How often?

Options
I'm not super concerned with the workout I'm doing. I'm not too hung up the exact exercises. I'm not trying to build muscle, just trying to tone and lose weight. That being said, I'm doing SOMETHING 30 mins a day, four times a week. In the next few weeks I want to build my stamina to 45 mins. Would four days a week still be the best then? Anyone's input is wholly appreciated!

Replies

• K_Pam14
    K_Pam14 Posts: 11
    Options
    :) My doctor always says 30 mins/day, 5 days/week is ideal. I've also read many articles that suggest 150 mins/week to obtain and maintain wellness. So...I would assume you're making great strides with obtaining that wellness and if you're bumping it up to 45 mins/day...you'll be fine.

I find it's best to listen to your body. It's easy to get into and out of any fitness regimen. I started out forcing myself to walk/mow the lawn 30 mins/day 5 days/week and after 3 weeks, I CRAVED that exercise! So much that I found it difficult to take rest days and I went many months of working out 6-7 days each week!! Sadly, I went through some trying times and fell off the wagon completely. lol

Idk where you are in your fitness journey, but I wish you luck and just try to be mindful of your actions. Everybody has their own opinions and I found it best to experience it for myself and find what works for me. What may work for me may not for you and vice versa.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    FYI, you cannot "tone" muscle. You either build it or lose it. Period.
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm looking to tone fat. Nasty ol' smelly fat
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    In simple terms diet/nutrition is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness (cardiovascular health, physique, definition). So, technically you don’t have to do any exercise if weight loss is really the only thing you’re concerned with. But I don’t recommend it, exercise is good for you and I think what you are working on is a good goal.
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate that. I lost 75 pounds once by mainly just dieting. But I gained it back. I think if I exercise and get into that habit, I'll live a healthier life
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    60 mins a day every day of activity is recommended by most professionals. This doesn't mean exercise per se, but some kind of activity in chunks no less than 10 minutes.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate that. I lost 75 pounds once by mainly just dieting. But I gained it back. I think if I exercise and get into that habit, I'll live a healthier life

Yes, exactly. That has been my experience as well. Keeping the weight off (especially as I get older) is much easier when I exercise. I started off with 30 minutes 3 days a week and just kept working my way up from there, I didn't want to get burned out too fast. I also learned to exercise efficiently rather than excessively which made it easier to stick too. The best advice is to do what you can stick with and continue to try and improve.

Good luck!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm looking to tone fat. Nasty ol' smelly fat

You can't tone fat, you grow it or burn it. Definition comes from removing the fat on top of the muscle. To maintain muscle it is suggested you eat a good amount of protein but you would also need to mix in some strength training to your cardio. It takes a lot to look like a body builder.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would personally bump it up by 5 minutes per day. so if you currently do 30 min per day, then go up to 35 min per day for about a week, then add another 5 until you are up to 45 min per day. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting MORE exercise. but I think adding an extra 15 min per day would be difficult for me personally.