Workplace Affair Rumors - Based on Fact or Not?

Options
So_Much_Fab
So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
I’ve heard some rumors around the office regarding two work colleagues that are in a different location from my office. They’re both married, and rumor is that they might be fooling around. This is based on observances; things that they’ve done that seem to be beyond what two people in an plutonic office friendship would do.

Note that I don’t participate in the rumors, everything I’ve heard was from the conversations of others'.

This got me to thinking. When you hear rumors of that nature, do you find that they’re based on some shred of truth, or are they typically just empty rumors? I can’t recall ever hearing rumors about an office ‘romance’ that didn’t ultimately turn out to be true. There were two people here in my office area that everyone talked about – again – both of them married. At one point someone that I work closely with caught them kissing in a dark back office area, so apparently that particular rumor was true!

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    After strenous investigating, I've come to the conclusion that some are true and some are false.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was never one who paid any attention to the rumor mills at work (unless it was something that directly effected me lol). There was a rumor once about two people having an affair and it turned out to be true.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    After strenous investigating, I've come to the conclusion that some are true and some are false.

lol. yes, this sounds about right.

Honestly I think more of the rumors I've heard about this tend to be totally false. People like to say things to stir up controversy. Sometimes the "shred of truth" is less than that, even. I worked with a woman who was married, blonde, buxom, and bawdy...rumors flew that she was getting it on with half the male staff especially when two of them bought her Godiva chocolates for her birthday...I was there when she flat out ASKED both of those guys to buy her the chocolates, it was a power play thing on her part and she was over the top flirty but I would bet serious money she never touched any of our male coworkers. I think several people who were jealous of her looks or judged her flirty behavior as being inappropriate liked to get those rumors flying that she was doing all kinds of stuff with the guys at work.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have found rumors about people to have been created out of pure spite and having no bases in true life.
  • tamara3226
    Options

Exactly!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Some are true.
    Some are false.
    None are any of my business!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I heard that one of the ladies at work was cheating and I just chalked it up to jealousy and spite. Then one morning I finally rolled over and asked her "You're not cheating on your husband are you?" She said she wasn't so I take her word for it over those other women.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb when it comes to office rumors: if someone gossips to you, eventually they'll gossip about you.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Were these rumors sponken by male or female colleagues?

I have my biased/sexist assumptions on work place gossip...but that's just me...and I consider myself a (guy) feminist.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great! Now I have Depeche Mode's Blasphemous Rumours running around in my head. Thanks for nothing, ya'll. :grumble:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have been the focus of workplace affair rumors and they can in deed be false as was the case for me. People act like a man & woman can't possibly just be good close friends w/o having an affair.
  • FitGal4ever42
    FitGal4ever42 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question ? It could happen.. I am sure it has happened .. and prob. will happen again... also it could just be a rumor.. and not of happened.. but let's face it I am sure there is plenty of people that could have a F**K buddy at work... also there are plenty of back stabbing co-workers out there trying to start ****.....So to answer.. I would go with both.. Fact and not fact... I hope I helped. but somehow I don't think I have... :ohwell:
  • So_Much_Fab
    Options
    Were these rumors sponken by male or female colleagues?

I have my biased/sexist assumptions on work place gossip...but that's just me...and I consider myself a (guy) feminist.

Guys. And FTR I'm not a guy.
  • So_Much_Fab
    Options
    Is this a trick question ?

Nope, just bored today. :wink:

I know this isn't a question that can truly be answered, I guess I was just looking for others' experiences.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Some are true.
    Some are false.
    None are any of my business!

^^ this. If people are spending all their time gossiping, they aren't getting their work done. I choose not to participate in gossip - it interferes with productivity and I want to leave work on time to beat traffic. Edited to add the fact that I now work from home - no one here to talk to except for Gordon, my daughter's lizard. He doesn't say much.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    plutonic (pluːˈtɒnɪk)
    adj
    1. (Geological Science) (of igneous rocks) derived from magma that has cooled and solidified below the surface of the earth. Also: abyssal

Platonic (pləˈtɒnɪk)
    adj

2. (often not capital) free from physical desire: Platonic love.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have the same rumor about me with a co-worker.

We work together and work out together and we are friends. So I must be banging him too!!
    :drinker:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Platonic. Unless maybe they're really into geology. Just sayin'............ha ha
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give a rat's a** what my co-workers do. I ignore all of them. I just do my work and leave.