How did I get fat?

Options
How did I get fat?
My exercise and nutritional choices.

I developed bad eating and exercise habits without being fully aware of the long term consequences. My body adjusted to the new 'set point' and happily packed on the pounds. My brain adjusted and locked into choices.

Today I completed a work out that would have been impossible for me to do 2 months ago.
Reflecting back on this a bit the body is all about homeostasis and so is the mind.

The body strives to keep its system regulated/adjusted to external stimuli and we develop behaviors beliefs and attitudes that once set are hard to adjust. What does this mean for weight loss and long term health?

Dieting can be confusing but when you get right down to it just about any diet will work (initially) as long as you stick with it. Furthermore, this can be a trap as we try to establish habits that are really not sustainable. I'm not saying that a low carb strategy won't yield dramatic results to the contrary I think that it works and it can really kick off your weight loss; It did the trick for me along with other nutritional choices.

However, I think there are some more general points to keep in mind:

1. What is your homeostasis (set point)?
How long did it take you to get to the state your are in? Change is hard..be patient with YOURSELF! It takes time to become the change you want to see in yourself.

2. Turn decisions into behaviors:
Who hasn't decided at one point to start working out, eating healthy, stop smoking, stop drinking, stop cussing, etc? More than likely failure is a result of trying to do it all at once -- it's just too hard and it's not working.. perhaps I will just "revert" back to my previous habits.

So, after trying to loose/keep weight off in the past and failing in my various attempts my suggestion would be NOT try and workout and change your diet at the same time. I found that there was a synergy to setting small goals in one area.

Put another way, I focused in on my nutrition and made incremental obtainable goals (skipping the soda, etc). As I became more cognizant of my nutrition I wanted to start working out. After upping my workout I became even more focused in on my nutrition.

3. Failure is a part of success:
Failure sucks -- we let ourselves down mentally by missing a workout, overeating, or discover that we've some how packed on another pound. Once this happens it's very easy to throw our hands up in despair and give up.

Ah yes, the evil plateau....
Don't despair --your body and mind are revolting against the changes that you've made. In some cases that extra pound is really just water weight or an increase in muscle. Don't focus in on this...Suck it up.
Understand that the failure is the incremental part of success. I will workout to failure/exhaustion. I will strive to push myself further and harder.

4. Variety, variety, variety - Don't do the hamster dance/walk/elliptical twirl in the gym.

Focus.
Push yourself.
Try different equipment, start some HIIT training, do cardio on multiple machines.
After doing your cardio finish up with some anaerobic exercise.

This also applies to your diet. Really, it's okay to indulge a bit just do it in moderation and not to excess.
A starvation diet doesn't work. Eat right and enjoy a treat every now and then. You earned it..

This was a long post meant more for myself... as a reminder. I've lost some weight and kept it off for a year. I'm not going back.
Perhaps it will motivate you as well...

Good luck!

Replies

• healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Very good post! Thank you!
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
  • girlface68
    girlface68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well written, I have just started my new lifestyle journey and your words were inspiring. Thank you
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Great post thanks
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Great post thanks
  • Alidomoreme
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome post! You really put out some pointers...I especially give up after not seeing the results I want to see. I forget it took me this long to put on the weight and change will not happen over nite. You help motivate me for the better, 2011 is a time for me to shine. That is live a healthy and happy life!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well written, I have just started my new lifestyle journey and your words were inspiring. Thank you

Thanks -- It sounded like a rant when I wrote it and I almost didn't post it..
    Good luck to you and everyone else!!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    Interesting points. I have noticed that as my new diet becomes more ingrained over time, I have to face emotions I normally diverted my attention from by replacing with other feelings brought about by eating. It is difficult to face these emotions because I am a busy girl anyways, and I am going through some family stuff. Thank God for exercise and the endorphins it brings, but also MFP because processing these emotions is easier with the natural pain killers and the support of the people on this site. I think building new habits in regard to disorganized eating and lack of exercise which leads to weight gain and chronic diseases has a huge emotional component that needs to be addressed in the majority of cases. Anyone agree?
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    *natural painkillers=endorphins from exercise, not sure if that was clear
  • stargazer24
    Options
    Loved your views! Keep up the good work girlie. Stay focused and JUST DO IT!
  • _Bro
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome post! You really put out some pointers...I especially give up after not seeing the results I want to see. I forget it took me this long to put on the weight and change will not happen over nite. You help motivate me for the better, 2011 is a time for me to shine. That is live a healthy and happy life!

Thanks! Your kind words are appreciated -- don't give up!
  • stargazer24
    Options
    I do agree. Those feeling definitely start revealing themselves!
  • _Bro
    Options
    Interesting points. I have noticed that as my new diet becomes more ingrained over time, I have to face emotions I normally diverted my attention from by replacing with other feelings brought about by eating. It is difficult to face these emotions because I am a busy girl anyways, and I am going through some family stuff. Thank God for exercise and the endorphins it brings, but also MFP because processing these emotions is easier with the natural pain killers and the support of the people on this site. I think building new habits in regard to disorganized eating and lack of exercise which leads to weight gain and chronic diseases has a huge emotional component that needs to be addressed in the majority of cases. Anyone agree?

Good point --exercise can definately be an emotional outlet and it is very draining.. I am sleeping better and I feel more focused mentally. This focus has carried over into other ascepts of my life. Food is still an outlet mentally and socially but I am more in control and I am going to strive to make the most of the most precious gift I have -- my health...