Pilates

Options
Anyone here do Pilates? If so, how often/how long? If anyone has pictures of their results with Pilates, even if it is along with other exercises, please do post!

Replies

• rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Is Pilates really that unpopular here?
  • Ahdillard
    Ahdillard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do a form of pilates with every workout actually and have for years. It is awesome for longating the muscles. I prefer pilates for my ab workouts.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have been doing pilates once a week for an hour to aid in hip and shoulder flexibility. It has helped and today we did some floor work that let's me work at home without a Reformer. It is way harder than it looks.
  • cnichole26
    Options
    I do PiYo which is a combo of Pilates and Yoga. Wonderful workout!
  • BarWench11
    Options
    I take one hour pilates classes anywhere between once and three times a week, depending on my schedule.

I have noticed a steady improvement in my flexibility, balance and endurance so I am quite happy with what I see.

Imo, it's a conditioning exercise - in terms of weight loss it's negligible.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take 3 to 4 classes of Pilates a week. Two are lower energy, and have been wonderful for stretching and flexibility. Two are very high energy and I burn a lot of calories according to my chest-worn HRM, about 400 kcal per class.

Pilates has really, really helped with my lower back problems, which in turn has enabled me to exercise more. I've also lost my fat tummy!

I can't speak more highly of Pilates.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I took pilates mat classes twice a week back in 2003-2005. I noticed improved core strength and leg definition. Then I moved to Texas and quit pilates for various reasons. Anyway, I started taking private classes using the pilates equipment in April (mostly the reformer). I have been going once a week except for a few weeks when I was out of town. I've had a total of 22 classes and have noticed big improvements-- much less knee pain and I managed to do chaturanga in my yoga class for the first time ever a few weeks ago! (I've been taking iyengar yoga classes for six years, so this is amazing to me.) And yesterday I felt much stronger in pincha mayurasana (forearm stand) and Adho Mukha Vrkasana (handstand) than I did before.

I am very inflexible, so I think the reformer helps me access those small inner muscles that I can't get with more traditional weight training.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a mat class since the end of last year.

I've seen great improvements to my back / shoulders - which caused a lot of problems before. My flexibility is much better. And I've just discovered how good it is for helping with Doms from lifting.

I've got some great benefits from doing it - but they aren't benefits that show on the scale / in photos.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing POP Pilates (Blogilates). Free videos on Youtube. Just go to Blogilates channel on there and you will find all sorts of workouts. They range from stretching, cardio, HIIT, strength, abs, you name Cassie covers it. Thats my go-to for pilates workouts.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did Pilates for awhile, but have pretty much entirely moved to vinyasa yoga. I find the yoga to be more of a whole-body workout, Pilates is very core focused which got a little old.

It's an okay workout, but I got bored.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I did Pilates for awhile, but have pretty much entirely moved to vinyasa yoga. I find the yoga to be more of a whole-body workout, Pilates is very core focused which got a little old.

It's an okay workout, but I got bored.

This - eta, I just did mat pilates. I've always wanted to try the reformer but it's so darn $$$
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week (class with the equipment), am probably going to add a second session (regular mat class), but I only just started back with it 3 weeks ago (used to do it years ago) so no photos yet.

I really like it in part because I'm traditionally a core exercise hater and it's a way of working on the core that I actually enjoy. Plus I feel great afterwards.