Scale won't budge!

Options
I have been very dedicated all week and even started some exercise (walking) but the scale hasn't moved not even 1 pound.
Same weight since last Friday. I log in my food faithfully so that I won't go over.

Any words of encouragement or ideas to move the scale would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The trick is to not get discouraged. Everyone's body is different. If you are not used to exercise or eating well it takes a while for your body to adapt and get used to the new change. Drinking at least 8 glasses ( 2 liters ) of water a day is essential. Sleep is also important. And if you are eating below 1200 calories your body will retain any food as it hits survival mode. These are definite factors of weight loss. I hope this helps!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Also, are you female? I know that sometimes I don't lose much because of where I am in my cycle...then the next week I lose quite a bit.
  • Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Im having the same problem.. Hows your water intake? Im getting better with it but still not quite there yet....
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Stay on track and keep logging. Sometimes our body doesn't want to let go of the weight. It could be any number of reasons why you haven't lost: too much sodium, not enough fluids, not enough calories, your body has adjusted to your workout so you need to switch it around...or the same with your calorie intake-your body has adjusted and now you need to either eat more calories for a few days or less. You'll have to play around with things and see what's going to work.

You aren't the only one this happens to...it happens to everyone! I had 4 pounds I kept losing and gaining for 4 weeks...finally they are gone!! You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mckenzie330
    mckenzie330 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling- I'm in the same boat. Have been working out everyday and eating right, keeping track of what I eat and making sure not to go way over my calorie limit. Even so, the scales numbers read the same- sometimes even a pound heavier
    The best words of encouragement I can give you are to have patience. And don't use the scales numbers as motivation, because eventually as you continue to work out you will build muscle which weighs more than fat. Don't base how you feel or your progress on just the scale. Base it on how you feel physically and emotionally, and give it time. Remember that your health comes first- if you are eating a balanced diet and excersizing at least 3 times a week for 30 mins each time, you are on the right track. Just stick with it, and eventually you will see your body start to change for the better. Numbers do not define everything, and the scale is not the be-all, end-all.

You can do it!
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Its normal, weight loss isn't half a pound a day, every day. If you've done the work and eaten right, it's coming. Without being graphic, it's on it's way out of you. You are not suffering starvation and you're body isn't clinging onto food, nor is it slowing down. Up your fibre if you've cut back on your food intake, sit back knowing you've done what needs to be done and your body will expel the waste and the scale will show the difference. Trust me, I know I am going to have a good weekend! :blushing:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Sooner or later your body is gonna say "Okay, I give up - here's the fat!!"
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    .I am female and have been overweight and not active for a long time now.

I am drinking at least 9 glasses of water and day and eating losts of fiber so hopefully things will change soon.

Thanks everyone for the words os encouragement and advice
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do drink lots of water (9-10 per day). I have a jug that hold 9 glasses and I fill it each morning and make sure that I drink it all by end of day. It helps me to keep track.

Hope this helps you with your water intake.
  • bethany4
    bethany4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've only lost 4 pounds in about 6 weeks. I'm gettin discouraged. Sometimes I go up a pound then back down. I drink water all day long, plus really keep track of what I eat - keeping it to 1200 calories. I walk at least 2 miles a day, except when I missed a couple days because of illness.
    What do you eat that contains the most fiber?
    Have a good day!
  • sheri1120
    sheri1120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started my weight loss journey on Valentines Day, yay, I love me. I have about 110 more pounds to me lose, but I decided to day to only weigh in once on Friday mornings. Weighing in everyday is frustrating, and could be a potential mind field in my motivation. I already FEEL great, my clothes feel a little less like a vice, and I think my goobly goop aka my chins has shrunk just a little. I don't want to be discouraged by the yo yoing scale. please add me as a friend!
  • bethany4
    bethany4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi sheri1120
    The scales still haven't budged. I started a high fiber eating plan this morning. I'm hoping this works. I think Menopause has a lot to do with this. Congrats on your success.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey