Smoking and running.

Options
Hello guys, obviously i know what impact smoking has on your breathing and endurance. I understand that yes i need to quit, but for some people like me, its not something i feel i can just give up. I do look at it as, Ive started eating extremely healthy, some nice food but also some boring food, so smoking is still my treat without freezing out all my enjoyments at once.

My question is... When i run sometimes half way through, my throat starts to hurt, it is the same feeling you have when your about to catch a cold and your voice seems like its about to go. It only starts from running and is a inconsistent occurrence. I can go a whole week no problems, then suddenly it comes back.

Do you think this is due too the tar and other crap i fill my throat with?

Replies

• daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yup.

For a long time I tried to run while keeping with the habit and although I could make it through easy short distance runs (>3miles) I would be wheezy for hours afterwards. I couldn't laugh without going into a coughing fit. I thought it was because I was never good at running and just out of shape.Here comes the TMI part of smoking and running. I also used to get really phlegmy while running. It was never a pretty sight seeing me on the side of the road or in the gym bathroom hocking up a lung and spitting everywhere. My nose ran like crazy too (I used to use leaves to blow my nose on outside runs).

I've been smoke free since the end of March and I CANNOT tell you how much more enjoyable running is now. No more wheezy, no more coughing. I can run for longer and don't have to take as many walking breaks.

I know it's tough and I know it's not fun to give up a treat but if you want to sustain it, I would say kick the habit. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I don't miss those post-run cigs, it's just not worth the effects. (Not to mention all the long term terrors!)

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 weeks ago, after 30 years. You've got this!
  • belladelirante
    belladelirante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You definitely should quit, not saying you shouldn't. HOWEVER.
    I do understand what you mean about not being ready to cut it out just yet, since you've made so many other sacrifices. I'm right there with you. I will quit, but for right now I'm just not ready. So I switched to American Spirits (which are tobacco-only, no additives) and I don't have as many problems with coughing and getting winded. I still do, but not as bad as when I smoked other cigarettes. Plus, they're way more expensive, so that has helped me cut down on the amount I smoke tremendously. Once I got used to them, I prefer them now and when I do bum another brand cigarette I can REALLY taste all the extra crap in them. Might be something to try until you're ready to stop.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I doubt that your throat problem is due to your smoking, especially since it is intermittent.
    Your smoking isn't intermittent, is it? I assume not.
    I ran for 25 years and smoked, between one and two-plus packs a day. Never had any funky throat problem.
    I am not going to lecture you. But, running is SO much easier now that I have quit. Of course, I was lucky to quit. Like most smokers, I had been trying to quit for years -- probably 20 years -- before I was finally able to do it.
    Good luck. I suspect your throat problem has some other cause -- an allergy, some kind of an irritant you are exposed to on certain days, your unique anatomy, etc.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    It seems the running is causing your issue. Probably best to quit running cold turkey.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of smoking as a treat. I once viewed it similarly and defended my right to smoke fiercely. Turns out I was treating myself to life attached to a 50 ft tube hooked up to an oxygen concentrator. I'm here losing weight so I can get on the lung transplant list.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That is the least of your concerns. Your risk of death from a stroke or heart attack goes very high for a good while after smoking a cigarette. Adding physical activity to the mix (further increasing your pulse and blood pressure) is not a good idea. I know you don't want to hear it. But this is coming from a former smoking fatty, now an ultramarathoner. Quit.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    He said he knows it's not good for him. sheesh. This is why I'd never post a smoking question here. Anyway, the throat thing could or could not be from smoking. I haven't noticed anything like that but I'm a light smoker.
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vaping? Only way to know for sure would be to stop smoking and see if it changes. One option would be to get a vaporizer and try that for a little while if you still like "smoking" and want to cut out the tar, arsenic, formaldehyde and other chemicals. With a vaporizer you would be inhaling propylene glycol (propellent in asthma medication among other uses), nicotine and flavours, so fewer chemicals and no tar... May be an option?

Good luck,
    Emma
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vaping? Only way to know for sure would be to stop smoking and see if it changes. One option would be to get a vaporizer and try that for a little while if you still like "smoking" and want to cut out the tar, arsenic, formaldehyde and other chemicals. With a vaporizer you would be inhaling propylene glycol (propellent in asthma medication among other uses), nicotine and flavours, so fewer chemicals and no tar... May be an option?

Good luck,
    Emma

Look out with that. The vaping fluid still contains carcinogens, is less regulated than tobacco, and nicoteen consumption can vary greatly between devices.

That and instead of going out for a smoke, you'll be vaping. That's two paddles away from being a douche canoe.

Edited to add credible source: http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm173146.htm
  • MrNundy
    MrNundy Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the views people.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, obviously i know what impact smoking has on your breathing and endurance. I understand that yes i need to quit, but for some people like me, its not something i feel i can just give up. I do look at it as, Ive started eating extremely healthy, some nice food but also some boring food, so smoking is still my treat without freezing out all my enjoyments at once.

My question is... When i run sometimes half way through, my throat starts to hurt, it is the same feeling you have when your about to catch a cold and your voice seems like its about to go. It only starts from running and is a inconsistent occurrence. I can go a whole week no problems, then suddenly it comes back.

Do you think this is due too the tar and other crap i fill my throat with?

yes,almost certainly.
    fellow smoker losing weight and exercising heavily on treadmill.
    i now take a longer warm up to get my coughing fit out of the way. just a shock to to the lungs.
    if i do continue running long term,its probably the incentive i might need to think about quitting.weight and diet are my top priorities.
    rome wasnt built in a day. keep up the good fight!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm a smoker of 30 years. I am also a runner. I don't experience this. It could be what you're getting but, this doesn't happen to me.