Decreasing 5K time...advice?

SKelley1218
SKelley1218 Posts: 43 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I would like to do my first 5K sometime this Spring but I also want to get a good time. I currently can do a 5K in about 29 minutes and I would like to eventually do about an 8 minute mile. I was just wondering how people achieved lower times and if they could give me some advice on how I could do so. Basically, I wanted to know if I should be increasing the amount of time I am running or just increasing the speed. Thanks!!

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Move your legs faster...
    :flowerforyou:
  • stamy6
    stamy6 Posts: 27
    Two things,
    work on speed training throughout the week

I know it sounds weird... Try the galloway method. The combination of running and walking can actually help you!

Best wishes
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Check out Run Less, Run Faster. Great book!
  • During the summer, I was able to do about an 8 minute mile after a lot of work getting to that point. When I first started really cardio training, I was working out on an elliptical 6 days a week. During vacation times and whatnot, I would switch to running. One of the simplest tips I found through the experience was not to overdo it. There's a fine line between the "good burn" and the "bad burn," but I think most all of us can tell when we've reached that point. Personally, I could do a couple days in a row... but to go three or four? That was causing a lot of cramps and general discomfort which isn't all that motivating.

It seems a bit counterintuitive, but maybe try some breaks between your workout days... push yourself on the days you do cardio, followed by a day to let your muscles recover. It could help to keep it a bit varied, too... 2 days in a row, day off, one day, day off, one day, day off, 2 days, etc... Each day you go, set a goal. Sometimes I'll set a stupidly easy goal. ie: I ran 2 miles today in 26 minutes... tomorrow, that's gotta be 25:30. I found a greater sense of satisfaction in blowing away goals, even though I didn't set the bar all that high sometimes.

Good luck! I'd like to eventually work up the courage to participate in such an event.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Move your legs faster...
    :flowerforyou:

That's too funny. If I kept moving my legs faster I wouldn't make it to the finish lol...I'm trying to get my 1 1/2 mile time down for a test and I decreased the time (by only 15 seconds) just by taking longer strides when I start out. I didn't even realize I was doing this but it seemed to help me a little bit and I'm going to keep trying this and slowly increasing my speed each week and see what happens.The thing that happens is when I get closer to the end I try to increase my speed as much as I can to get to the end and by that time I'm extremely tired.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Try doing suicides. It is an exercise football players use and it also builds endurance.
  • What you really need to do is simply run more.

It sounds simple and initially it is. For recreational 5k runners I would recommend 5 days of running with an average of 25 miles per week (MPW). You can split this up in the following way

Monday 5 Miles Tuesday 3 Miles Wednesday OFF Thursday 6 Miles Friday 4 Miles Saturday 7 Miles Sunday OFF

Eventually when you get a little more accustomed to that you can begin incorporating speed sessions into your workouts. Running intervals and repeats and the like.

Of course this comes after building a base which is key. Ideally you want to run these miles at around 8:30-9:00 minute pace, and perhaps your Saturday run will be run closer to 9:15. You also may want to experiment with the "Tempo" run which is run slightly slower then your race pace. They are great for your anaerobic system and are a good barometer of fitness. A good tempo run for you maybe 3 miles at 8:10-8:15 pace (BUT ONLY ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR BASE DOWN)

I do not know how much background you have in running but the training cycles are fairly standard

BASE
    WORKOUT
    SHARPEN

Base building can take any amount of time and can vary greatly based on a runners goals. Marathoners build their bases to 100mpw while training for a 5k entails 40-50 (for the competitive runner). After that you can begin adding in hill workouts, intervals and tempo runs to your training.
  • SKelley1218
    SKelley1218 Posts: 43 Member
    thanks everyone!! I will definately try some of this advice :smile:
This discussion has been closed.