A Few Weight Lifting Questions

Options
Hey Everyone,
I've been wanting to start lifting, but I have a few questions:

1) How long after I start lifting can I actually start seeing the numbers on the scale go down?
Last year, I did Jamie Eason's Live Fit as an introduction to lifting, and I only lost .5lbs in 3 months and my pants had gotten tighter. Granted-- I'm not sure that I was eating at a deficit because I wasn't weighing my food, but I remember being really discouraged for the first month because the scale had gone up by 10lbs with water retention and newbie gains.

2) Are there programs out there where I don't end up spending so much time at the gym?
Jamie Eason's program was great for teaching me how to work different muscle groups, but I spent 1 hour everyday for 6 days a week at the gym. (Another reason why I couldn't tell if I was losing weight, with only 1 rest day.. I never really saw the water retention clear out.) I really want to start resistance training, but I don't want to burn out at the gym.

3) Do I need a buddy if start lifting heavy?

4) Any advice from your own lifting experience that you would have liked to know as a noob?

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    I've been wanting to start lifting, but I have a few questions:

1) How long after I start lifting can I actually start seeing the numbers on the scale go down?
    Last year, I did Jamie Eason's Live Fit as an introduction to lifting, and I only lost .5lbs in 3 months and my pants had gotten tighter. Granted-- I'm not sure that I was eating at a deficit because I wasn't weighing my food, but I remember being really discouraged for the first month because the scale had gone up by 10lbs with water retention and newbie gains.

**Whether or not you can see the scale go down depends on how many calories you are eating; this is 99% of the weight. You MAY retain some water when you start the program but that wont cause long term stalls if you are eating less calories than you are burning.

2) Are there programs out there where I don't end up spending so much time at the gym?
    Jamie Eason's program was great for teaching me how to work different muscle groups, but I spent 1 hour everyday for 6 days a week at the gym. (Another reason why I couldn't tell if I was losing weight, with only 1 rest day.. I never really saw the water retention clear out.) I really want to start resistance training, but I don't want to burn out at the gym.

** There are lots of beginning programs, I do Stronglifts 5x5 and it takes anywhere from 35-50 minutes, I do it 2-3x per week (lately only 2) I feel like that is very doable.

3) Do I need a buddy if start lifting heavy?

**If you have a squat rack and a bench you can look into how to do it safely so you can "bail" out of your weight if its too heavy by letting it fall on the safety pins, so: no. It might be helpful to take videos and get advice on form or critique yourself compared to weight training videos.

4) Any advice from your own lifting experience that you would have liked to know as a noob?

**Do some of your own research, look into the two groups on this site: Eat, Train, Progress, and Stronglifts 5x5 for women for additional fantastic information, encouragement, and motivation.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1. You will see results when you eat at a deficit - give it 4-6 weeks with lifting, counting and measuring.

2. Try New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5. Less time and probably more efficient although I haven't actually seen JE's routine.

3. No buddy necessary - I actually hate working out with people. Only time I would want one is on the bench so I could push myself a little more.

4. Don't be embarrassed, I was terrified when I started because I was lifting such small amounts - I started with the bar, practicing deadlift and form with a broom (at home of course). I wish I would have known how empowering it is to lift weights. There is no better feeling than progressing and watching yourself get stronger.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I've just started really cracking down with weighing and measuring food properly and it made me realize that I probably wasn't eating what I thought I was during my brief lifting period. I will look up the programs that yall have suggested and do some research to get started. I'm excited to actually use my gym membership for a change.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    1. I started lifting, but not counting calories for a few months and lost no pounds but a TON of inches. I'd say this went on for at least three months. Then when I started counting calories and incorporating more cardio (I went from just a 5 minute warm up run to 20 minutes, and some days would do more, depending) I started losing weight pretty fast. I also noticed that on days where I ate like crap it made little difference besides some temporary bloat.

2. I wouldn't know, I don't use a program.. sorry. I go to bodybuilding.com and look up individual exercises that I want to incorporate into my own program.

3. I've NEVER worked out with a buddy, but recently when I've started trying to do a heavier bench press I do have to ask for a spot. And one day a trainer at the gym spotted me and holy crap it makes a difference. He pushed me and kept making me do more than I wanted. So if you can find someone like that it might help. I'm pretty self motivated but that helped me see that I could use a buddy sometimes.

4. Don't be afraid to go heavier. Be careful with form. Get comfortable in the free weight section, and don't rely on machines. Also go for effectiveness in your lifts. Do the things that make you sweat, make you tired and out of breath. Squats should be hard. Bicep curls aren't always the answer, if it seems too easy, do your research and find something better.

Feel free to browse my profile, I have a ton of pictures of my results from lifting, and add me if you want!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Aliciaaah and congrats on your success.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Stronglifts 5x5... I spent all day yesterday reading and looking at the results and I'm pretty excited about it. This weekend I'll spend time watching some videos and practicing form before my start day on Monday. I'm only nervous about there being misinformed people at the gym judging me. The last time that I had a program I was following, a man came up to me and told me that I needed to do something completely different than what I was doing-- he wasn't correcting my form or anything on the exercise that I was doing... He told me that I needed to do something completely different... "to make my chest perkier."
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    1. I started lifting, but not counting calories for a few months and lost no pounds but a TON of inches. I'd say this went on for at least three months. Then when I started counting calories and incorporating more cardio (I went from just a 5 minute warm up run to 20 minutes, and some days would do more, depending) I started losing weight pretty fast. I also noticed that on days where I ate like crap it made little difference besides some temporary bloat.

2. I wouldn't know, I don't use a program.. sorry. I go to bodybuilding.com and look up individual exercises that I want to incorporate into my own program.

3. I've NEVER worked out with a buddy, but recently when I've started trying to do a heavier bench press I do have to ask for a spot. And one day a trainer at the gym spotted me and holy crap it makes a difference. He pushed me and kept making me do more than I wanted. So if you can find someone like that it might help. I'm pretty self motivated but that helped me see that I could use a buddy sometimes.

4. Don't be afraid to go heavier. Be careful with form. Get comfortable in the free weight section, and don't rely on machines. Also go for effectiveness in your lifts. Do the things that make you sweat, make you tired and out of breath. Squats should be hard. Bicep curls aren't always the answer, if it seems too easy, do your research and find something better.

Feel free to browse my profile, I have a ton of pictures of my results from lifting, and add me if you want!

This is great advice!
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When you first start you may retain water. As your muscles will get sore. You may even gain a little weight as your body hold the water. This is a normal body response. Give it a few weeks. I do like the Stronglift 5 X 5 program for women. As it is not a long program can be done in under an hour. Program is also for strength and not bulk.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Aliciaaah and congrats on your success.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Stronglifts 5x5... I spent all day yesterday reading and looking at the results and I'm pretty excited about it. This weekend I'll spend time watching some videos and practicing form before my start day on Monday. I'm only nervous about there being misinformed people at the gym judging me. The last time that I had a program I was following, a man came up to me and told me that I needed to do something completely different than what I was doing-- he wasn't correcting my form or anything on the exercise that I was doing... He told me that I needed to do something completely different... "to make my chest perkier."

Good luck with the program. You'll do fantastic!!
    I've been doing StrongLifts for a few months and really like it. I spend far less time in the gym, but I've gotten great - and visible - results.
    As far as "unsolicited advice" - unless you have specifically asked for help or advice, I would ignore most of what anyone says. I know there are people who are genuinely trying to help, and some even offer good tips, but my experience is they know less about it than I do - and that's not saying much. I've had several helpful individuals try to correct my squat form. I've practiced it, studied Rippetoe videos, and had two different trainers work with me. I've never injured myself and my results are good, so, I'm gonna' guess I'm doing fine.
    Also, if anyone ever told me to do exercises that made my chest "perkier," it would be their last day at that particular gym. Don't hesitate to report inappropriate behavior. If he's doing it to you, he's doing it to others. Very few gyms tolerate that behavior.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    The last time that I had a program I was following, a man came up to me and told me that I needed to do something completely different than what I was doing-- he wasn't correcting my form or anything on the exercise that I was doing... He told me that I needed to do something completely different... "to make my chest perkier."

... You're kidding right?? I have no idea what drives people to say the things they do. I had a man come up to me while doing one-legged squats and he kept insisting I needed to close my eyes during the reps. Um, no. I prefer to stay aware of my balance, thank you.

Some people can't keep their ill-advised comments to themselves. It happens. Don't let it deter you from your routine!