Electrolyte balance

Options
Been a tough couple of weeks here in the desert. Work outdoors. Humidity is up some along with the heat. In the past I have had issues with dehydration that required some medical attention in a more hot humid climate. I never have issues when the humidity is very low.

I have been watching my hydration carefully and taking cool down breaks as needed. But I have been getting some cramping and lightheadedness later in the evenings and at night. I'm loosing my salts. What is an effective supplement to keep a balance of electrolytes besides sports drinks?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Been a tough couple of weeks here in the desert. Work outdoors. Humidity is up some along with the heat. In the past I have had issues with dehydration that required some medical attention in a more hot humid climate. I never have issues when the humidity is very low.

I have been watching my hydration carefully and taking cool down breaks as needed. But I have been getting some cramping and lightheadedness later in the evenings and at night. I'm loosing my salts. What is an effective supplement to keep a balance of electrolytes besides sports drinks?
    What's wrong with a sports drink?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

I would guess that the problem with sport drinks is the sugar content.

Try Smartwater. I also use Hammer electrolyte tablets. I'm easily dehydrated and these things tend to keep me feeling well.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I would guess that the problem with sport drinks is the sugar content.

Try Smartwater. I also use Hammer electrolyte tablets. I'm easily dehydrated and these things tend to keep me feeling well.
    They make low sugar (gatorade G2) or calorie free (vitamin water zero, power aid zero) sports drinks...
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use Mio sport. I don't know if anoyne else uses it but it does the trick for me. I used to feel sick and light headed after my workouts until I started adding it to my water.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    bump fore more ideas...
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I make my own Gatorade without carbs/sugar from 16oz water, 3/4tsp potassium chloride and 1 packet of Crystal Light On The Go. I drink it twice a day because I was having horrible leg cramps every night in bed. Been drinking this for 3-4 weeks and have not had any cramps. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Add a grain of Celtic sea salt to each glass of water you drink throughout the day. You could probably also use something like the Himalayan pink salt, although I'm not sure about the mineral balance in that.
  • hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against sports drinks in general. I just don't really care for the way I feel once I consume them.

Today I bought some emergen-c to try out. Once the humidity is gone down to below 20-30% I will be all good.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything against sports drinks in general. I just don't really care for the way I feel once I consume them.

Today I bought some emergen-c to try out. Once the humidity is gone down to below 20-30% I will be all good.

Someone on here pointed out to me that Emergenc doesn't have enough electrolytes however the same company makes an electrolyte packet as well.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use Mio and other electrolyte drinks to add to water but have just started alkaline water and it really is doing the trick for me I was advised to drink it after workouts when long and it tastes good expensive but better than leg cramps and of fashioned salt tablets
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the mio fit (it has to be the FIT variety, the others don't have electrolytes). I add it to all my water that I drink during workouts and since you can add as much as you want there's less of a chance of the salt content being too strong if that's what's upsetting your system.