One month on mfp and at the gym, your thoughts

Options
Hi all, I'm Robert. About one month ago now I joined my local gym with my brother actually. I also did lots of reading online about loosing weight so I got mfp to count my calories and exercise. I started this with a bmi of 32 being obese weight 94kg or 207lb. My BMR is 2100 and my TDEE is 3254. I have been eating 1600 calories a day solid for the month but have had one cheat day a week where I only had one lets say unhealthy meal in that day. Food wise I never feel hungry having that many calories except after my workout in the evening. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week In the night about 8pm and my workout duration excluding breaks is between 30min and 45min. But in this month I only have been doing cardio. Each day at the gym I would do the stationary bike, treadmill, arc trainer and sometimes rower. My progress in this time is now I weigh 89kg, I think it's water weight. Now everyone what's your opinion I'm happy to change things up, I'm considering eating even healthier as my diet has a little too many carbs at the moment. Do you think I should by a heart rate monitor to measure my calories lost. Thanks again for anyone's advise in helping me.

Replies

• Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    your going to the gym a lot (5 days/wk). make sure you are either/and getting enough rest, and on your off days do something active, not necessarily performing a work out, but maybe just throwing the ball through the hoop, or an easy bike ride.. etc. keep off days active, but very light.
  • tolorii
    tolorii Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of carbs as the enemy, they're good for energy especially if you're doing cardio, and some people do pretty well on a high carb diet :) Would definitely recommend a heart rate monitor, I love mine cause it gives me a more accurate idea of how much I need to eat back after exercise
  • rob95syd
    Options
    On my two rest days, I like to do walking, it annoys me that my gym closes at 2pm on weekends which is when I don't go. It looks like I'll get a heart rate monitor Tolorri which brand or type do you recommend.
  • tolorii
    tolorii Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard Polars are a good place to start, I got a Polar FT7 about a month ago and for a first HRM I really like it :) I got it secondhand and in virtually new condition (there weren't many training files on it so I think it was only used a few times) so I didn't have to spend much at all on it. You put all your personal details (age, weight, height, sex) into it to get the most accurate results, and it's really easy to use. Being able to see a week's worth of training results laid out really clearly is really motivating for me too :)
  • rob95syd
    Options
    Does anyone have any advise about my calorie deficit or if I should do weights or just cardio.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Robert. About one month ago now I joined my local gym with my brother actually. I also did lots of reading online about loosing weight so I got mfp to count my calories and exercise. I started this with a bmi of 32 being obese weight 94kg or 207lb. My BMR is 2100 and my TDEE is 3254. I have been eating 1600 calories a day solid for the month but have had one cheat day a week where I only had one lets say unhealthy meal in that day. Food wise I never feel hungry having that many calories except after my workout in the evening. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week In the night about 8pm and my workout duration excluding breaks is between 30min and 45min. But in this month I only have been doing cardio. Each day at the gym I would do the stationary bike, treadmill, arc trainer and sometimes rower. My progress in this time is now I weigh 89kg, I think it's water weight. Now everyone what's your opinion I'm happy to change things up, I'm considering eating even healthier as my diet has a little too many carbs at the moment. Do you think I should by a heart rate monitor to measure my calories lost. Thanks again for anyone's advise in helping me.

although im 52 and started at 106 kg, our recent weight loss journeys are very similar.
    it seems like your doing an excellent job of it at a young age.
    cant view you diary as its not public. so will send a friend request.
    if its working for you, as it is for me. just keep at it.
    good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think you should be eating more food. At almost 42 I can lose on 2k a day...and I am a woman.

I wouldn't lower carbs they are needed for energy. Eating "healthy" is very subjective...

As for the HRM it is just an estimate for Calories.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I started walking an hour every day, I didn't lose anything much for about a month, and our BMIs were the same. You have lost about 10 lbs in a month. I would say that's pretty fast, but as you say could have been a bit of "water weight" in there. Honestly, if it were me, I'd continue doing the same thing for another month and then reassess.