IIFYM

Options
I've decided to try out the fitting your macros style of eating. I'm trying to figure out what works best and the easiest way to get as close to my macros as possible every day. The best way I could come up with so far is entering all or at least most of my food before I even eat it. Like daily meal planning, I suppose. I try to meal prep most meals anyway so I thought I might as well add the food in before I eat.

So I was wondering from anyone who tracks macros... Do you guys have any tips/tricks for making sure you hit your macros every day. Maybe even some go to foods with good macros!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Best tip I could possible give you is that you don't need to hit all your macros every day. People have ruined IIFYM by making others think that's even remotely necessary to hit all 3 macros on the nose. Before the acronym IIFYM was coined on bobdybuilding.com that method of eating was known as flexible dieting. People were too dumb to figure out macros on their own so the IIFYM calculator was born. That was when the flexibility came out of flexible dieting. The truth is, you don't need a carbohydrate target. The way IIFYM was originally (and meant to be) practiced worked like this. You established a calorie goal, you established a protein minimum, you established a fat minimum. To have a successful day you simply had to stick to your calorie level while eating at or above your protein level and at or above your fat level. Carbs were flexible depending on if you wanted more fat or protein that particular day. It's a little harder to explain then using the calculator is but its SOOOO much more flexible.

I have a full playlist of YouTube videos I made explaining how to set your own macros without the calculator and track them the way I explained. It completely removes the need to meal prep or spend time trying to figure out what to eat. The idea of the IIFYM in the first place was to make things easier and now a days people have overcomplicated so much its actually become quite restrictive.

Playlist: http://goo.gl/zqIv6H
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Best tip I could possible give you is that you don't need to hit all your macros every day. People have ruined IIFYM by making others think that's even remotely necessary to hit all 3 macros on the nose. Before the acronym IIFYM was coined on bobdybuilding.com that method of eating was known as flexible dieting. People were too dumb to figure out macros on their own so the IIFYM calculator was born. That was when the flexibility came out of flexible dieting. The truth is, you don't need a carbohydrate target. The way IIFYM was originally (and meant to be) practiced worked like this. You established a calorie goal, you established a protein minimum, you established a fat minimum. To have a successful day you simply had to stick to your calorie level while eating at or above your protein level and at or above your fat level. Carbs were flexible depending on if you wanted more fat or protein that particular day. It's a little harder to explain then using the calculator is but its SOOOO much more flexible.

I have a full playlist of YouTube videos I made explaining how to set your own macros without the calculator and track them the way I explained. It completely removes the need to meal prep or spend time trying to figure out what to eat. The idea of the IIFYM in the first place was to make things easier and now a days people have overcomplicated so much its actually become quite restrictive.

Just so I'm getting this correct, carbs are irrelevant??
  • vismal
    Options
    No, they are relevant in terms of meeting your calorie goals. For example, I maintain weight at around 3000 calories. My protein minimum is 180 grams. My fat minimum is 80 grams. If you add up the calories those minimums make I wind up with 1440 calories. So if my goal is 3000 calories I have 1560 left. I can eat protein, carbs or fat to fill those remaining calories. If I choose to use my entire surplus of calories for carbs I can (that would be 390 carbs). But if I want 220 grams of protein and 85 fat on a particular day, I can. I simply eat less carbs to compensate. Carbs aren't irrelevant using this method, they are simply flexible. The only things I must do every day are meet the protein and fat minimums and stay within my calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, they are relevant in terms of meeting your calorie goals. For example, I maintain weight at around 3000 calories. My protein minimum is 180 grams. My fat minimum is 80 grams. If you add up the calories those minimums make I wind up with 1440 calories. So if my goal is 3000 calories I have 1560 left. I can eat protein, carbs or fat to fill those remaining calories. If I choose to use my entire surplus of calories for carbs I can (that would be 390 carbs). But if I want 220 grams of protein and 85 fat on a particular day, I can. I simply eat less carbs to compensate. Carbs aren't irrelevant using this method, they are simply flexible. The only things I must do every day are meet the protein and fat minimums and stay within my calorie goal.

I would further add to both excellent posts that one's macro goals are also going to be dependent on certain performance and fitness goals. For example, a marathon runner is going to have an optimal macro ratio that is much different from a body builder. Contrary to popular belief due to the basterdization of the entire concept, there is no singular, optimal macro ratio...thus the YOUR in IIFYM.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Comment so I can watch youtube vids later. I follow the IIFYM, always hit my Fat & Carbs, but I haven't been hitting my protein bc I haven't been making smoothies lately, so no use of my protein powder.
  • vismal
    Options

I would further add to both excellent posts that one's macro goals are also going to be dependent on certain performance and fitness goals. For example, a marathon runner is going to have an optimal macro ratio that is much different from a body builder. Contrary to popular belief due to the basterdization of the entire concept, there is no singular, optimal macro ratio...thus the YOUR in IIFYM.
    Yes! Somewhere along the line, IIFYM came to mean the way to eat if your goal is fat loss or lean muscle gain, IE bodybuilding. It can in fact be used with any goal whatsoever in mind.
  • theEffingPanda
    Options

I'll definitely check out the playlist. And I do understand not needing to perfectly match them every day. I just want to be close. The prepping and planning is mostly because that's just the type of person I am, honestly. I feel more at ease when everything is planned out. I'd kill to live my life more spontaneously!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Good information. I follow IIFYM.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

SPOT ON! A great addition to this thread.
  • StephanieKTerranova
    StephanieKTerranova Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great posts above but I just want to add that if you want to get closer to hitting your macros log everything you want to eat in the morning and make whatever u want/need fit. I stay within a 3 g +/- every day and I pre log all my meals in the morning right when I wake up. I have a little wiggle room to adjust as the day goes on but it keeps me from going way over and I think it keeps me less obsessed with food and macros when all I have to do is eat what has already been planned. Just my 2 cents though :)

Feel free to add me if you want too! I love fellow iifym friends!
  • theEffingPanda
    Options
    Great posts above but I just want to add that if you want to get closer to hitting your macros log everything you want to eat in the morning and make whatever u want/need fit. I stay within a 3 g +/- every day and I pre log all my meals in the morning right when I wake up. I have a little wiggle room to adjust as the day goes on but it keeps me from going way over and I think it keeps me less obsessed with food and macros when all I have to do is eat what has already been planned. Just my 2 cents though :)

Feel free to add me if you want too! I love fellow iifym friends!

Yes. This is what I've been doing. Sometimes I don't log snacks and kind of use them to meet my macros where needed.