Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

TDEE on IIFYM.com - Is it totally off?

I've been restricting for far too long and would like to stop and eat a normal amount of food, so like everyone on MFP recommends, I went to check out IIFYM.com to use their TDEE calculator. I am 5'3" and fluctuate between 108-112. I don't eat enough - don't lecture me, I KNOW I NEED TO EAT more, hence my confusion over this TDEE thing. My maintenance is over 1700 a day. Even though I work out 6 days per week this seems awfully high for someone my size. My frame is medium to small. I don't think I've ever eaten that much daily unless during some massive holiday reverie for a month or so. My "aggressive" fat loss calorie goal was around 1300, which seems way more like what my TDEE should be. Am I getting this all wrong, or what? I want to get back to eating normally, but it seems way complicated.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Am I right in thinking that you're at a healthy weight? So whatever you've done in the past has been ok?

I'd up your calorie goal by 100 per day, try that for a week or two, and see how you feel on it.
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Am I right in thinking that you're at a healthy weight? So whatever you've done in the past has been ok?

I'd up your calorie goal by 100 per day, try that for a week or two, and see how you feel on it.

Yes, you're right in thinking that. I've been upping in small increments of 25 cals every week. It's nothing. Like 5 baby carrots. Anyway 100 cals would be more telling. I suppose I'll try my best to try that next week... Thanks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    I've been restricting for far too long and would like to stop and eat a normal amount of food, so like everyone on MFP recommends, I went to check out IIFYM.com to use their TDEE calculator. I am 5'3" and fluctuate between 108-112. I don't eat enough - don't lecture me, I KNOW I NEED TO EAT more, hence my confusion over this TDEE thing. My maintenance is over 1700 a day. Even though I work out 6 days per week this seems awfully high for someone my size. My frame is medium to small. I don't think I've ever eaten that much daily unless during some massive holiday reverie for a month or so. My "aggressive" fat loss calorie goal was around 1300, which seems way more like what my TDEE should be. Am I getting this all wrong, or what? I want to get back to eating normally, but it seems way complicated.
    I think you might have trouble estimating food portions and ingredients. Nothing wrong with that! We all started somewhere.
    1700 isn't a ton of food, unless you only eat lean meat and veggies. Once you start adding carbs and fats to your diet, and this is something everyone should do because fats are important for your body and carbs are yummy, the calories add up very quickly. 1tbsp of oil = 100 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

the only thing over complicating it is you thinking that 1700 calories is a lot... it really isnt.
  • ldy_78

That's great. I just read that story! Very inspiring and encouraging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I don't think that's off, I'm 5' 3.5" 135 and my maintenance would be 2061.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member

For some reason, clicking that link made the result come out all wonky with broken images and stuff. I removed the highlighting and it fixed it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

This...1700 is not a lot. With Exercise I know women your height (10lbs heavier) that maintain on 200-2300 typically due to activity.
  • ldy_78
    Thanks everyone for the honest feedback. FYI I have been on a highly restricted diet for a long time - measuring and accounting for most everything. There is likely a margin of error, but even so, it would still place me under my calorie goal. I haven't been eating any refined oils or fats, with an OCCASIONAL egg yolk from time to time or smidge of avocado. It's ridiculous. The sad truth is that if I even think about peanut butter, I gain weight. Every body is different, and mine seems to hoard fat. I'm jealous of everyone who eats avocados and coconut oil and all those yummy fats. Anyway, I'll give the higher cals a go and see how I feel.

Thanks again :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    1700 isn't a lot of calories...my wife is 5'3" and pushing 40 and maintains on roughly 2200 - 2300 with her exercise. It seems like a lot to you because you've been restricting intake.