Runner's Bowels :'(

2»

Replies

• ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    I have major issues in this department, and running in the morning before I've eaten seems to help. Otherwise, I plan a route with a bathroom in the first mile or 2 or do a "poop loop"--a mile or so that loops back to my house so I can stop--before the meat of my run. I'll also take laxatives (recently Miralax--stimulant laxatives are so miserable) a day or two before to clear everything out.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    I suggest breaking up your exercise. Plan for a 1 mile run, in other words - use your consistency to your advantage.

Try going to the bathroom, then a 1 mile run (go 0.5 miles then turn around and come back), go to the bathroom, do some nice long stretches, maybe for 20 minutes, and then start your run for the day (nice and limber). The first mile will essentially be your warm up, and the stretches will keep you loose for your actual training run.

See if that will work.

I've definitely heard of the "runner's poops" before.
  • woodworkingbymike
    woodworkingbymike Posts: 3 Member
    Think of it this way, great way to stay regular, better out then in
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    I had this problem, and for me, the solution is to drink a cup of coffee about a half hour before I'm planning on running.

QFT

Have coffee, dodder around the house a bit, eliminate. Also what you eat the night before effects what you "do" in the morning. As you adjust you might want to have dinners be a bit on the lighter side and eat the bulk of your calories at breakfast or lunch. It gets better with time.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Is this phenomen limited to running or any high cardio/endurance lengthy activity?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I don't know if it's just me, but if I run soon after I wake up in the morning, I get the scoots pretty quickly. Idk wtf the issue is, but I hate it! So I work out during the evening about 3 hours after I eat (any sooner than that, scoots again). But like someone else suggested, I do have exercise induced anaphylaxis, which is an allergy to exercise (haha, yea I know). I can't make the connection of why the scoots happen in the morning, but they do. And I don't eat anything at all in the morning before I run. No ideas.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,386 Member
    I am very familiar with runner's trots. Normally I just wait it out, suffer through for the run. However, as I've increased distance, as others have said, trots have decreased. I also find that if I run first thing in the morning it's not as bad as in the afternoon.
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Hey you are not alone, my Mum is 71 and still runs ( half marathons the lot). Best things she has found are no caffeine, and no fatty foods 48 hours before a race. She also only has porridge for breakfast the day before.

Go on runners world bet there are loads of posts to match this :wink: