Potatoes potatoes, wtf do i do with them?

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I chop them into chunks, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary, black pepper, and sea salt, and bake around 30 minutes at 400-425 degrees. Soooo good.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Bake potatoes with 2 % cheddar cheese, salsa, greek yogurt and green onions.

Potatoes in foil on the grill: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/06/grilled-fingerling-potatoes-with.html

Potatoes and onions roasted under a chicken in a bundt pan: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/roasted-chicken-in-bundt-pan.html
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Potato's are good for you.... they actually hold hunger off longer than a lot of other foods (at least that is my experience).

A current fav of mine, peel and cube them, toss in 1-2 tsp of olive oil, add a packet of ranch seasoning mix then broil for 20 minutes, stir, then broil for another 15-20 minutes. OMG a slice of heaven, and they go with so many things. With the EVOO and ranch there is no need for butter, sour cream or ketchup (like I see a lot of ppl doing)....
  • srodriguez416
    srodriguez416 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

Huh? In....for Potatoes and Salad.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    A LOT of good ideas here! I make a "loaded " baked potato with a little shredded cheddar real bacon bits, 0% Greek yogurt instead of sour cream/mayo and broccoli/ or broccoslaw. Good filling meal. Also can make a potato salad , like this and add fresh green beans, or Asparagus., fresh herbs, lemon juice.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted Greek style, like this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/greek-potatoes-oven-roasted-and-delicious-87782

Lemon potatoes are sooo yummy, and great with grilled chicken or fish. I would also add a splash of lemon after they finish roasting to up the flavor even more.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hasselback potatoes, if you like baked potatoes and like to add style to the plate it is the best way to go, imo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hasselback+potatoes&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

emma-stone-gifs-judging-summerfantasies.gif
    :love: :love: :love:

Scrolled through 4 pages and the potato Nazi didn't reply! WAH :sad:
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I usually make baked potato wedges or chop them up and throw them in any soups, stews, or curries. They go with almost everything, seriously. That or I bake one whole in 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-55 minutes; eat with butter and seasonings.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have some left over from making beef stew last weekend. I'm baking them in the Crock Pot this weekend.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I cube and them pan roast them in coconut oil with salt and pepper. When done I drizzle with EVOO, garlic powder, and sprinkle with parmesan. Delicious. Red potatoes are my favorite. :love:
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Potatoes will last an insane length of time when stored right...just cause you have them doesn't mean you need to use them NOW....if they are cooked, then yeah, use them...if not, store in a cool dark place.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you make the mash potato kind of stiff you can pipe it (like icing) onto a baking sheet and bake it up in the oven.

Also,..potato soup.

Stir in other things in your mash potatoes, like:
    -diced carrots and onions (both steamed before mixing)
    -cooked kale
    -sourcrout (ok,..that maybe an acquired taste.) with pineapple on top

Slice and bake the potato.
    of course baked potato (bake in the skin)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A simple and easy one but it's really good! Russian style pan-fried potatoes with onions. Here is one version you can try (too lazy to type in mine but this one is very close)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_OiMShhGk

If you have a cast iron pan or any other pan that is not a non-stick they would come out even better. The satisfaction of scraping off browned bits from the bottom is unparallelled.

It's very important you don't skimp on the oil. Sprays don't work and butter will burn because you have to get the oil pretty hot before adding potatoes.

Also note, they are not ready until they start to fall apart when you try to stir them and the onion is almost melting. Not sure if cutting them like in the video will produce the same results as we get. We simply slice them into 1 inch slices, but for the directions listed I suggest to just copy what she's doing.

Serve with low salt dill pickles on the side and roughly diced tomatoes, no ketchup or any other concussion necessary (well, maybe a bit of sour cream). You haven't lived until you tried this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hasselback potatoes, if you like baked potatoes and like to add style to the plate it is the best way to go, imo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hasselback+potatoes&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl
    ]

I have tried making Hasselback potatoes a couple of times, because they sound so good, but I have always found them to be sort of "meh". I wish I liked them more - they look so cool. And its not because we scrimped on the olive oil, seasoning, or even parmesan cheese on top. Even my husband who never met a potato he didn't like wasn't crazy about them, said, "they just aren't as good as they should be for how cool they look".
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options

]

I have tried making Hasselback potatoes a couple of times, because they sound so good, but I have always found them to be sort of "meh". I wish I liked them more - they look so cool. And its not because we scrimped on the olive oil, seasoning, or even parmesan cheese on top. Even my husband who never met a potato he didn't like wasn't crazy about them, said, "they just aren't as good as they should be for how cool they look".

I was the same way the first time I made then, but find if I start them just with a brushing of oil or fat and a little salt then half way into the cooking brush them again and full season them they come out crispier on the outside and creamy on the inside.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Food is not "good" or "bad" Its just food.

I'm pretty sure its just how you perceive them.

I eat potatoes in moderation, no problems so far.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've got two words for ya: potato-f@#$ing-pancakes
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Throw them away! They are evil and cause little monsters to sneak into your closet at night and shrink your clothes! RUN FOREST RUN!!!!! :bigsmile: