Is this a good workout routine?(fat loss must lose 80lbs)

Options
Aries_95
Aries_95 Posts: 45 Member
I'm a girl, 20 years :) 1700 calories a day and my body fat percentage is SO HIGH! I can't do more than 10-15 minutes of cardio but i love strength! Does this sound like a good workout routine for both cardio & strength (I only have 1 lb dumbells & im too weak to carry any more & i want to lose FAT and get a tighter body not bulk up or be skinny fat) ? (adding 5 minutes each week) my aim is to lose the 80 lbs in a year hopefully.. Any advices & tips are welcomed i'm new to this!

daily;
up & down the stairs for 10-15 minutes
jumping jacks for 5-10 minutes
100-150 squats
50 side kicks
50 lunges
50 crunches

(chest fly & chest press every other day)

Replies

• Aries_95
    Options
    I wrote a previous post but for some reason I can't edit it nor reply so sorry for spamming :)
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Thank you! but does this seem like a good routine? Is it enough cardio\strength for a beginner?
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Initial thoughts, it looks ok... ish. You might want to consider a bit more variety and breaking it up more? Could get quite tedious so regularly doing the same thing (and consequently more difficult to keep yourself motivated). Do a Google for something along the lines of "Full Body Routines", you'll get hundreds, if not actually thousands, of hits back and find the one that looks most suited for you.

Oh and the whole weights/bulking up thing, don't stress it. Largely a myth in my humble (yet oft-maligned) opinion. :wink:

Thank you! but does this seem like a good routine? Is it enough cardio\strength for a beginner?
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i'm no expert, but i've done a bit of reading and also have been doing cardio for years and strength training for almost a year. so my advice is based on my results and what i've read as far as how to achieve results.

if you can't do more than 10 - 15 minutes of cardio because of time constraints, then you need to make every second of that cardio count in order to burn the most calories (which in turn will make you lose fat if you are eating less enough to create a deficit). so, going up and down stairs is great, but you need to make it challenging/intense -- something that's gonna really get your heart rate up, ideally to somewhere between 160 - 175. if you like, you can make it high intensity interval training by doing quick intervals of running up the stairs, then going slowly back down.

if you can only do cardio for 10 - 15 mins because you're just starting, then you should gradually (say, once every two weeks) increase the time by a few minutes until you're going for at least 30 minutes. as you lose weight you'll need to increase calorie burn because the lighter it gets, your body won't lose calories as easily (because it takes more work for your body to burn them).

the body weight exercises you do are good, but i agree you should add in some more variation. try some pushups, planks, mountain climbers. weight machines are good, but i feel that body weight exercises and dumbbells are the best. i like the hip abduction and hip adduction machines, as i feel those do work those areas in a way that i haven't found body weight exercises to work (but i'm sure there are some exercises out there). as far as being too weak to carry more than 1 lb -- the more you use the weights, the stronger you will get, and you will be able to progress to heavier weights. if you stay at 1 lb and you get used to it, you're not going to be doing much to increase your strength and firm up your muscles. you need to challenge them once they get strong enough to easily do work with the 1 lb weights.

your plan at the moment is just fine for a beginner -- but in order to progress, you will need to gradually step it up once your body gets used to the workouts you are doing.
  • Aries_95
    Options
    i'm no expert, but i've done a bit of reading and also have been doing cardio for years and strength training for almost a year. so my advice is based on my results and what i've read as far as how to achieve results.

if you can't do more than 10 - 15 minutes of cardio because of time constraints, then you need to make every second of that cardio count in order to burn the most calories (which in turn will make you lose fat if you are eating less enough to create a deficit). so, going up and down stairs is great, but you need to make it challenging/intense -- something that's gonna really get your heart rate up, ideally to somewhere between 160 - 175. if you like, you can make it high intensity interval training by doing quick intervals of running up the stairs, then going slowly back down.

if you can only do cardio for 10 - 15 mins because you're just starting, then you should gradually (say, once every two weeks) increase the time by a few minutes until you're going for at least 30 minutes. as you lose weight you'll need to increase calorie burn because the lighter it gets, your body won't lose calories as easily (because it takes more work for your body to burn them).

the body weight exercises you do are good, but i agree you should add in some more variation. try some pushups, planks, mountain climbers. weight machines are good, but i feel that body weight exercises and dumbbells are the best. i like the hip abduction and hip adduction machines, as i feel those do work those areas in a way that i haven't found body weight exercises to work (but i'm sure there are some exercises out there). as far as being too weak to carry more than 1 lb -- the more you use the weights, the stronger you will get, and you will be able to progress to heavier weights. if you stay at 1 lb and you get used to it, you're not going to be doing much to increase your strength and firm up your muscles. you need to challenge them once they get strong enough to easily do work with the 1 lb weights.

your plan at the moment is just fine for a beginner -- but in order to progress, you will need to gradually step it up once your body gets used to the workouts you are doing.

Can i expect to lose 2 lbs a week by doing this? Or i won't till i start working out more? Can i alternate between either going up& down the stairs 10-15 minutes with walking on 3mp/3.5mph for half an hour?
  • ejohnson_ar
    ejohnson_ar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ANY activity beats none. If you do that and you stay in your calorie goal you will most likely lose the weight you want.

I've lost 62 lbs since January. I do not drink anything but water or fresh made veggie juice (from my juicer). At all. No soda ever. I stay in my calorie goal. I walk a mile and swim for an hour at the community center 3-5 times per week and I go sit-ups, squats and such at home. I was 230 lbs when I started and I'm 168 now.

I had weeks that I lost 2lbs, one or two where I lost 3 and a lot where I lost one. I've even had weeks where I lost nothing at all. So please remember that it will vary. When you get bored with that workout certainly google more. There are a LOT of things you can do right at home that are a great workout. When you notice that your weights are heavy enough, go up to 5lbs. As long as you are doing something you are lapping everyone still on the couch. ;)

Be *honest* with your calorie tracker. When you lie or cheat you are only lying to and cheating on yourself.
  • tatumpa3
    tatumpa3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of repitions for a beginner! Or have you just started back working out? You might discourage yourself if you can't do 100-150 lunges. That really is a lot! I always started off with 3 sets of 10. (And it was a killer!) :smile: Walking is the best exercise (starting off) ... just add your weights with it.
  • tatumpa3
    tatumpa3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ejohnson: Awesome & encouraging! I missed breakfast this morning .... so I stopped at Long John Silvers. I had the baked code (it was really good - or I was really hungry!). I should have skipped the rice and hush puppies. I'm trying to limit my carb count too! BUT.... I tracked the correct calories as you said! I also drank water! I watched Dr. Oz yesterday and he spoke of giving up pop/soda... even the diet soda is really bad. I haven't looked but he has a 30 day challenge to give up pop on his website. I think I'm going to try it too.

Thank you forf the encouragement! And keep up the good work! I know you feel fantastic now! I've got 50 lbs to lose!
  • PTjoshua
    Options
    Your generally doing what most females do and get wrong...

What you need to be aiming for is something called sarcoplasmic hypertrophy - this will give you better strength in the muscle but also help shape it so that when body fat goes down you are able to get the 'tone'

Now, even though I don't know you, your biomechanics, body type etc, what I do know is that females need lower volume higher resistance training.

Rep ranges of between 5-8 is generally the sweet spot. Once your form goes then class that as overload.

I would focus on major lifts such as squatting, dead lifts, press's and rows.

Again this is a blanket prescription but honestly, I wouldn't bother with the higher rep stuff.

Search for a lady called Rachel Guy. Trust me, she is one of the best and well known female trainers in the world. She features on many podcasts giving out free advice.

Be lucky
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one that you enjoy and will stick with. If this works for you, great - keep at it. If you start to plateau, move on to something else. If it becomes easy - look for something harder.

As for being too weak to work with any more than 1lb weights, I bet you can do more. Do you ever carry a bag of groceries, a big purse or a book bag? Those things likely weigh more than a pound.
  • laureneliseashton
    Options
    That looks pretty good for cardio. But just know, that weight loss comes mainly from change in diet. As much as we want to kick and scream about it, its the truth. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. You can have beautifully toned abdominal muscles, but they cannot be seen so long as there is fat layers over them. I would recommend revamping your diet plan, yes stopping at Long John Silver's is probably not ideal (though I know it is delicious).

Try to stick with loads of fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. Brown rice, quinoa, beans, and fish. Try to avoid red meats, cheese, processed meats. Processed food should be a rarity. If you do this, the excess fat will fall off your body and you will feel invigorated with health. Drink at least 2 Liters of water per day as well! Try to stay active everyday, even if that means walking at a brisk pace for thirty minutes.

i hope this helps!

xo good luck
  • Aries_95
    Options
    ANY activity beats none. If you do that and you stay in your calorie goal you will most likely lose the weight you want.

I've lost 62 lbs since January. I do not drink anything but water or fresh made veggie juice (from my juicer). At all. No soda ever. I stay in my calorie goal. I walk a mile and swim for an hour at the community center 3-5 times per week and I go sit-ups, squats and such at home. I was 230 lbs when I started and I'm 168 now.

I had weeks that I lost 2lbs, one or two where I lost 3 and a lot where I lost one. I've even had weeks where I lost nothing at all. So please remember that it will vary. When you get bored with that workout certainly google more. There are a LOT of things you can do right at home that are a great workout. When you notice that your weights are heavy enough, go up to 5lbs. As long as you are doing something you are lapping everyone still on the couch. ;)

Be *honest* with your calorie tracker. When you lie or cheat you are only lying to and cheating on yourself.

Wow that's impressive!! Might I ask what was your caloric intake & how many inches have you lost (If you kept track)?
  • Aries_95
    Options
    It seems like a lot of repitions for a beginner! Or have you just started back working out? You might discourage yourself if you can't do 100-150 lunges. That really is a lot! I always started off with 3 sets of 10. (And it was a killer!) :smile: Walking is the best exercise (starting off) ... just add your weights with it.

I started working out again today.. But oh god you're right! Those were too many reps lol :) I gues i'll go for 15/10 reps x3!
    Thank you!
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Your generally doing what most females do and get wrong...

What you need to be aiming for is something called sarcoplasmic hypertrophy - this will give you better strength in the muscle but also help shape it so that when body fat goes down you are able to get the 'tone'

Now, even though I don't know you, your biomechanics, body type etc, what I do know is that females need lower volume higher resistance training.

Rep ranges of between 5-8 is generally the sweet spot. Once your form goes then class that as overload.

I would focus on major lifts such as squatting, dead lifts, press's and rows.

Again this is a blanket prescription but honestly, I wouldn't bother with the higher rep stuff.

Search for a lady called Rachel Guy. Trust me, she is one of the best and well known female trainers in the world. She features on many podcasts giving out free advice.

Be lucky

So what you're saying is that i should go easy on the reps? 10/15 reps x3 are good right? And how does everything else look? The cardio and all
  • Aries_95
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one that you enjoy and will stick with. If this works for you, great - keep at it. If you start to plateau, move on to something else. If it becomes easy - look for something harder.

As for being too weak to work with any more than 1lb weights, I bet you can do more. Do you ever carry a bag of groceries, a big purse or a book bag? Those things likely weigh more than a pound.

I can go higher than 1 but I can't do many reps carrying them!!
    How many minutes of cardio and reps of strength should I be adding each day/week? If i'm currently doing 15 minutes of cardio & 15 x3 of strength?
  • Aries_95
    Options
    That looks pretty good for cardio. But just know, that weight loss comes mainly from change in diet. As much as we want to kick and scream about it, its the truth. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. You can have beautifully toned abdominal muscles, but they cannot be seen so long as there is fat layers over them. I would recommend revamping your diet plan, yes stopping at Long John Silver's is probably not ideal (though I know it is delicious).

Try to stick with loads of fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. Brown rice, quinoa, beans, and fish. Try to avoid red meats, cheese, processed meats. Processed food should be a rarity. If you do this, the excess fat will fall off your body and you will feel invigorated with health. Drink at least 2 Liters of water per day as well! Try to stay active everyday, even if that means walking at a brisk pace for thirty minutes.

i hope this helps!

xo good luck

Thank you so much!!!! Do you think i'll suffer from loose skin if i do this the healthy & slow way? I don't mind a little loose skin I already have some.. but not the point that i can't wear shorts cause it looks disgusting :(
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    At 20 years old, if you are too weak to carry more than 1 pound (which I'm guessing isn't true), I'm guessing you have some medical issues. My advice - get to a doctor.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me verity is the key to life although I am sure we are ll different. If you are heavy for your frame watch the jumping jacks as well on your knees. Make sure you stretch out after your exercising as well and try and cool down. Also make sure you hit your macros - I would suggest bosting protein from MFP a little as well. Its great you are doing this so well done for deciding to have a better life. As I said varity is important to me, if I did the same thing repetitively I would get bored unless I really love it. If you find it harder psychological to do after a few days, don't give up just do something different :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I can go higher than 1 but I can't do many reps carrying them!!
    How many minutes of cardio and reps of strength should I be adding each day/week? If i'm currently doing 15 minutes of cardio & 15 x3 of strength?

For cardio - If this is your first go at exercise for a while keep at this for about 3 weeks and then increase slowly - 10% a week should be safe from what I understand. It doesn't sound a lot but it soon picks up. After 10 weeks you will have more than doubled what you are doing. Listen to your body though if you can, if it is screaming at you slow down or have a rest for a day, if it is responding as if you are lying in bed then do more :-) Obvious I'm sure but I thought I would point it out. Also you may find that you respond differently from day to day so if you are feeling tired take it easy. The important (REALLY MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS) is to still be doing it in 6 months time . If you do you will be amazed at the results you are getting I'm sure. Don't overdo the calorie restriction either. It is tempting to really go full out but it is better to go a little slower than we want (for me anyway). Our bodies need decent food to get stronger. There is a balance between cutting too quick and not cutting enough. If you cut too quick your fitness will not improve as quickly as it would do and you may get ill or injured. The amount of calorie deficit that would be best for you is a magic number that no one knows but if you look around MFP or on the internet there are plenty of approximations which will get you going (worst come to the worst just use MFP but as I said before eat more protein that it suggests).
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Don't overlook the benefits of just plain walking. It doesn't even have to be a fast pace, so a long walk can be something you do in your resting time and on your days you don't workout. It does burn calories and has positive effects for your legs and core muscles. Walking an extra mile or two a day really adds up over time and could help drop 5-10 pounds in the course of a year.