Can't seem to lose weight

Options
I'm 5"8 and weigh 140llbs with a health BMI. I don't necessarily care about the number I weigh but I have some belly fat that I cannot seem to get rid of. I've always been active. This summer, I've been going to the gym at least four times a week, watching my calories to make sure I burn more than I eat and usually consuming 1,500 calories a day (more on the weekends). I do a lot of running and cardio but I've also been doing weights. I do yoga a lot but I've started doing it every day. I eat only fresh foods, salads, eggs, chicken, fish, oatmeal for breakfast, protein shakes with fruit and spinach. I go to goodlife and like bodyattack and bodypump.

Why the heck can I not lose belly fat?

Replies

• fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Where you store fat depends a lot on your genetics. Some people carry on their legs and hips and some on the abdomen. I too am a belly carrier and getting down to that last little bit and then it not budging is frustrating. I feel your pain. How long have you been going with your current routine?

I suggest you look to your diet and identify sugar sources. It is there hiding. Look for sugar or sucrose or fructose or anything-syrup, find it and reduce it because 9/10 there is the culprit. Calories from sugar are not equal to calories from other foodsources, theyre so much more potent and high levels of sugar (often sneaky like in fruit or alcohol ) are more than capable of undoing all your hard work. Look at the labels on your shakes, on your cereal box, find the sugar.

So yea look for the sugar and cut it down (gradually reduce it and over time cut it back...dont do it all at once) be consistent, so if that means a bit stricter at weekends and less strict during the week, whatever way it works just be consistent. Keep at it because the last bit's tough but you can get there just keep at it and good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A couple things come to mind for me. First off what are your macros? It could be that your carbs are too high which will contribute to that belly fat. Your carb number should be between 30-40%. If it is higher than that you need to lower your carbs and up your protein. Protein should be around 40-50% to get rid of body fat. Second as fortysixpound mentioned is sugar which in your case looks like the only real main source of sugar for you is fruit. How much fruit are you eating? If you are eating more than 2 servings a day you could be putting too much sugar in your system which could have an impact on that belly fat. Lastly it could just be that you have hit a plateau and are at a maintenance point. If the problems above aren't a problem then it is more than likely the case that you have hit a plateau. In that case you would need to drop your calories a bit (since you are at 1500 drop to 1400) and see if that gets you past your plateau. Only cut calories though if the first two problems aren't an issue. You might also need to switch up your workout routine as fortysixpound suggested. I hope this helps!