Is cutting carbs an effective way to lose body fat?

Options
Hi,

I am cutting my carbs down to around 100/130g's per day, in an attempt to lose body fat and maintain muscle. My protein is roughly a gram per lb of bodyweight and I train (lift) 4x per week.

I have lost on average a lb per week since starting this method, but I'm feeling really tired and hungry all the time. I am also worried I might be losing my gains! I am maintaining heavy lifting and have barely lost any strength in the gym - however I have also not progressed at all in my weights.

Are there any other methods of losing body fat, maintaining muscle, that won't make me feel like S***?

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With 2 pounds to go, a pound a week loss is pretty aggressive. The more moderate your weekly goal, the more likely you keep lean muscle.

You mean a gram of protein per pound of LEAN body mass.....right?
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Are there any other methods of losing body fat, maintaining muscle, that won't make me feel like S***?

Thanks!

Yes, just reduce the calories you consume, and keep the macro percentage at the recommended values basically. 45-55%C, 25-35%F, 15-25%P. I lost quite happily on 55% carbs with no issues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

calorie deficit, plenty of protein and some lifting...
  • LewJay
    LewJay Posts: 7
    Options
    With 2 pounds to go, a pound a week loss is pretty aggressive. The more moderate your weekly goal, the more likely you keep lean muscle.

I meant per lb of bodyweight. Am I doing that wrong as well?! I always read that it was a gram per lb of bodyweight?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am cutting my carbs down to around 100/130g's per day, in an attempt to lose body fat and maintain muscle. My protein is roughly a gram per lb of bodyweight and I train (lift) 4x per week.

I have lost on average a lb per week since starting this method, but I'm feeling really tired and hungry all the time. I am also worried I might be losing my gains! I am maintaining heavy lifting and have barely lost any strength in the gym - however I have also not progressed at all in my weights.

Thanks!

First off how long have you been low carb (if it's only been a week or so that *kitten* feeling should pass - carb flu)?

Also the 100g you are having - when are you having them before or after your lifting?

Also 1lb of protein per pound of lean mass (not body weight) is more than adequate (make up the rest of your cals with fat).

IMO cutting carbs is the low hanging fruit to getting into a calorie deficit, without effecting you micro nutrient intake.

Good luck!

Soz, should really read all the posts first - would have saved me typing about lean mass - doh!
  • OllyJ_79
    Options

I meant per lb of bodyweight. Am I doing that wrong as well?! I always read that it was a gram per lb of bodyweight?

It's supposed to be per pound of 'lean' body mass for protein, so 0.82 per lb.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

There are variations, depending on different goals. Don't worry about it, you're still in the ball park for your goal.
    Remember, your body needs time to adjust to changes in training or your diet. It can take weeks. Be patient. Higher protein intake requires a sufficient water intake, too. This might help fight your fatigue. Drink up and happy lifting!
  • LewJay
    LewJay Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think maybe I am cutting carbs too low and eating too much protein.

Here are some alternative macros based on your advice.

Recommended percentage macros = @1800cal, Protein: 112g, Carb: 225g, Fat: 50g.

Lean bodymass protein intake macros= @1800cal, Protein: 135g, Carb: 200g, Fat: 51g.

To be honest, I used to eat 225g of carbs and believe me, I did NOT lose weight. I may try the second method - but I feel I may need to increase cardio.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
  • OllyJ_79
    Options
    How are you measuring the food and liquid your taking in? Are you estimating or weighing on a digital scale and measuring the liquid? The only cause of weight gain, aside from water retention from stepping up training, is too many calories. The source of them is not important.

Carbs and protein both have 4 calories per gram, alcohol 7, whereas fat has 9, so you can put weight on from eating\drinking any of them in excess.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks!

Slight to moderate caloric deficit.
    Eat the foods you like that fit into your daily goals and macros
    be patient
    enjoy
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm cutting 25g carbs out a week until I get to 100. I started at 225g/day. But like you I need to maintain muscle mass so I add 10g protein every week I cut carbs. I started at 250g/day, currently at 280g/day for protein. I try to keep fats around 25%. I'll post some before after pics when I reach my goal to see how well this experiment works.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting 25g carbs out a week until I get to 100. I started at 225g/day. But like you I need to maintain muscle mass so I add 10g protein every week I cut carbs. I started at 250g/day, currently at 280g/day for protein. I try to keep fats around 25%. I'll post some before after pics when I reach my goal to see how well this experiment works.

Can I ask why?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think maybe I am cutting carbs too low and eating too much protein.

Here are some alternative macros based on your advice.

Recommended percentage macros = @1800cal, Protein: 112g, Carb: 225g, Fat: 50g.

Lean bodymass protein intake macros= @1800cal, Protein: 135g, Carb: 200g, Fat: 51g.

To be honest, I used to eat 225g of carbs and believe me, I did NOT lose weight. I may try the second method - but I feel I may need to increase cardio.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

The second one looks pretty good to me... If you weren't losing weight its because you were eating too many calories, not too many carbs.