Why on Earth...

Options
does everyone demonize fat and celebrate protein? Fat is not bad for you, or detrimental to weightloss. Fat is a necessary macronutrient, keeps you feeling full, and "healthy" fats can really improve cholesterol. Whereas excessive protein can be converted into glucose if not used by the body. I just don't understand all the (dietary!) fat hate

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    fat keeps you full, true. but so does protein.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of people think that dietary fat makes you fat and it really doesn't. I feel like if I eat really fatty things I don't stay as full as if I ate something with high protein though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Fat, protein, and carbs. . . all good. Food is not the enemy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    does everyone demonize fat and celebrate protein? Fat is not bad for you, or detrimental to weightloss. Fat is a necessary macronutrient, keeps you feeling full, and "healthy" fats can really improve cholesterol. Whereas excessive protein can be converted into glucose if not used by the body. I just don't understand all the (dietary!) fat hate

Are you scared of glucose or carbs for some reason?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

I don't see a lot of that here. Broader society is still recovering from a prolonged "reduced fat" marketing binge, but otherwise not so much. Now society hates gluten, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

Shelf-stability is the new tobacco.

Go get your fat on!

With love,
    Burt
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I don't see a lot of that here. Broader society is still recovering from a prolonged "reduced fat" marketing binge, but otherwise not so much. Now society hates gluten, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

Pretty much this.

Also I think it isn't so much that fat is "demonized," but that people are aware that fats have more calories than proteins and carbs so they try to cut calories by cutting fat. I personally have lower fat milk for that reason when on a deficit and make sure I get fats in other places because loading up on calories from steak is more fun than milk. :flowerforyou:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Are you scared of glucose or carbs for some reason?

BAM - was just about to say!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't see fat being demonized.

I see people being told to forget about low fat items, that fat is required, the fat and protien keep you feeling fuller longer.

What I see being demonized is the following

carbs that are white, anything with sugar until they realize that lots of natural foods have tonnes of sugar, soda/pop, or anything "processed"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to go low fat or fat free to decrease my cholesterol :huh:

But yeah. Personally, the mix of complex carbs and fat is what keeps me full the most, apparently. But I still go low fat for some things to save calories when the difference in taste doesn't matter that much to me (like low fat cheese in tacos, or fat free yogurt). In the end it's really about what you want to spend your calories on, and fat does have a lot of calories, so I'd still rather go for a low fat cut of meat, for example.