Cardio and Strength training...same day????

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    if i fail while running will i be holding a 200 pound barbell over my head? will not reaching my desired HR zone have the same effect as utilizing poor form while holding up a 400 pound barbell with my back?

not all failing is created equal

True, failing is not all equal.

HR zone is not the best predictor of effort as it can vary too much. We use power meters as cyclists as the power meter doesn't lie. Either you make the power, or you don't independent of what your HR says. Running would be using speed/distance being met independent of your HR to make your numbers. It's probably only important to those who train to race (on their feet, or on the bike). And obviously moot for the sake of this discussion, but I just thought I'd raise the issue when it comes to choosing weights or the cardio to be the first of the day or the second of the day.

On leg day of weights, I would not schedule a bike ride that required the highest power outputs I can make on the same day as it is very likely I wouldn't make my numbers without some pretty serious suffering and tearing down of tissue. And if I did, I would require more rest and recovery to bounce back from the day than I could afford based on following a structured training plan. Again, if not racing - no big deal. But everyone has already mentioned that doing cardio and weights on the same day depends on one's goals.

If you're squatting 400 pounds, my guess is that endurance running and having a typical endurance runner's body isn't your gig. Sprinting sounds like it could be your cup of tea though if you aren't having to move too heavy of a body versus the competition. So I guess we should add that not all running is created equal.

I'm just hoping to hold 2 hours in Zone 2 HR (151-158 for me) today on the bike after yesterday's lifting session, bad round of golf, and trimming trees worked me over from top to bottom. The bike ride should flush all of that away...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I do same day. I do weights 3 times a week and do about 20 to 30 min of zumba right after. If anything the weights makes me a little week for zumba. I also try to do cardio on my off days.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the opinions. I'll read through them.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The trick is to do the cardio afterwards. I'd rather be fresh when lifting something heavy. You can jog/row/jump when you're tired and avoid injury. Lifting something when you're low on energy (eg after a 30 minute cardio session) increases the risk of injury through poor form.

I mean, I happily run around a tennis court until I'm dragging my feet. At worst, I'll just lose a match, not pop something in my spine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....after a 30 minute cardio session) increases the risk of injury through poor form.

Thirty minutes is just warming up ;)

But I think the key point that this draws out is what everyone means by cardio. The majority of respondents on these boards see it as 30 minutes of droning along at a moderate pace on one of the torture devices in the gym. In that case, it really doesn't matter as that's not a session where the quality really matters. If one is actively training; cycling, swimming, running, whatever, then the quality of the cardio session does matter, which is where one has to be more thoughtful about the session balance.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ya it's fine but do the cardio after your lifting. Your muscles will get more of a workout.

Can you explain the why about this? I do my weight lifting after cardio and now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. :)

They have actually done studies that shows that when you do weight training before cardio your cardio expenditure does not decrease, but when done opposite, your body is more fatigued and less likely to lift as heavy of weights, etc. :)

I don't know about the studies mentioned above, but this holds true for me. If I do cardio first I don't have the energy to make my lifts. So I do about 30 minutes of strength training then 30 minutes of cardio. Sometimes I throw in a 4th day of some type of circuit training strength/cardio/HITT, I don't have a problem with it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    ....after a 30 minute cardio session) increases the risk of injury through poor form.

Thirty minutes is just warming up ;)

But I think the key point that this draws out is what everyone means by cardio. The majority of respondents on these boards see it as 30 minutes of droning along at a moderate pace on one of the torture devices in the gym. In that case, it really doesn't matter as that's not a session where the quality really matters. If one is actively training; cycling, swimming, running, whatever, then the quality of the cardio session does matter, which is where one has to be more thoughtful about the session balance.

Ha. Yes, I did think that. Does depend on the intensity. Giving 100% for 30 minutes would have me knackered and ready to head home or at best the next 30 minutes would watch me slowly flagging. In either case, I would not want to be lifting heavy lumps of iron.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    Options
    Wow, you strength train 6 days/week? What strength program are you following?

I would suggest finding a 3 day program and do cardio opposite days. You can do it the way you are but will not be the most effective use of your workouts and recovery

I'm not following a program. I just split my strength training into three muscle groups and do them twice a week which equals 6 days.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I would suggest finding a 3 day program and do cardio opposite days. You can do it the way you are but will not be the most effective use of your workouts and recovery

I'm not following a program. I just split my strength training into three muscle groups and do them twice a week which equals 6 days.

I will guess back, upper body, and lower body.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ya it's fine but do the cardio after your lifting. Your muscles will get more of a workout.

Can you explain the why about this? I do my weight lifting after cardio and now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. :)

They have actually done studies that shows that when you do weight training before cardio your cardio expenditure does not decrease, but when done opposite, your body is more fatigued and less likely to lift as heavy of weights, etc. :)

Ive been able to lift the same amount before and after.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Ive been able to life the same amount before and after.

That cool but next time try a PR for running a mile then try PR for any muscle group. Something is going to give.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Do what works for your schedule and what you'll be able to stick to in the long run. That's all that matters!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your doing and what your goals are. I do kettlebells which is basically weighted cardio. i do three days on, one day just cardio and then a rest day. repeat.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I do something like that:

MONDAY
    UPPER BODY
    30 min cardio

TUESDAY
    ABS
    30 min cardio

WEDNESDAY
    LOWER BODY
    30 min cardio

THURSDAY
    ABS
    30 min cardio

FRIDAY
    30 min cardio

SATURDAY
    FULL BODY
    45-60 min cardio

Core problems so I work that the most..
  • bchia88
    bchia88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I do both every day, 7 days a week.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    Options

I will guess back, upper body, and lower body.

That seems like a good split, I may try that.

right now I have a three way split like this:

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    Biceps, Back, Abs
    Legs and butt
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio in the early morning and my weight lifting in the evening, all in the same day. :wink:

I do this only when I have to - usually a very early run and evening lifting with a lot of refueling in the middle.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of doing cardio then immediately weightlifting. If you do cardio with any intensity your lifting will suffer. For me personally, lifting is of the most importance so I prefer to do it on it's own day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio in the early morning and my weight lifting in the evening, all in the same day. :wink:

I do this only when I have to - usually a very early run and evening lifting with a lot of refueling in the middle.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of doing cardio then immediately weightlifting. If you do cardio with any intensity your lifting will suffer. For me personally, lifting is of the most importance so I prefer to do it on it's own day.

I just walk for 6 miles, at around 4 mph.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    That cool but next time try a PR for running a mile then try PR for any muscle group. Something is going to give.

And how much energy is actually burned in running a mile?

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/mythbusting-running-mile-always-burns-same-calories

I've seen lots of track runners at meets set a PR in a distance such as the mile, and also in other events on the same day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ummmm no. Strength training in and of itself, will continue to burn calories after your workout is over. Cardio burns calories while doing and stops burning calories when finished.
    Not actually true - there is an EPOC effect from cardio too.
    I've seen figures of 7% for steady state and 14% for HIIT. Small percentages but in the case of steady state or long duration it could be a small percentage of a large number.

Then again, hopefully people aren't just exercising for calorie burns.
    I live in hope!