Walking, why do my calves hurt so much?

Options
Hi, just thought I bring my questions up here. I am in weight loss mode, and I have added some brisk walks to my workouts. I enjoy walking, and right now I need some form of excercise.
The problem is that even after stretching before I start, my calves start to hurt, tense up very quickly and is pretty painful, to the point that I need to stop.
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if there is anyting I can do to avoid it.
Anyone has the same issues?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you walking at all before you stretch? In general, it is better to warm up your muscles a bit before trying to stretch them.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you've got bad shoes. Also, how long are these walks?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Agree, you likely need new shoes. Not sure where you're located, but go to a proper running store rather than just a sporting goods store. Have them observe your gait and fit you for the right shoe. You will be amazed at the difference it will make.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I struggle with REALLY tight calves, so really good stretching after and even foam rolling helps me. Do you walk downhill a lot? Downhill is tough on my calves (I hike a lot). If you don't have an actual injury, good shoes and good stretching is what I would advise. Even some iceing after walking might help.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My first thought was shoes. Are you wearing those special walking shoes that are supposed to firm the legs and bottom? They can give you really tight calves.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you've got bad shoes. Also, how long are these walks?

^ This
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Try walking in bare feet - if your calves don't hurt you know its the shoes.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hi, just thought I bring my questions up here. I am in weight loss mode, and I have added some brisk walks to my workouts. I enjoy walking, and right now I need some form of excercise.
    The problem is that even after stretching before I start, my calves start to hurt, tense up very quickly and is pretty painful, to the point that I need to stop.
    I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if there is anyting I can do to avoid it.

See your doctor. This can be an early sign of peripheral artery disease.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Agree, you likely need new shoes. Not sure where you're located, but go to a proper running store rather than just a sporting goods store. Have them observe your gait and fit you for the right shoe. You will be amazed at the difference it will make.

This. Absolutely THIS! I used to get shin splints and calf pains. Always used to say that cheap trainers were just fine, why would anyone spend £100 on trainers, what a waste of money. Then after starting to do lots of walking and then starting to try and do a bit of running (well lolloping along really, your average granny on a zimmer frame can go faster than my running speed) and being in so much pain I got my gait analysis done, got myself a pair of Brooks and voila! No pain. Hasn't made me run any faster which is a shame, but I'm working on that ;)
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Are you walking at all before you stretch? In general, it is better to warm up your muscles a bit before trying to stretch them.

I definately agree. Do not stretch muscles that are cold.

You must must must must stretch out those calve muscles once you have finished your walk. Stretch out the bottoms of your feet too. I ignored doing so and ended up with Plantar Fasciitis. The Planter tendon starts in your calf and extends all the way underneath your foot.
  • juditdell
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!
    My walks are usually 30-45 minutes. I walk a bit uphill, that bothers me the most.
    I wear Nike air (torch I think), very comfortable, so I'm really not sure.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

See your doctor. This can be an early sign of peripheral artery disease.

While my initial thought is shoes that have broken down, this is something to beware. Do your legs hurt at other times? When I had my problems, I would almost cry in pain when the dog leaned on my leg. By the time I went to the doctor, I had a blood clot that ran from my knee to my ankle. I almost ended up hospitalized. Don't play with this possibility, if you have other concerns, get to the doctor. If none of this raises concern, follow some of the great suggestions to get good support shoes, insoles, or both and feel better!

Good luck, and happier walking.
  • juditdell
    Options
    Thank goodness no pain other times. Just when I walk briskly.

Thank you guys for the replies. I'll try to walk a bit first, then stretch. Then look at the shoes issue.
    Then go from there.
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Agree on warm up and then stretch.

You may also need to stretch a bit at times other that when you are going for a walk. Every morning before I even get out of bed I have a little routine.

Growing old ain't for sissy's!!
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Good orthotics saved me from crippling shin splints and calf pain. I now have more than 400 days of pain free brisk long walks under my belt.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One other thought. When not working out, do you wear heels all of the time? Your calves may not be used to the flatter walking shoes. It is good to change up your shoes so the calves and the shins both stretch and contract.