Over eating on rest days?

Options
So Thursdays are typically one of my rest days, but I have noticed that on Thursdays my typical 1800 calorie (203c, 135p, 50f) plan is not enough (I usually aim for 150g of protein per day). I've been on this diet plan since the middle of June and it has been working well and I've been getting results when I follow it how I should. Is it normal for the body to want to eat more on rest days? I know water is not the issue because I drink over a gallon a day.

Replies

• catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its normal, but I have a hard time keeping my diet in check on rest days too! I can do it the other 6 days most of the time, but that rest day, sheesh! It makes me want to exercise everyday just to avoid it
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    When I get bored, I tend to eat. Maybe boredom is the cause?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I do TDEE and eat the same amount each day, regardless of my exorcise level. It all balances out over the week and month.
  • sdewal
    sdewal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In some people exercise tends to suppress the appetite so it could very well be that you are hungrier on your rest days.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I know I am definitely hungrier on rest days!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just bored on rest days. I'm still learning how to tell if I'm actually hungry or if my body is tricking me because I'm used to eating whenever I wanted.

I go for a walk or something on rest days when I feel like I'm hungry.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I do TDEE and eat the same amount each day, regardless of my exorcise level. It all balances out over the week and month.

^^ This!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you have a simple choice: either modify your day to fit into the 1800 calorie goal or get in a light walk or swim, etc
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

^^ This!!

actually I did this for a while. it probably will work for you too and take the stress off of you
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

^^ This!!

actually I did this for a while. it probably will work for you too and take the stress off of you

How do y'all know she's not following TDEE method already?
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why not just carry forward some exercise calories from active days so you can have a bit more on your rest days without worrying? It'll all balance out across the week and stop you feeling deprived.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I eat at a 500 calorie deficit on my 5 workout days (without eating back any exercise calories), but at maintenance on my 2 rest days. I don't know if I'm "hungrier" on rest days per se, but being able to treat myself without undoing the work I did during the remainder of the week definitely feels good :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Same here. But I don't do rest days either... even if it's just going for a 3 miles walk, I'll do something.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always eat more on rest days but I think it's boredom. The good news is that I don't eat back exercise calories during the week so it all even out.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is "normal," BUT I always feel like this. I definitely eat more on my rest days. I feel hungrier. I don't know if there is a physical explanation for this.

I didn't go to the gym yesterday, and I was 300 calories over. I was under by 100 both Mon & Tues; and will probably be under by 100-150 today. So my deficit for 3 days negates my overage. I try not to take too many rest days!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Your body might be asking for more energy if on working days you work hard. Calories are energy.
  • chelseac1014
    chelseac1014 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone, I appreciate all of the feedback. I do not eat at TDEE because I am still trying to lose weight and decrease body fat. In the future I will probably try that method. I do think that exercising does decrease my appetite because after I forced myself to workout I was not hungry like I was before. I may start implementing light exercise on my rest days, so I don't feel so hungry.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

^^^^^^This - switched June 2nd, much easier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone, I appreciate all of the feedback. I do not eat at TDEE because I am still trying to lose weight and decrease body fat. In the future I will probably try that method. I do think that exercising does decrease my appetite because after I forced myself to workout I was not hungry like I was before. I may start implementing light exercise on my rest days, so I don't feel so hungry.

Just to be clear, when people say they are using the TDEE method, it doesn't mean we're eating at TDEE, but we're using the TDEE-20% or 15% method... so we eat the same amount every day, but still at a deficit. You could just eat only part of your exercise calories the rest of the time to have calories left on your rest day, which is really the same thing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    you're just bored.