breakfast - to eat or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you wake up at 6am and eat a noon, is that not breakfast ... for you?
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's simple for me... I've done better by eating breakfast therefore I eat it. It's really just what works for you. (simple answer I know) :smile:
  • NWalerys1
    Options
    If i don't eat breakfast, then I feel so weak throughout the day. But I also don't get hungry until later in the day. So I am probably like you. So what I do is sometimes i will just have an egg, which is like 100 calories. And then I have enough energy to get through until later in the day. Try that. Or have one of those slim 80 or 100 calorie yogurts.
    Some snacks you can keep with you are carrots, corn, fruit. Filled with fiber, low calorie, crunchy, and tasty. Or just some gum. I really like gum and it satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for al the help and advice. Think I'll go with what my body tells me and eat when I'm hungry. I will also keep reading and listening to advice given to me by fellow MFP users.

Still feeling nervous but optimistic. I have entered my details and have been given 1247 calories a day (arghhh!!!) this is going to be a large shock to the system.

I have tried many diets/healthy eating plans in the past and have never succeeded for more than a few weeks then i gain whatever iv lost plus a stone on top. I feel so unhealthy and need to do this for me and my family. They are all worried I am killing myself with food, which I suppose they are right but I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You can do this! and you are so worth it! Remember, it is just one day, one choice, at a time. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Eat it whether you want to or not! Lots of protein....egg beaters and turkey sausage, it jump starts your metabolism. Read/search "fueling metabolism"......need protein steadily throughout the day. You should be hungry in the morning provided you didn't eat too much the day before!
    No it does not jump start your metabolism. You are not a car your metabolism works 24 hours a day. Meal timing is just personal preference

Just find eating times that work for you and fit within your day activity

+1

btw OP...a lot of people will give you their theories on this. I tend to believe in different things working for each of us when it comes to mealtimes. Although I am a breakfast person, I'm not a snack person. Many people tell me "mini meals every 2 hrs is the key to weight loss" but for me that just leads to dissatisfied snacking all day and never feeling full. If I eat 3 regular meals at roughly 7, 12, and 6, I feel my best. Go with what works best for you :-)
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok, taking metabolism out of the picture for a quick second - aren't we all here trying to maintain a healthier lifestyle? Whether you'd want to debate about your metabolism or not, being healthy should be priority. Although there are studies and research and all types of debate on increasing the speed of your metabolism which than helps burn calories, the bottom line is food is needed for nourishment, energy - to essentially live. There are those who eat 6 large meals a day and lose weight and those who do 3 meals and 2 snacks in between with the same outcome. Since calories are the concern in this particular topic, just know that calories = energy aka joules if you want to get fancy. So my advice would be to get your breakfast in, whether it be 100 calories to 400 (it all depends on the person). Keep yourself healthy with the energy you need to get through the day. After a long 8 hour sleep, wake up with that boost of energy you need.

Good luck! :wink:
  • gkaffen338
    Options
    Nutrition is an area of study that has an almost equal amount of conflicting information. A cursory Google "positive impact of breakfast" and "negative impact of breakfast" will result is numerous studies that have contradictory findings.

Even googling "is a calorie a calorie" will result in the true representation that anything that is 10 calories is the same because its an actual unit of measure. Its the same as 1 pound of lead is the same is one pound of feathers. Contrasting studies dive into the theory that humans respond differently to proteins, fats, etc.

I truly believe that you have to take a reasonable approach and then trial and error your way to success. I personally have found that eating a ultra low carb high protein breakfast is the catalyst to my wait loss. It could be psychological or chemical... it doesn't matter to me.

If you start tracking your calories here you will start to gather data in a fun way while interacting with others. You can then use that data to make decisions or ask your friends here to take a look and give their opinion. Set one goal to start.. Log everything and resist the urge to "forget to log" embarrassing items.

I hope this helps. I am certainly no expert but i'm here with you on the same journey. :)

Good luck
    Greg
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As with anything regarding our bodies everyone is different and you have to find what works with you. Here's my story:

I was exactly the same, although usually I'd get hungry around 10. But if I ate breakfast, I couldn't stop eating all day. When I got the diabeetus it became important to level my blood sugar, which for me, meant 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. The first couple weeks, my eat all day pattern was still there, and I was starving for most of the day. Then, it abruptly changed. I woke up starving, and I started to lose weight consistently. Since April this year (my stats say 2013, but really, I just had an account, I wasn't doing anything, not even logging in) I'm down 40 pounds.

For me, I directly attribute it to the 2 snack 3 meal, calorie deficit, exercise plan.

There are other diabetics who don't follow the same plan and it works for them. But you can train your body to do what you want it to. Try it your way, and if it doesn't seem to work, change the plan.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I started on my journey to be healthier, I was like you - I wasn't hungry until 12 pm or 1pm even though I woke up at 6 am every morning. I decided to just work with this and only eat between the hours of 12 pm and 8 pm. This worked great from me, and I lost 48 pounds in 5 months. I feel like my metabolism has finally been reset or something, because within the last month - I now NEED breakfast.

Again, my practical advice is experiment, document results, listen to your body, and be willing to change it up depending on what your body needs.
  • freckled_belle
    Options
    I hate breakfast, still managing to lose weight. :drinker: