Now Accepting Applications for: Supportive Weight-loss Frie

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a 27 y/o who works a desk job in Corporate America. Working 8 hours a day makes it really hard to live a healthy lifestyle, especially where I work. There is food EVERYWHERE, between the awesome cafe we have to team pitch ins and team breakfasts...sometimes I feel like I'm literally SURROUNDED by food! A lot of my coworkers talk about losing weight, but only one or two of us are actually doing anything about it. Of the small group of us who are losing weight and striving for a healthier lifestyle, I'm the only one who's choosing to do it by calorie counting, and sometimes I don't think the people I work with understand how hard it can be to get started . My husband of 2.5 years is ridiculously supportive. It helps a LOT that he's dieting with me, but he has a lot less weight to lose. My ultimate goal is 120 pounds, but I'm breaking it down into smaller, more realistic chunks.

I'm in desperate need of supportive online friends! I know I do better when I surround myself with positive, supportive people. I haven't been at the dieting/exercising long this time - my week mark is on Friday - and I need as much love as I can get! I need all the advice/help/reassurance/commiseration/giggles/support I can get!

Replies

• mariasheehan
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!!

I know how you feel, I used to work in a multinational that had an amazing cafe and we used to have a tonne of meetings there! the only good thing was, there was lots of choice, so I could have a salad every day and just walk by the pastries. I HATE making salads at home, so that was a positive!!! Congrats in taking the first step towards a healthier you, I agree the beginning is the absolute worst, it's when you have to make it a habit and it's just painful. Well everyone here is in the same boat, so you'll get lots and lots of support and love :=) Just keep logging your food, look for support when you need it and search the forums for lots of advice.

I wish you the very best on your journey!!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Submitting my application for the job of supportive weight-loss friend:) Welcome, glad to have you here! Anything you need, just ask:)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can add me, Im a 24y/o student, also working desk job part time, I usually sit around a lot but I can at least usually control the food I have around... so add me for support:)!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We have almost the same goals/situations. I work as an admin., at a desk for 8hrs., 5 days a week. I think breaking your overall weight loss goal down into manageable pieces is a great idea! I'm aiming for small milestones, my first is to get under 200lbs.

I love the online support from MFP, it's so encouraging!! Add me as a friend if you'd like!!
  • blackchick85
    Options
    i'm your exact boat...monday thru friday 8-5 been here almost 7 years and have gained about 60-70lbs!!!!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I would love to support you also. I dont work any more in an office setting but I am constantly around food because of ministry and people who talk about losing weight and no one really making the effort to do it or to support me properly while I am trying to.
    add me as a friend if you like. And know you can conquer this!
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Welcome! I work a desk job in Corporate America too. I found what helped me the most is looking at it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. I have all but eliminated soda and junk food from my eating. I have upped the fruits and veggies, cut way back on the breads and pastas and set myself on a weekly exercise plan. Also, I make sure I get a healthy breakfast every day and drink plenty of water.

Good luck to you on your journey! Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • MandyLynn9708
    Options
    Hello, My name is Mandy.
    Im 22 and im also looking to lose weight.
    This is probably the hardest thing iver ever had to do, and for awhile i was doing great.
    I lost 8 pounds but after the holidays gained it back.
    So now i am back to square on starting over on my weight lose journey.
    I am in the same boat and need support. I love my boyfriend but he is a twig and can eat what ever he wants and dosnt gain a pound. So i turn to the people on here for support.
    Good luck i hope you get rid of all the pounds you want to.
    :smile:
  • bobanda
    bobanda Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey I'm Amanda - I work in "academic" America - but still a desk job! I'm 28 years old and finally deciding to take care of myself, and using MFP to get started.
  • tshardin
    tshardin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that you are doing this right so "GO YOU". I was really overweight for years. When I lost the weight I finally quit trying all the stupid stuff and just changed my life. Five years later I am still living with that change. The first five months are the hardest. I call it white fisted abstinence. I hated it but I just refused to overeat. I would love to be supportive and let me say that it gets easier. Keep working it is worth it.
  • rrof84
    rrof84 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I work in an office 8 to 10 hours a day, and there are always cakes and chocolates and cookies around! The people in work are trying to be supportive, but my willpower (or lack thereof!) is letting me down badly!!

Hoping to find some lovely supportive people on here to keep me going and help keep my spirits up!!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the amount of support in just the last few hours.

THANK YOU! I'm excited to see how we all change, inside and out!
  • lsd5010
    Options
    I would love to be a supportive friend! I am in a similar situation to you, desk job, surrounded by food ALL OF THE TIME! I look forward to getting to know you.
  • lsd5010
    Options
    I would love to be a supportive friend! I am in a similar situation to you, desk job, surrounded by food ALL OF THE TIME! I look forward to getting to know you.
  • olivejuice82
    Options
    I would love to be apart of your support group. I've had eating troubles to and am now trying to find a new lifestyle! The first step is always the hardest but on this website it gets a little easier.
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd like to submit my application as well. I'm 24 and have the same work situation (I work with nmandamarie, actually)! I was 228 a year ago. I got to 206 on WW in April 2010. I slacked off since then and got back to 217 after holidays and vacation in Dec.

CW: 209
    1st Goal: 199
    Ultimate GW: 170
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Happy to add new friends. The more the merrier. I am open to all friend requests as well. LETS GET THIS DONE! WE CAN DO IT :)
  • kimmyh70
    kimmyh70 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I can feel your pain, 13yrs at a desk job in corp America myself, not easy to lose weight when you're sitting at a desk all day! This is a great site and there are so many people who will help and support you on your journey. Good luck to you, I'll send a friend request.
  • cagcooper
    cagcooper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask if you worked in my office!!! LOL There is always a "celebration" of some sort going on that involves food...it IS hard, but you can do it!

You can add me as a friend, as well. I sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day, so I understand your 'work-life". Luckily, there are stairs in my building, so I make it a point to get up every couple of hours to walk around the building (during bad weather) or outside the building when it's nice outside. :)

Good luck...it looks like you are getting a lot of applicants!!
  • Shrink2140
    Options
    Welcome! I am new here too and have many of the same struggles as you are. Hopefully we can all help each other through this and reach our goals!!