Anyone with yoga knowledge

Options
I have a question for you!

I was probably the most stressed out/agitated/on edge from the period of around the end of November to the middle of December. I have had some pretty stressful times at school and work in the past, but that month or so pushed me further than I've been pushed before.

I'm really trying to approach this semester with a lot more calmness, and I know that stress can cause a slew of other health-related problems. I'm also interested in yoga approaches that will balance hormones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I don't know about balancing hormones, but sitting with bottoms of feet together and palms of hands relaxed on knees while deep breathing really helps me.

I do this for just about 5 minutes everyday.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I also don't know anything about balancing hormones and yoga. I just know that yoga helps me feel more centred in my daily life. Hopefully you have itunes, sign up for free Tara Stiles podcasts. She is amazing, though I wouldn't reccomend her "weight loss" yogas or any of the "challenges" without having a class first.

Look at her podcasts on relaxation, especially her pre-bedtime routines and her wake-up routines. Take the routines slower than she presents them.
  • summerstarr
    summerstarr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I joined a yoga studio at the beginning of this year, and it has helped "center" me. I do a variety of yoga, sometimes the yin yoga, sometimes vinyasa flow, sometimes ashtanga (no promises on spelling). I love them and I do notice that it has helped me focus better on tasks and keep my temper in check. I would certainly give it a shot, see if your school offers classes. Also, you can download some free guided meditation tracks on youtube, that has helped me too. Most that i have found are about 6 minutes long.

Hope this helps!

Namaste. ;-)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Not yoga related, but just a tip: if you're having trouble with stress in the winter, try a vitamin D supplement. I've found that if I take 2000-4000IU every day (one or two tiny gelcaps' worth) my mood is drastically improved. Vitamin D is wonderful to help boost your mood, which of course would then have a positive affect on your stress level. But since we're all stuck inside in the winter, we don't get nearly enough vitamin D from the sun as we should. If you can't get out in the sunshine, or if there's no sunshine to be had (today was the first day I saw the sun in almost 3 weeks), try a supplement. It can't hurt.

Yoga is great too, and I do think you should look into it. It's good all the time. Even something as simple as the basic poses on the Wii Fit are wonderful for relieving stress and improving fitness. But if you can get your body's basic needs in check, stress is much easier to manage.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do yoga a few times a week. Vinyasa yoga is what I prefer. Focusing on breath and movement as I flow keeps me feeling centered. As a bonus it tones your body, too.

I have yoga dvds by Baron Baptiste and Seane Corne. Both are phenomenal instructors!