Emotional Eating

Options
Took baby girl to her first day of kindergarten. Struggling to resist grabbing the ice cream container. Tips and tricks people?

Replies

• SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When I was struggling with emotional eating (Binge Eating Disorder), whenever I had an urge, I would force myself to go sit somewhere, be it the couch, in my room, or outside somewhere, and deal with the emotions. Don't read, don't watch TV, don't do anything but sit and think and really focus on the emotions. Let them wash over you and just deal with them. Don't push them away or try to hide them. Get ugly.

Bahaha, I also find while doing this, if you take a piece of paper and a pen and write down absolutely everything that comes into your head during that time, it really helps. I write some really weird stuff sometimes. Try to get an entire page, and keep going to multiple pages if you need. That's what I like to do, anyways:-) Good luck, and congrats on your baby girl's first day. It's an emotional time but an exciting milestone!

ETA: I play music in the background while I'm writing usually, but that is the only "distraction" I allow myself. It helps bring the emotions out for me and then eventually calms me down.
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Take a walk!
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Or...just throw that ice cream away
  • Silverlight2005
    Options
    I've done this every day this week and gained 2lb! Keep feeling an irresistable urge for ice cream
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would weigh it out and have a serving of ice cream.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm available if you need to hug it out
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I was struggling with emotional eating (Binge Eating Disorder), whenever I had an urge, I would force myself to go sit somewhere, be it the couch, in my room, or outside somewhere, and deal with the emotions. Don't read, don't watch TV, don't do anything but sit and think and really focus on the emotions. Let them wash over you and just deal with them. Don't push them away or try to hide them. Get ugly.

Bahaha, I also find while doing this, if you take a piece of paper and a pen and write down absolutely everything that comes into your head during that time, it really helps. I write some really weird stuff sometimes. Try to get an entire page, and keep going to multiple pages if you need. That's what I like to do, anyways:-) Good luck, and congrats on your baby girl's first day. It's an emotional time but an exciting milestone!

ETA: I play music in the background while I'm writing usually, but that is the only "distraction" I allow myself. It helps bring the emotions out for me and then eventually calms me down.

I think this is good advice. I struggled with this more when I stopped drinking than with food, but I did indulge in emotional eating and in both cases found that journaling helped a lot when I was tempted to just go bury my emotions. It also helped me get more analytical about it, so that I'd realize what was going on and be able to think it through.
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I journal my emotions, and look for solutions to the problem, or ways to alleviate the negative emotion. I also try to go for walks to clear my head, or start an activity to get my mind cleared.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Your daughter will be home soon. :flowerforyou: Give her huge hugs and ask about her first day at school. The ice cream will still be in the freezer but this day is your's and your daughter's.
  • Fat2_Fit
    Fat2_Fit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stay busy, clean, exercise, read, watch tv. Lots of things you can do other than go for that icecream. Think about your goals. IF you really want some then exercise it off first. If you don't want to do the exercise to earn it then you can't have it!
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When i lost tons of weight i was having yoo-moo frozen yhogurt it's not as bad as icecream just maybe sugar a little high. I still lost almost 41 lb eating the stuff! Aslong as you don't overeat it and watch how much you have.