So confused!!!

Options
I just alternated walking 3.5 and jogging 5.0 for 30 minutes on my treadmill. My heart rate monitor says I burned 450 calories, my treadmill says 300 calories!? Which one is right??

Replies

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    People generally always say to go by your HRM above all other sources, so that would be my suggestion.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    does your HRM have a chest strap? if so, follow that like the bible & don't worry about the machine. The machine doesn't account for your height/weight/sex like your HRM does.
  • gettinfit80
    Options
    I would assume it would be the heart rate monitor. I believe the calories counted on the treadmill itself is figured by the amount of times that the belt does a full rotation.
  • losingheyhey
    Options
    I have this same problem.. I totally dont really take the calorie burned to heart.. but I just know I must be burning something cause I am losing weight LMAO
  • Dezimarae
    Options
    Go with the heart rate monitor. That is adjusted for you height and weight and possibly your age and gender depending on your HRM. The treadmill is calibrated for an average height person, no matter what weight you type in. They are always off.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would go with the lower # or split the difference. That way you have some wiggle room.

For some perspective, I ran some speed intervals on the TM tonight with an average pace of 6mph for 40 mins tonight + I walked for 5 mins before @ about 3.5 and after @ 4.0 and the TM only read a 535 burn for me.
  • Tracie65
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful!!