana and a greek yogurt lol

Just finished the same! :laugh:

OP, two weeks is not a plateau. That's just normal variation, probably due to water or waste retention.
  • tamara3226
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating?

Does it have a lot of added sugar?

plain yogurt with fresh fruit is best choice. no added sweetner
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread.