Elliptical... numb feet??

Options
Does anyone else ever experience numbing in their feet while on the elliptical? I have tried everything I can think of to alleviate this issue. I wear supportive, yet comfortable shoes (not too tight either). I make sure my feet get a little movement while doing my exercises. I'm just unsure if this is an unusual issue or not and if it is normal how to avoid it. I had to shorten my routine and switch to the treadmill today to get past it. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mine do too! I'm not sure why tho...
  • quadgirl46
    Options
    That used to happen to me too I dont know why after about 20 min my feet would hurt and get numb. I'' ll try to look something up on the internet but I get the same thing.
  • cagcooper
    cagcooper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I don't have an answer, either, but sometimes it happens to me on my stationary bike, too.
  • boardedney
    boardedney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of getting used to it. The more you do it, the longer it will take before the become numb and evenually, not at all! Anything you do physically will take some time getting used to and to work out the kinks.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm commenting on this so I can keep an eye out for the answer. Mine used to do the same thing when I had an elliptical and now they do it when I working out on the wii fit board. You're not alone!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time when I used an elliptical trainer. I don't have an answer. I remember reading something about it online saying maybe my shoes were too tight so I tried loosening them for the training and it helped a bit. I tried being very conscious of the position of my feet as well while using the equipment, but nothing seemed to completely solve the problem. Sorry for not being able to help, but I'm glad to hear it's not uncommon!
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    you are pushing on the toes of your feet too much. you need to try and keep your feet flat and think of pushing from the heels of your feet instead. That said, it's not easy to do at first, lower you level of intensity and lower you speed and work on pushing more with your legs and you'll find the numb feeling will go away. I know it used to happen to me too. Hope this helps.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yup me too!
  • tjone2
    tjone2 Posts: 7
    Options
    It happens to me also. What I do to get the blood going through my feet again is to actually pick my feet up off the pedals (or whatever they are called) and bring them down heel first a couple times and then bring them down tow first a couple times. I do that cycle 2 or 3 times until the feeling starts coming back.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I just posted this question yesterday and the responses were basically these:

1) Maybe your shoes are too tight. Make sure they are roomy and loosen the laces.

2) You may need more arch support - if you have a high arch and aren't getting adequate support from your shoe, this can happen.

3) Make sure you're getting enough potassium and magnesium.

4) Check with the doctor if you think you may have nerve damage.

I'm going to try loosening my shoelaces tonight and see if that helps.
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did you just start using an elliptical? I use to get it all the time when i first started using one. Now not so much, just every now and then. You are doing the other tricks that I know. Maybe go hard on the treadmill and slow or cool down on the elliptical. Variety is definitely good! Good luck!
  • ld901
    ld901 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, too. It helps me if I try to keep my feet flat on the "pedals" of the machine and not lift my heel as each foot pushes down. If I stay off the balls of my feet so my weight is evenly distributed on my foot, it helps a little.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think the problems could be both shoe- and stance-related. First, try loosening the laces on your sneakers to give your toes some wiggle room. Experiment with loosening the lower laces, closer to your toes, while keeping the laces tight near the top to maintain arch support. You also want to make sure your shoes are sized correctly. My toes used to go numb when I ran, I moved up a half size in my sneaks . What a difference! My toes no longer go numb. I wholeheartedly recommend getting fitted by someone who knows athletic shoes to ensure that your sneakers fit properly.

As for stance, don't work out just on your toes. It is easy to focus all your weight onto your toes when using the elliptical. This pressure on the front of your foot can disrupt blood flow to your toes. Your foot should roll through each step, heel striking first, roll through the middle, and push off with the toes. Try alternating where you focus the pressure of your foot when on the elliptical and press through your toes for two minutes, then focus on keeping your heel down for the next two. Additionally, pressing primarily with your toes will work the front of your thigh more while pressing through the heel will fire up the back of your leg. So revamping your chance will affect more than your toes.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Some tips:
    1. Try repositioning your feet during the workout -- and alter your movements / stride
    2. Keep sensation in your feet by periodically wiggling your toes
    3. Loosen up the laces? Didn't make a difference to me
    4. Change the direction of your movement
    5. Incorporate more than one machine in your routine.. IE do some rows, or stairmaster, etc to limit your time on the elliptical machine.
    6. Try and keep equal pressure on your feet.
  • quadgirl46
    Options
    Causes of Numbness
    •When operating an elliptical trainer, the feet stay motionless in one place, unlike a treadmill or stairstepper where you pick up your feet. The constant pressure of your body weight on your feet can affect your circulation and cause the feet to feel numb or asleep. If you are wearing shoes that further restrict circulation because the shoes are too tight are ill-fittiing, that can compound the problem. Even shoes that are too loose can cause your feet to slide forward, which jams your toes and causes a similar sensation.
    Preventing Numb Feet
    •First, make sure your shoes fit properly. Go to a store that specializes in sports footwear and have them measure your foot and look at your stride and pronation or supination problems so they can recommend the best pair of shoes for your feet. Second, consider custom orthotics from a podiatrist or try over-the-counter products at the drug store. Third, when using the elliptical, wiggle your toes frequently and rock back-and-forth on your feet. Using the reverse mode of the elliptical every few minutes can also provide relief. Fourth, try an incline, if your machine has that feature included. Finally, make sure you don't exercise on the elliptical too long. An optimal workout is considered to last 30 to 45 minutes.

Read more: Why Do Feet Go Numb on the Elliptical? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5187888_do-feet-go-numb-elliptical_.html#ixzz1BcxHxHwS
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I get numb on the treadmill for a few sessions when I up my speed. I have started *trying* to do the c25k and it's been WEEKS since my feet went to sleep. they started again because of the new running movement. Mine goes with time. If it's an ongoing thing perhaps you have a pinched nerve somewhere? I used to get rand sharp foot pains when I was at my heaviest (135kgs) they did a cat scan but couldn't see it properly due to my size. so now I just think mines related to that and the new movements.
  • Nazbuster
    Options
    http://ellipticalreviewblog.com/2010/07/helpful-hint-numb-feet-elliptical-trainer/

Someone's comment about cause and solutions for numb feet
  • bmys13
    bmys13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to get that too, now I found that changing direction every few minutes (ex: 5 minutes forward, then 5 minutes backwards) is enough of a change of foot positions to keep my feet from going numb. Hey, it keeps you from getting bored too!
  • lwyz_smln
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the awesome info! It's nice to know it's not simply just me! ha ha
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I loosened my shoelaces last night, went in reverse a few times, and wiggled my toes a lot. I still got numb, but not nearly as quickly or as severely, so those tips definitely helped.