Becoming very frustrated. . .

Options
Hi all! I'm new here, but have been losing weight for over 2 years now. I was a 17 year old 5'6" female weighing in at 298 lbs. when I started my journey. Last summer, I got down to 171 and went to college. Since returning, I've been having a really difficult time losing weight. This morning I weighed in at 196 when I started the summer at 189. I go running nearly every week day (sometimes a break in-between) for 40 minutes outside. I had recently changed my calorie in-take to around 1600 (1.5 lbs. lost a week) after finding 1400 not enough. Today, when I signed up for MyFitnessPal, I decided to go back down to around 1380 in hopes to lose 2 lbs. a week.

I know many will start asking if I am sure my calorie counting is accurate. I really do my best with counting, especially around dinnertime I will try to overestimate the calories consumed. In addition to that, I'll leave around 200-400 calories extra at the end of the day to make up for the calories I may have underestimated.

It's becoming extremely upsetting though to see the numbers rise on the scale when I'm working out more than ever. Not even when I was losing most of my weight was I working out this much. i thought this summer it would be easy to get back down to where I was considering I was switching from doing cardio in the gym at my school to back to doing cardio outside. I used to do just 30 minutes of running, but in the last few weeks have increased it to 40, thinking my body isn't being challenged enough.

But yet, no results. I do occasionally on the weekends have fast food, but try to stick to the lower calorie options and replace high calorie items in meals with fruit or veggies. I consider the weekend to be my "free" days.

The lack of weight loss is causing me to have a lack of motivation. I've been looking at running plans (I did Couch to 5k for all of my weight loss) thinking that maybe my body still isn't challenged enough despite the increase in time I've added onto my running routine. I'm considering doing something like this:

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/10/training-tips/running-for-weight-loss-8-week-training-plan_16017/2

Could anyone give me some suggestions on what I should do next?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So you're new here.

Try this:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me you are not tracking/weighing/measuring your food intake....

I would suggest you start by doing that....no guessing or assuming.
    You start doing that, you are going over your needed calories, I guarantee
  • jennilyn890
    jennilyn890 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you do not eat enough calories while working out that you are only hurting yourself. Your body goes into starvation mode and slows your metabolism to hold on to your weight. You have to eat if you exercise, especially if that workout is intense. Your body needs fuel to work. Then when you do eat more later on the slower metabolism causes your body to pack back on the pounds. I think that is why a lot of diet fads cause you to gain more weight than you originally started with. All things in moderation.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I have heard that if you do not eat enough calories while working out that you are only hurting yourself. Your body goes into starvation mode and slows your metabolism to hold on to your weight. You have to eat if you exercise, especially if that workout is intense. Your body needs fuel to work. Then when you do eat more later on the slower metabolism causes your body to pack back on the pounds. I think that is why a lot of diet fads cause you to gain more weight than you originally started with. All things in moderation.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :grumble: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Starvation mode....plz just don't.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    So you're new here.

Try this:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • runrunrunningaway7
    Options
    Yeah, I thought maybe it is the whole "starvation mode" at first, but I feel it is more likely that even though I am still leaving more leeway in estimated calories at the day, I could be eating more than I thought. My net calories end up being around 1350 by the end of the day, so it's not like I'm below the 1200.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yeah, I thought maybe it is the whole "starvation mode" at first, but I feel it is more likely that even though I am still leaving more leeway in estimated calories at the day, I could be eating more than I thought. My net calories end up being around 1350 by the end of the day, so it's not like I'm below the 1200.

NO SUCH THING AS STARVATION MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get that out of your head now.

Track/weigh/log/measure anything you put in your mouth.

Start there first
  • runrunrunningaway7
    Options
    Yes, I understand the whole thing about starvation mode being a myth. I just purchased a food scale for better accuracy.

Could anyone provide input on maybe a change in exercise could help?
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Darn.

But, seriously, that post. Great advice.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yes, I understand the whole thing about starvation mode being a myth. I just purchased a food scale for better accuracy.

Can you lift weights??

If so, I would do that....in fact I highly encourage it.

Take a look at New Rules for Lifting,
    StrongLifts 5x5 I like.
    Starting Strength
  • csillakt
    Options
    Heya!
    I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling with this!
    My advice for you would be to give up on bread for good and try and replace it with something else. Also, try eating more baked in the oven stuff, without oil or fats.
    Also, it might be of help diversifying your days: one day veggies, one day meat, one day fruits, and so on, or one day carbs, then proteins and etc. Don't forget to hydrate yourself ( at least 2l of water a day!)

P.S. Have you considered you might be having water retention in your body? If so, here's a drink you can have to detox a bit:
    Jillian michaels detox drink- 60oz water, 1 TBLSP cranberry juice (non -cocktail), juice from 1 lemon (or 2 TBLSP), 1 tea bag of dandelion root tea. Drink everyday for 1 week to help reduce bloat and water weight.

I used this and it really REALLY worked for me, but then again ,it depends on everyone's metabolism.

Hope this helps!
    Good luck x
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Can you lift weights??

StrongLifts 5x5 I like.
    Starting Strength

QFT
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Heya!
    My advice for you would be to give up on bread for good and try and replace it with something else. Also, try eating more baked in the oven stuff, without oil or fats.
    Also, it might be of help diversifying your days: one day veggies, one day meat, one day fruits, and so on, or one day carbs, then proteins and etc. Don't forget to hydrate yourself ( at least 2l of water a day!)

P.S. Have you considered you might be having water retention in your body? If so, here's a drink you can have to detox a bit:
    Jillian michaels detox drink- 60oz water, 1 TBLSP cranberry juice (non -cocktail), juice from 1 lemon (or 2 TBLSP), 1 tea bag of dandelion root tea. Drink everyday for 1 week to help reduce bloat and water weight.

I used this and it really REALLY worked for me, but then again ,it depends on everyone's metabolism.

Hope this helps!
    Good luck x
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • runrunrunningaway7
    Options

Can you lift weights??

StrongLifts 5x5 I like.
    Starting Strength

I do have access to weights at home and when I am away for school. I find it pretty boring though, but would be willing to do it if I kept cardio as well in my routine.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Can you lift weights??

StrongLifts 5x5 I like.
    Starting Strength

I do have access to weights at home and when I am away for school. I find it pretty boring though, but would be willing to do it if I kept cardio as well in my routine.

nothing at all with keeping a form of cardio in the workout, but once you start realizing how much stronger you're getting, or the first case of "Holy crap I'm sore, I wanna do that again!" shows up... it'll be less boring. At that point, you'll only be competing with yourself.. and every time you pick up a little more, you'll have yourself to high-five.
  • runrunrunningaway7
    Options
    Heya!

Hope this helps!
    Good luck x

I really don't want to give up on bread (for obvious reasons, haha). I just find giving up on anything I really like would just end up making me more frustrated. I love bread, especially white bread, so instead of putting all consumption to a stop, I switched to the thin bread Pepperidge Farms sells very early on my journey to lose weight. I don't want an unrealistic "diet" plan because this is about a lifestyle change for me more than anything. Also, I do eat a fair amount of baked foods already and I aim for diversity in my food every day - not just one day of veggies, meat, etc.

And thanks for the detox drink suggestion. Even if it wouldn't work for me, it does sound like something that could taste good and be low in calories.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Okay, if you're about 190 and you're running 40 minutes a day on week days, I have no idea how you think you're going to live on 1380 calories. Please tell me that's at least NET calories?

If you don't know what your BMR and TDEE is, that's a great place to start. There are an abundance of online calculators, I've tried a bunch and they all tend to place me within about a 100 calorie range.

So for example, I'm a little shy of 5'7 and I'm down to about 173lbs right now. So my BMR is about 1620 -- that's the amount of calories my body would need to function if I was in a coma. When I calculated my TDEE -- which is a better estimation of how many calories you burn through the activity you do per day -- I set mine at lightly active; my job requires me to stand and walk around a bit, typically I work at least 4-5 days a week, and if I'm not working, I'll off set that with heading out for a walk. My TDEE comes in anywhere between 2100-2200; so that's what I would eat to maintain. I didn't factor in my exercise, because it's easier for me to do that on a daily basis for myself since sometimes I run into issues and won't do something I would consider a genuine workout for a few days at a time. So then, I eat back some of my exercise calories.

These are some numbers that it's really worth it to know. Eating below your BMR over time can wreak havoc on your body. I know I did it for a while when I was heavier (235-190) because my body fat percentage was so high that my doctor told me to go for it. If you're considering eating below your BMR, I'd really encourage you to make an appointment with a registered dietitian, or if you're somewhere where nutritionists are actually licensed, you can go that route as well.

It's really worth it to figure out those numbers now rather than later, and to recalculate them about once a month. It'll keep you from burning out and make this journey do-able rather than something you try to suffer through until you cave and give up.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Heya!

Hope this helps!
    Good luck x

I really don't want to give up on bread (for obvious reasons, haha). I just find giving up on anything I really like would just end up making me more frustrated. I love bread, especially white bread, so instead of putting all consumption to a stop, I switched to the thin bread Pepperidge Farms sells very early on my journey to lose weight. I don't want an unrealistic "diet" plan because this is about a lifestyle change for me more than anything. Also, I do eat a fair amount of baked foods already and I aim for diversity in my food every day - not just one day of veggies, meat, etc.

And thanks for the detox drink suggestion. Even if it wouldn't work for me, it does sound like something that could taste good and be low in calories.

No no no no.
    Please don't do a super restrictive diet. It's not supposed to be a diet, it's supposed to be a lifestyle change, otherwise what happened before will happen again; you'll take off 50lbs and put it right back on.
    You need to learn to have a good relationship with food; keep eating your bread, eat balanced, work to hit your macros and do exercise that makes you happy and give you the results and body composition you're aiming for.

I think you've got a good head on your shoulders, so don't listen to anything restrictive unless you're willing to live without bread or carbs or whatever food group for the rest of your life.
  • runrunrunningaway7
    Options

Can you lift weights??

StrongLifts 5x5 I like.
    Starting Strength

nothing at all with keeping a form of cardio in the workout, but once you start realizing how much stronger you're getting, or the first case of "Holy crap I'm sore, I wanna do that again!" shows up... it'll be less boring. At that point, you'll only be competing with yourself.. and every time you pick up a little more, you'll have yourself to high-five.

Yeah, I think it is really about just getting started with that kind of exercise. I was the same about running up until I started seeing results and found myself enjoying it more and more. Thanks for all the tips listed above and the motivation.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So you're new here.

Try this:

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Wow! What great advice! I am not new on here but I love what I read and will defiantly start using some of the suggestions you made! I have always heard people talk about a food scale, I know its to weight your food but what will that tell you? Sorry if its sounds like a silly question but I usually just go off of what is on the box or on here. Which I am sure is probably not smart! :noway: