Breathing, Running, Stitch and Me

Options
So, I've been running (well as close to it as I can get) for a while now, first started in the gym then moved onto roads/paths. I moved to paths because I found it hard to regulate my speed on the treadmill (walking too slow, running too fast). I used to just run a circuit around my neighbourhood which came in about 3k but have since upped it to 5k. The only problem is my breathing when I run. I have to run intervals of 1 minute running to 2 minutes walking. Anymore than 1 minute running and I can't breathe even though I concentrate on keeping my breathing steady.

I think my problem with breathing is stopping me from being able to drink while running. I can't even rinse my mouth and spit it back out without having to come to a complete standstill first. If I don't stop completely I get bad stitch and have had to retire on occasions before reaching my end point because it's hurt too much.

Have any of you ever had this problem? If so how did you get over it?
If not, do you still have some tips?

I've asked my doctor and his reply was that it was probably just because I'm unfit (I've been running for 2 years now and it hasn't gotten any better). I've also been tested for asthma (had it as a child) and the test came back clear. When I'm scheduling a run I have to make sure I haven't eaten or drank anything for 2hrs+ before I go otherwise I don't get even half way round.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Keep running. It gets better. Also, are you at your goal weight? The reason I ask is that the less body mass you have the easier it is to run.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I can't breath when I run. And then I started taking yoga classes that focus on breathing and somehow even though it's all what I already know (i.e. breathe at a pace, etc.) it made a huge difference in my runs. I also try to match my inhales to my steps and that keeps me from getting the side stitch. I don't really "run" though I have a 13 minute mile jogging pace.

What I found when I was jogging outside is I tend to try to run faster than I did on the treadmill because its hard to learn how to pace yourself. Add in the additional difficulty of impact for outdoor running, and I had to really drop my pace to be able to breathe and survive an ourdoor jog. Hope that helps.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    I get stitches in my side when I'm dehydrated the day of and the day before.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    lilo_n_stitch__tube_by_chocolatecherry-d4ns6oy.png
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use to struggle with my breathing when running until I started to listen to music whilst I ran. Then I would sing the songs in my head and run to the beat. This helped me so much.Also drink a cup of water 30 minutes before you run so you are hydrated.:-) Hope this helps x
  • BadassSavageVix
    BadassSavageVix Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been matching my pace to my running and that has made it easier. I play the flute as well so I'm well aware of controlling my breathing and breathing from my diaphragm. Glad to know it's something I can keep working at to better though. It's obviously frustrating that it's been so long since I started running.
  • BadassSavageVix
    Options
    Keep running. It gets better. Also, are you at your goal weight? The reason I ask is that the less body mass you have the easier it is to run.

Nowhere near my goal weight! I get that the lighter I am the easier it will be to run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run too fast? You might try slowing it down a bit. If you have a smartphone, use an app that tells you your pace. Try that out running your regular speed to figure out your current pace. Then try running slower than your current pace to see if that helps.

I can't help much with drinking while running. I drink before my runs but don't run far/long enough to need it during them. Sometimes I try grabbing a cup during a 5k race and then I regret it because I end up splashing it all over myself while I stumble along.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: I only get stitches when I am running too fast for what my body is conditioned for. Perhaps slow it down.

:)
  • BadassSavageVix
    Options
    Thanks, I do use a running app and my avg pace is around 9:20/km or 14:10/mile. If I run any slower I'll stop! Haha. I think after reading all the advice everyone's offered, I'll just stick with it a bit longer and hope that it gets easier.

I've only really been bothered about drinking while I run because the weather's been so hot and I usually go out about 5pm when it's still quite warm and at my slow pace doing intervals I can be out for 50 mins doing 5k.
  • enitsirhck
    enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I suggest slow down your running speed a little to help with breathing, and personally I don't drink at all when I am running - I drink up to an hour before and when I'm done but I always get a stitch if I drink while running. At the very least, wait to drink until about ~1 hour into your workout.

I use a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate between 139 and 149bpm and i have no trouble sustaining a slow run/jog for over 10 miles (though I have to slow/walk up hills). I find it's less torturous to maintain a slower running/jog pace than to constantly run/walk/run/walk - I can lose myself in my thoughts and just keep going. I was "running" for 4 years but very inconsistently until I found the heart rate method and now my running is much more consistent and pleasurable.
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eating or drinking too soon before a run would sometimes give me stitches. An airborne instructor once told me to yell as hard as I could to make them stop. It has always worked for me!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Eating or drinking too soon before a run would sometimes give me stitches. An airborne instructor once told me to yell as hard as I could to make them stop. It has always worked for me!

I am going to try this later lol. I hope it works!
  • BadassSavageVix
    Options

If I start to get stitch I tend to take a deep breath in to my diaphragm and push it back out which works in the same way as yelling.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lol, at stopping if you run slower. I used to run with my dog and I swear he would run to the end of the leash and then stand there while I caught up. Darn smart aleck animals :p

I only rarely get stitches (can only think of 3 times so far.) When it does happen, I usually walk and push in on it with my hand and then try to walk with my arms raised up. I don't know which one of them does it but the pain seems to go away pretty quickly.

As for drinking, I drink right before running (then go to the bathroom, then drink again, then wonder if I should go again...) I don't go out at 5 though. I either go in the early morning or later at night when it is cooler. I am not good with heat (and 70+ is heat IMO.)
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. No matter my fitness level or weight, I have a hard time with breathing. I had asthma as a kid too, but doubt I still have it.

At one point I was running 5k every morning 5+ mornings a week for a couple months. Good days would be about a 10:00 pace, bad days a 12 minute mile pace. But no matter what I have a hard time regulating my breathing.

I would go in the morning before eating or drinking. Had to be on an empty stomach. But I wouldn't drink anything during so I can't help you there.
  • BadassSavageVix
    Options
    Lol, at stopping if you run slower. I used to run with my dog and I swear he would run to the end of the leash and then stand there while I caught up. Darn smart aleck animals :p

I only rarely get stitches (can only think of 3 times so far.) When it does happen, I usually walk and push in on it with my hand and then try to walk with my arms raised up. I don't know which one of them does it but the pain seems to go away pretty quickly.

As for drinking, I drink right before running (then go to the bathroom, then drink again, then wonder if I should go again...) I don't go out at 5 though. I either go in the early morning or later at night when it is cooler. I am not good with heat (and 70+ is heat IMO.)

I need to get a dog hahaha.
    I have the exact same problem. No matter my fitness level or weight, I have a hard time with breathing. I had asthma as a kid too, but doubt I still have it.

At one point I was running 5k every morning 5+ mornings a week for a couple months. Good days would be about a 10:00 pace, bad days a 12 minute mile pace. But no matter what I have a hard time regulating my breathing.

I would go in the morning before eating or drinking. Had to be on an empty stomach. But I wouldn't drink anything during so I can't help you there.

I grew out of asthma but recently went back for a spirometry test because I was really panting bad when I ran, but it came back negative. Since doing a lot of reading up about stitch and about breathing techniques both on here and elsewhere on the net it's been getting a little easier. It'll be a miracle if I get to 12 minutes a mile!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Nowhere near my goal weight! I get that the lighter I am the easier it will be to run.

Keep losing then as you'll find the difference to be remarkable. Keep it up!
  • runJIBrun
    runJIBrun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cant run if i have eaten anything in the last hour or two either.. and if i eat a very heavy meal it takes about 4 hours until I dont get nauseous.. however breathing, in through your nose for 2 count, out your mouth for 2 count will help you get back on track if you're breathing too fast. Ive also read with the stitch in your side to take a deep breath in and let it out as the foot on that side (left side stitch, left foot) hits the pavement. Works for me (sounds really weird)..but i run 4-6 miles a day. It gets easier! It just takes time..