Picky Husband

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes that I can sneak veggies into? My husband is the worst when it comes to veggies and I'm at my wits end! I don't want to make two meals anymore! Or has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it?

Replies

• cagcooper
    cagcooper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When you make spaghetti or lasagna, throw some frozen spinach in the sauce...it's basil (wink...wink)!! Only put about a 1/2 a block in, otherwise it might be obvious.

I just made a Duncan Hines brownie mix this weekend with pureed black beans in the place of the oil and eggs. They are more "fudge-like", but my "meat and potatoes" hubby tried one and admitted that he liked it to me and other people. :-D

1 can of black beans, rinsed. Put them in a blender and puree the heck out of them (you will need to add water). Stir up the brownie mix with the black bean puree and add water as necessary (my brother had success with soy milk). You CAN NOT taste the black beans...

I'll try to think of more....
  • kfonner
    Options
    Check out the book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfield.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Tell him to make his own dinner..................... just kidding... kind of. But really... if he's not going to eat vegetables and requires a totally separate meal, then he needs to contribute to helping you out. It's all part of having a support system. But also there are some great ways to feed vegetables to a man who doesn't want them. You can roast them with olive oil and salt and pepper. They taste really, really good and I know a LOT of VERY picky men who do not like veggies that will eat them this way. Also, a vegetarian lasagna can be (surprisingly) lower in fat and calories per serving and can satisfy a picky man. Those are just a couple of the suggestions that my friends have told me about. They struggle with your same issue. You're not alone! :)
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I sneak carrots, celery, and red peppers into my meatloaf. and spinach into lasagna
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    Yep sneak them into pasta sauce or meat loaf or mashed potato.

Or do what I do.. I will only cook one meal not 2. He doesn't like it tough.:tongue: Bit harsh I know but I don't have time to cook 2 separate meals and he won't cook unless he absolutely has too. :huh:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Personally if it was me I'd make the meals my way and if hubby doesn't like it he can starve or make his own food. I just don't put up with pickiness since I also have 2 kids, imagine making 4 meals to please everyone! NO WAY!

Anyway I just wanted to wish you good luck finding ways to sneak in those veggies. I don't really have any tips sorry!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I sneak carrots, celery, and red peppers into my meatloaf. and spinach into lasagna

I do this also! I puree them and then mix them in the meatloaf. It's sooooo YUMMY! :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I put finely chopped carrots in almost everything. If you're using ground meat of any kind, put in a few chopped carrots. Maybe even some chopped celery. If the pieces are small enough (think food processor) you can't even see them, and they add good flavor that's not immediately recognizable as ZOMGVEGETABLE!!!11!!!1one! It's just good. The other day I put some fresh baby spinach in the food processor and mixed it with rice in a casserole with turkey and a white sauce, and even though it was a weird shade of green, everybody loved it.

Try some interesting meatless main dishes. Lentil loaf is a huge hit at our house, even with my two picky kiddos and my carnivore hubby. And carnivore me. :wink: Falafel is a bit finicky to make, but it's DELICIOUS, especially with a simple tzatziki sauce. You can find all kinds of recipes for both online.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options

I do this also! I puree them and then mix them in the meatloaf. It's sooooo YUMMY! :)

Ditto! With two boys who were picky as they could be growing up, I got them into them any way I could think of! :)
  • AlyssaDMurphy
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone! I will be trying some of those ideas soon.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Sneak mushrooms in the meatloaf as well...chop them up and use in place of bread crumbs
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    You take time to make 2 dinners???? You have one lucky husband! my husband eats whatever I make like it or not! Or he makes his own food!

Does he not like any veggies?
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    With my 2 year old, I puree veggies and add to things. When I make spagetti or pizza sauce, I throw in carrots and peppers and onions and squash and whatever I have and puree the sauce until it is smooth. He loves pizza so this is an easy way to get veggies in him. You can also mash cauliflour with mashed potatoes. Sneaking veggies into hamburgers, meatloaf or meat balls is really easy too. Just shred it thin with a cheese grater or garlic plain zester thingy and mix and mash. He eats it up and is none the wiser.