Travelling for 10 days

Options
So... I'm out of town. Got to California late last night (late for the east coast) and I take anti- anxiety medication which gives me the munchies so first thing I did on getting to town was eat a pizza and breadsticks and then go to bed. I told my husband I wasn't going to count calories but this morning I could not resist and tallied up and was horrified.

I actually don't need to lose weight at this juncture but don't want to go home with weight I will have to then lose. I'm conflicted: Do I not count calories while I'm here and just try to eat like a normal person would and try to enjoy myself, after 6 months of methodical calorie counting or do I continue counting?

Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do? How did you make out in the end?

Replies

• donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't count calories while on vacation. Tried to eat sensibly (we rented a cabin in the mountains) and stocked up with meats to grill, lots of fruits and veggies and snacks, but we did go out to eat 2-3 times and I indulged with burgers, fudge, chips, etc. I did a lot of walking and hiking while sightseeing. I actually lost 1.5 lbs. Good luck and enjoy your vacation! :smile:
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don usually calorie count when I am on vacation, because most of the time I am not the one cooking or the restaurants we are eating at dont have nutrition informaton. I dont worry about it to much I just try to make sensible choices when possible and get back on track as soon as i get home. In June i was visiting family for a week, most of my family have very differnt eating habits. I did gain about 4 pounds, but most of that was water weight that came off prettty quick once i got home. A short vacation usually isnt going to make a big differnce as long as you get back on track when you get home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't count calories or even try to eat sensibly on holiday!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the methodical counting you do at home but maybe just some rough estimates as you go through the day. If you've been doing this long enough, you should have a descent ability to gestimate and if you come across something you're not sure about just look it up (assuming you have that ability on a mobile device). If you don't have that, then overestimate on items you're not sure enough or skip them for something else.

Or just don't count, maybe gain a couple of pounds (no big deal) and go on into deficit when you get home until you take it back off.

But don't stress about this and have fun on your trip.
  • BadDog3135
    BadDog3135 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends for me whether or not I am traveling for business or pleasure. If it is a business trip, I generally try to keep on top of my calorie logging. If it's vacation, then relax! Of course, if not logging your calories only causes you more anxiety, then I would continue to log while on vacation; I'm just not one of those types. :wink:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I actually don't need to lose weight at this juncture but don't want to go home with weight I will have to then lose. I'm conflicted: Do I not count calories while I'm here and just try to eat like a normal person would and try to enjoy myself, after 6 months of methodical calorie counting or do I continue counting?

I first read this and thought what do you mean? I'm normal (ok not really) and then I realized there are a couple of ways to take this statement. "Normal people don't watch their caloric intake" (I beg to differ) or "I eats me all the food I can see" or "Normal people don't care, they just eat and be happy and to hell with the consequences!"

I too am heading on vacation as of Saturday - I will still monitor my intake, because last years vacation free for all was a slippery slope and I went from 184lbs on July 1st to 197lbs Jan 7th. As of this am I am 180 - so there will be food enjoyment, but it will be tempered (for the most part) with moderation.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I first read this and thought what do you mean? I'm normal (ok not really) and then I realized there are a couple of ways to take this statement. "Normal people don't watch their caloric intake" (I beg to differ) or "I eats me all the food I can see" or "Normal people don't care, they just eat and be happy and to hell with the consequences!"

I don't think that's what the OP meant.

But OP, when I went on vacation (and still had weight to lose), I did not count calories: a) bc there wasn't reliable internet access b) I just wanted to relax and enjoy myself without worrying about my weight.

I ate as much as I wanted, but avoided alcohol. I swam everyday and walked too. So I was still getting exercise. I went home the same weight I was when I left home. I recommend trying to eat by portions as much as possible. But don't sweat it. Enjoy yourself.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I don't think that's what the OP meant.

But OP, when I went on vacation (and still had weight to lose), I did not count calories: a) bc there wasn't reliable internet access b) I just wanted to relax and enjoy myself without worrying about my weight.

I ate as much as I wanted, but avoided alcohol. I swam everyday and walked too. So I was still getting exercise. I went home the same weight I was when I left home. I recommend trying to eat by portions as much as possible. But don't sweat it. Enjoy yourself.

Now why on earth would you avoid alcohol? That's not a vacation, that's a punishment. :drinker:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Are you in a place where you can eat really amazing, unusual food at great restaurants, or get your once-every-two-years fill of Grandma's special [insert favorite, rarely-enjoyed treat here]? Eat up and enjoy, but take advantage of any opportunities to exercise. At least that's my plan for our upcoming vacation. I'm sure I'll come back a few pounds heavier, but I know how to get rid of it.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Now why on earth would you avoid alcohol? That's not a vacation, that's a punishment. :drinker:

^^
    This!
  • kaymcleay
    kaymcleay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My approach is that when I'm on vacation, I do not want to stress out about every calorie I'm eating, but I also do not want to stress out about any weight gain when I get back or how miserable I will feel if my clothes start getting too tight. Since you have been logging for 6 months, you should have a good idea of the number of calories or the amount of activity you should be getting, even without being extremely strict or stressing about it too much.

Another tip I heard one time which has really stuck with me and helped in those times where I've been tempted on vacation or in general (office treats, etc) is the opportunity of the food, meaning if the food is a true specialty or rare, I treat myself to it. For example, if I am offered a run-of-the-mill doughnut from the grocery store, I'll pass every time. However, when I was in New Orleans and had a chance to try a beignet, I treated myself as I had 1. never tried one before, and 2. no idea when I'd have the opportunity to again!

Hope you have a great vacation! :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm visiting Greece (and family) for a month and I'm a couple of pounds shy of goal so almost maintenance.
    I plan to log on everyday and estimate my cals. We will be near a beach so swimming everyday and I will walk as much as possible. Also I'm on a 337 day streak and I want to keep it going, lol.
    I will be happy if I come home the same (or nearly) as I left.
    I also plan to eat my favorite Greek foods everyday and drink wine, ouzo and raki!

Opah!
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys lots of good advice. What I mean by normal is: normal people don't eat a dozen crispy creams in one sitting. I do.

I never had a weight problem until recently and not a big one at that but still enough to concern me. I was used to eat with impunity so this is all new-ish to me.

And yes, there are some pretty awesome meals around here. We did go for a very extravagant breakfast but it was so late I'm calling it brunch and after that we went to the supermarket and got some cereal and almond milk (breakfast being when I will most likely overindulge).

I will try to do a loser count of calories for the next day or two and see how my clothes fare and if I find it to burdensome then I will try the "eat sensibly" approach.

Just reading your responses makes me feel less panicky so thanks again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I counted calories during my vacations, tried not to overdo it too much (had one dessert a day and not 2, still mostly avoided fried foods etc), still gained 4 pounds, 2 I lost right away, 2 that took 1.5 month to get rid of... Thankfully I don't drink, or it would have been worse, and I still exercised while I was there. So I'd say... enjoy yourself but try to limit the damage.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    On business trips or on vacation away from home, I don't count calories. At mealtimes, I go around with the mantra "moderation, moderation, moderation" floating around in my head instead. Same when I eat out. I choose leaner proteins, lots of fruits and veggies, go easy on breads, skip desserts BUT if there's something higher-calorie that I really want I have it (even if I don't finish it).

It is tough, but it gets easier with practice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're on vacation, enjoy it! So long as you're contentious, you're golden!