Breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack

Options
I have read a lot about how the timing of eating and/or types of foods do not matter and about how we are programmed to believe in 3-squares a day and that breakfast foods are things like eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, pancakes. God forbid you have a turkey sandwich for breakfast! Oh the horror!

Anyway, yeah I really feel like the programming and stuff mentioned above is BS. Eat when you're hungry and eat what you want according to the goals you are trying to achieve. Protein + veggies = weight loss (within a calorie deficit).

It became funny and odd to me that the folks who talk about this also have their food diary labeled specifically as 'Breakfast / morning snack / lunch / morning snack / dinner / evening snack / other'.

I had mine set like that too when it occurred to me that it was totally contradicting what I believe, as stated above. I just re-named my diary with two categories: Fuel and Other. Does the type or timing really matter? As long as I am staying within my calorie range and hitting my macros I think not.

Just some food for thought :smile:

Replies

• BadDog3135
    BadDog3135 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree! There are definitely conflicting schools of thought on how often to eat and what to eat when. My own experience has confirmed a lot of what I am reading now, that if you just eat when you're hungry, you don't necessarily need to worry as much about the when you are eating.

I like you're idea of relabeling your meal headers, but I personally don't think that having your meals labeled "breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack" is contradictive. Two meal categories is a very interesting idea though, and I might give it a try! I'd be interested to know what goes in your "other" category, since I tend to see everything I eat as "fuel."

If you haven't seen this, it's a very in-depth article that basically concludes saying that the "when you eat" question really isn't as important as we once thought:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I only eat breakfast and lunch. I am apparently going to die soon... :tongue:

Especially because I'm eating red velvet cake for breakfast tomorrow....
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters much WHEN you eat just HOW MUCH you eat. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with labeling your meals breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack, etc, if that's what you want.

I would think that it's easier to see visually what you've been eating if it's broken up into different meals rather than just one long list for everyday. If you didn't eat anything in one of those periods you just wouldn't record anything there.

Plus it would be easier to copy meals over to other days if you ate the same thing a lot.

Really, it's up to personal preference I guess.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think people should label their diaries in the way that makes most sense to them. I generally eat three meals, but sometimes have other food, so like having three meals and snacks (in other words, the default, which I haven't bothered to change). If I usually did the 5-6 meal thing it might make sense to me to separate them out. As it is, I just group snacks together a skip a meal if I don't happen to eat it that day.

But if you did regularly have timed snacks, including them in your log certainly would make pre-logging easier, which would probably be important if you needed to make sure your snacks were available. I don't think it has much to do with whether you insist mini meals or snacking is necessary (which it's not, of course).

I've also never heard ANYONE claim you had to eat breakfast food for breakfast for weight loss purposes or otherwise, and I've heard lots of dopey claims.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Mine is labeled - FOOD
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have my diary with 6 named meals in the same way and don't always adhere to them, but your post has made me think perhaps I am conditioning myself to eat at these times simply because my diary expects it. I will consider changing it to a single food list and see how I get on.
  • alighterday
    Options
    I started doing one list because so many foods build up in 4 to 5 lists that it affects me mentally. Sounds silly but knowing that all those foods are listed - and they are the same foods - grinds my gears. I have to protect my very fragile state of mind, so I just use one list. But that's the only reason. People have to handle their things accordingly to satisfy themselves, not others. I named my list ALL DAY.
  • alighterday
    Options
    Mine is labeled - FOOD

heeheehee!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    cake for breakfast mmmmmmmmmmm :drinker:

sometimes i have ice cream for supper :tongue:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    that is cool. I like the two categories you use. I could see myself doing that but for now I like to eat every three hours. I get hungry evfery three so I eat. I like to recognize patterns and look at what I have done the week or two weeks before, etc. But I will get more claories once I hit goal so who knows maybe the two categories like you use would be a great idea and easier to add in without having to invest as much time. I wil keep it in mind. I keep my diary like this but I haven't contradicted myself, I eat when I am hungry and this way it never seems like I am deprived or starving while eating in a deficit. I do me, you do you.

Edit: I take it back, I actually like this one or two categorie thing. I am going to try it out. I think sometimes the reason I don't change my diary is because so many people actually look at it and tell me so. Its like they are hoping to find my secret to weighloss in there. (there isn't one, I just eat within my caloiries) I am changing today. Glad I read your post. ITs about me and my journey and I am always open to new things. I need to prepare for a lifetime of this.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    God forbid you have a turkey sandwich for breakfast! Oh the horror!

Wow...that's what I had for breakfast. Didn't feel like making anything so I could get to work. Hey...got some protein in instead of skipping breakfast.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that it's a mental thing as well and folks need to do what works for them in terms of logging food. Personally for me at the end of the day it's all the same. The only value I really put into splitting up meals and snacks into categories is if one is trying to stick to a specific amount of calories per meal. Even then once one gets used to logging, one pretty much knows how many calories is consumed as the day goes on. People marvel at my ability to estimate the number of calories they are eating or to tell them exactly how many I've had at any given moment. It's a good tool for sure. For me, I have to be careful and make sure I am listening to my own hunger signals vs. going by a computer program. I don't actually "need" to eat a snack but sometimes I feel myself mechanically eating one for a few reasons.... because it's become a habit, because research or MFP told me too... whatever the reason. I have stopped doing this and feel much better as a result.

Someone asked what I would put under my "other" category.. That is where I log vitamins and supplements. Most don't have any calories but some do. For example, I use CLA and three of those a day contain 30 calories. I don't actually consider that food but think it's important to my overall number :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Mine is labeled - FOOD

heeheehee!

Love it!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Interesting. I have my diary with 6 named meals in the same way and don't always adhere to them, but your post has made me think perhaps I am conditioning myself to eat at these times simply because my diary expects it. I will consider changing it to a single food list and see how I get on.

Yes I feel like this is what was happening to me too. Like everyday I'd be like "Oh it's 10:30, time to log and eat my morning snack" I forgot to think about if I was actually hungry!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I think people should label their diaries in the way that makes most sense to them. I generally eat three meals, but sometimes have other food, so like having three meals and snacks (in other words, the default, which I haven't bothered to change). If I usually did the 5-6 meal thing it might make sense to me to separate them out. As it is, I just group snacks together a skip a meal if I don't happen to eat it that day.

But if you did regularly have timed snacks, including them in your log certainly would make pre-logging easier, which would probably be important if you needed to make sure your snacks were available. I don't think it has much to do with whether you insist mini meals or snacking is necessary (which it's not, of course).

I've also never heard ANYONE claim you had to eat breakfast food for breakfast for weight loss purposes or otherwise, and I've heard lots of dopey claims.

No one ever said you had to eat certain foods for breakfast. I think people are just programmed to eat certain foods for breakfast. When I go out for breakfast I am handed a breakfast menu with breakfast options. When someone says the word "breakfast", we automatically think about breakfast foods. If I were or order chicken soup or a fish taco for breakfast, chances are people would think I was strange... nor could I even find a restaurant serving that for breakfast. I think it's just an "old school" way of thought. :smile:
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have mine labeled Breakfast - Morning Snack - Lunch - Afternoon Snack - Dinner - Evening Snack. I need to space out my food to manage hunger and blood sugar. It works for me. Do what works for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I think that's more for convenience than anything. I have no problem putting down I had pizza for breakfast (which I call morning) or eggs for dinner (which I call night).