Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Nothing at the moment
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    honestly, tent stakes, a screwdriver, refridgerator magnets, and random other items... its on top of the fridge.

LOL LOVE IT! :laugh:

Pork Chops with Salsa Verde and Cumin
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Been pigs cheeks with carrots, onions and seasoning. Very cheap and very nice - I'm a happy omnivore since I use as much of the animal as possible. (It's also very cheap and freezes well - I don't need to any more but can never quite break the habit .)
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    honestly, tent stakes, a screwdriver, refridgerator magnets, and random other items... its on top of the fridge.

Pretty much the same here. My crockpot meals always turn out bland. I got tired of ruining good ingredients. I do use it to keep soups and stews heated though.

I have the same problem. I think I'm just gone too long and stuff gets overcooked. I pretty much use mine for roast, soups, and salsa.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow, I'm making pulled pork.

Pork rub: Chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes and a bit of cumin

Sauce:
    1oz Jack Daniel's Honey Whiskey
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 c. ketchup
    1/4 c lemon juice
    1/4c brown sugar
    2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp mustard
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

an onion, sliced and 3 smashed cloves of garlic.

Rub the spice blend all over your pork, then put the pork on the bed of onions, top it with the cloves of garlic. Mix the sauce ingredients together, and let them simmer for 20ish minutes, then pour over the pork and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred the pork, then add the shredded pork to the sauce/onion/garlic and serve.

The pork is a lot better if you sear it before putting it in the crock pot.
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Garden salsa. I have an overabundance of tomatoes from the garden. So making salsa.

3 lbs tomatoes, chopped
    1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
    2 1/2 C. chopped onion
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 bell peppers, seeded & chopped
    1 - 3 jalapenos, seeded & chopped, (depends on heat that you want)
    3 banana peppers, chopped
    1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1-2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cilantro

Combine all and mix well. Cook for 2 - 4 hours. If you don't want it too chunky, pulse mixture in a food processor or blender until desired consistency. Makes about 5 1/2 cups. Can be frozen up to a year in freezer containers.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Pinto Beans with a Ham Bone for tonight! Yumm one of my favs!!

Fill Crock pot half to under half with beans, throw in ham bone leftover from full ham either from a holiday or from a ham dinner/lunches/meals, fill to top of crockpot with water, salt to taste or salt sub if desired after 8 hours or after beans are soft. Very simple-- my fav
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Finishing up a batch of vanilla yogurt just has to cool a bit longer. During summer I'm finding it hard to fit in the time for it since we're so often using it for meals to keep the house cool!
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nothing at the moment, but one of the favorites in my house is chicken cooked down, and then shredded with bell peppers, onion, lime, and cilantro for tacos. I also make "refried" beans, because I dont like the canned stuff.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Finishing up a batch of vanilla yogurt just has to cool a bit longer. During summer I'm finding it hard to fit in the time for it since we're so often using it for meals to keep the house cool!

How do you do your yogurt in the slow cooker? Definitely want to start making my own yogurt, but I also don't want to buy any new kitchen equipment! :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Dust. it's grilling season:)
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    A packet of green split peas, a carrot, some water and a big chunk of cured pig.

I :love: my Nana's pea and ham soup - so simple, SO delicious!
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Coming back here when I get my notepad and pen!:smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I will be making shredded beef tacos.

24 oz beef top round roast
    1/4 c water
    1 Tbl. Chili powder
    2.Tbl. Onion powder
    1 Tbl. Ground Cumin
    1 Tbl. Garlic powder
    1 Tbl. Paprika
    1 tsp Oregano
    1 Tbl cornstarch

Place meat in crock pot, pour in water, and sprinkle spices over it. Cook on low 6-8 hours until it falls apart. Shred with 2 forks. Sprinkle cornstarch over and mix until juices thicken. Serve with tortillas and taco toppings.

Without tortillas and toppings: 6 servings: 251 calories, 3 g. carbs, 6 g. fat, 45 g. protein, 70 g sodium, 1 g. fiber

Note: this spice mix is a low sodium substitute for the pre-packaged taco seasoning. You just add whatever you prefer to thicken the juices, I prefer cornstarch but you can use 2 Tbl. flour or 1 Tbl.arrowroot.
  • tx_mom72
    tx_mom72 Posts: 96
    Options
    Bump for recipes! :smile:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    really good recipes. I have to steal some of these.
  • paulathoren1
    paulathoren1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nothing in there tonight. Two days ago it was beef stroganoff. I used to follow the recipe and cut the beef into small pieces and brown it before putting it in, but then I got lazy one day and just threw in a chunk of beef (still frozen.) It was awesome. After several hours in the crock pot, I poked it with a fork and it magically shredded itself into a perfect, tender consistency. Lesson learned.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    When we get the 1st wk of Fall temps,we will have beef veggie soup,then bean soup & that will take us to chili season. Like others mentioned,I only use slo cooker for soup,stews etc. neither of use wanted left overs as meat is cooked thru & thru.
    Might try some new recipes to see if anything has changed.