from calorie deflict to carb free

Options
For a little over a year i've followed a calorie controlled moderation diet (moderation - eating anything, focussing on clean). Been struggling with carb cravings, come weekends the deflict is messed up by carbs and that causes slow losses, if any.To curb the carb cravings have decided to change over to carb free (don't eat/taste it = no cravings..).
Now my problem comes in, being used to 800-1000cal diet. The double creams, oils, fats, cheese, butter etc are high in calories. Yesterday i went over by 236cal - not good, feaked out.
Getting hungry now, but terrified of eating anything!! What ever i pair up is high in calories, scared i will go over again (so now i'm not eating anything!) What would "experts" reccommend, carb + fat free or carb free? 
(my hair, skin and brain, so dry from cutting fat for over a year.. Not lifting at the moment)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For a little over a year i've followed a calorie controlled moderation diet (moderation - eating anything, focussing on clean). Been struggling with carb cravings, come weekends the deflict is messed up by carbs and that causes slow losses, if any.To curb the carb cravings have decided to change over to carb free (don't eat/taste it = no cravings..).
    Now my problem comes in, being used to 800-1000cal diet. The double creams, oils, fats, cheese, butter etc are high in calories. Yesterday i went over by 236cal - not good, feaked out.
    Getting hungry now, but terrified of eating anything!! What ever i pair up is high in calories, scared i will go over again (so now i'm not eating anything!) What would "experts" reccommend, carb + fat free or carb free? 
    (my hair, skin and brain, so dry from cutting fat for over a year.. Not lifting at the moment)

yeah the fact that you're only eating 800-1000 cals probably isnt helping your hair, skin, brain or muscles...

why does it have to be one or the other? learn moderation...
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 4 foot tall, you are going to cause severe damage to yourself on a 800-1000 calorie diet with 0 carbs. The only advice that needs to be given is..... stop. I am sorry I try to help everyone, but this kind of voodoo diet is just reckless and dangerous.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    800-1000 calories? Say whaaat? Are you serious? I hope you're not working out as well to put yourself into even more of a deficit?

Have you ever used a calculator to work out your BMR? I seriously recommend that you do.

Don't be afraid to eat!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that maybe 'clean eating' could have been the problem. You are basically going from one form of depriving yourself to another form. So you were restricting yourself before and got cravings and are now restricting yourself again. What makes you think that this time will be different?

I think maybe you need to stop leaping from fad to fad. You need to learn moderation as these foods will be around all your life so rather than demonising learn to eat in moderation. If you have problems with the mental aspect of this maybe consider some help or counselling. Hiding from things does not make them go away.

I'm also guessing your eating far more than you think because no matter what if you'd been eating what you say you would have lost weight. the links below will help. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Carb free? Yeah, good luck with that.

Our bodies NEED carbs. They also need more than 800-1000 calories. Does your health mean nothing to you? If you have to permanently damage your body in order to become skinny, is it worth it? If the answer is yes, you should get some therapy.

You're craving carbs because you're hungry from hardly eating. Eat more calories and your problem will be solved.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    You have a very - very bad relationship with food!
    Extreme deficit and VLCD - :grumble:

Anyone with a little knowledge would say eat - everything - within reasonable amounts!
    Reasonable amounts = what are you goals + what are your stats + what is your standard activity level!
  • roeroe5
    roeroe5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Started out with a 1200 - 1300cal for a few months, and just didn't lose anything. Was placed on an 800cal diet by my doctor , only for the loss phase. Weight loss is okay when sticking to it, but carbs get me down, it's a drug. Want to cut carbs to 25-50net carbs a day and see if it helps with cravings, but need the fats for fuel and filling. No voodoo ****t.
    Should I be scared of the high cal fats and rather limit them? Or go slightly up on cals and have the fats? More a question for Atkins lovers :-) lol
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Why were you eating 800-1000 cals daily for over a year? Who told you to do this? It would certainly explain your health complaints. You're not just low fat, you're low everything. A recipe for disaster. Controlled calorie counting will work if you do it properly. No need to restrict any certain food groups. :smile:
  • roeroe5
    Options
    Not working out at the moment, per doctor's prescription. Will be back in the gym closer to goal. I'm on a 600 def, it's not that bad ;-)
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Started out with a 1200 - 1300cal for a few months, and just didn't lose anything. Was placed on an 800cal diet by my doctor , only for the loss phase. Weight loss is okay when sticking to it, but carbs get me down, it's a drug. Want to cut carbs to 25-50net carbs a day and see if it helps with cravings, but need the fats for fuel and filling. No voodoo ****t.
    Should I be scared of the high cal fats and rather limit them? Or go slightly up on cals and have the fats? More a question for Atkins lovers :-) lol

Is your doctor actually qualified?
  • roeroe5
    Options
    Should never have posted, sorry to have waisted everyone's time reading it.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Is your doctor actually qualified?

Yes - qualified from the board of idiots!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    We don't know this persons health issues, nor their stats nor anything else! Criticising definitely won't help! I too was told by my dr to find a deficit that helps me lose weight, going down to as little as 600! He is highly qualified, represented all gps in uk for many years etc. I happened to have found that 1200 works for me so I didn't need to drop any lower, but yes, there are times when low calorie is necessary!

OP- I would reccomend going to 1200 with no carbs, to get urself used to it, and then when u see ur able to manage, the do what u need to! U might find that ur body is losing weight at 1200 as well
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You have been eating v little and wonder if doctor knows that and wonder how long youve been doing this as it might have affected your metabolism meaning you might need some expert help to get you eating a reasonable amount.

On low carbing - you dont need to count cals on low carb, the fat will keep appeitie where it should be. Instead count carbs 20mg a day is really low, 50mgs a day is low. Or just stick to a list of foods with a low enough carb count that you know you arent going over. Low carb veg only, plenty of meat, decent amount of fat. If hungry add more fat to veg. So proper fatty meat - pork belly, chicken thighs, offal, chops with the fat on. Fat dairy - butter and cream, full fat milk sparingly (or use cream or a low carb milk alternatie) Go easy on nuts. You will need an adjustment phase 3-7 days for carb flu and plenty of prep to make sure ou have meals ready - the diet does not forgive slip ups you need to stay low carb. Take a multivit to make up for lack of fruit. A lot of water - 2.5 litres or more. Look up some guides to help you get the idea and help w recipes, meal planning.

Eat til full, many people find they end up on about 3 meals a day withuot hunger for snacks. It does work, not really through voodoo (although your body will dump water and glycogen early on) just through the fact that this is one way to sustain a deficit without really counting a lot.

Counting cals and low carbing defeats the purpose in my book, the whole point is you wont need to spend time weighing and logging.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I mean grams not milligrams
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not working out at the moment, per doctor's prescription. Will be back in the gym closer to goal. I'm on a 600 def, it's not that bad ;-)

i call troll based on that response... 600 is bad but 800 is ok... riiiiiiiiight.... :noway:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    We can certainly get a good idea of what her stats are.

Goal weight: 53 kg
    Current weight: 66 kg
    Height: Between 146 cm AND 172 cm (Goal BMI = 25 & 18 respectively)
    Most Likely Height: 157 cm (Goal BMI = 21.5)

35F/172cm/66.2kg = BMR of 1435 = TDEE 1720 - 2475
    35F/157cm/66.2kg = BMR of 1410 = TDEE 1700 - 2400
    35F/146cm/66.kg = BMR of 1390 = TDEE 1670 - 2400

You'll note, across the entire range of heights, that the TDEE range is pretty close. You gain/loss less than 2 calories for every cm and less than 5 calories for every year. So even if my numbers are off, they aren't likely to be off significantly.

These numbers also are pretty close to her own claims (600 cal deficit is 1000 cal/day).

All that said, I also think she's eating far too little. I am all for low-carb, but this is low everything.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

i call troll based on that response... 600 is bad but 800 is ok... riiiiiiiiight.... :noway:

600 calories 'def'=deficit.

Just pointing out its probably not trolling, just following bad advice.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No one is trolling her or being disrespectful, and to even insinuate that her doctor is qualified to put someone on a 800 calorie diet is insane. The best thing she can possibly do is increase her caloric intake over weeks, by 100 calories a week up to about 1800 calories for a month or so and see how that effects her body. Chances are, her metabolism will start to actually function, even people on low carb diets have refeed days, they exist for a reason. Hell when I cut weight I do it 325 grams of carbs with ease, sure I am in the gym 7 days a week, but effectively reducing your bodies glycogen storage to nothing and then expecting to function by increasing fat is silly, and any doctor who would recommend that shouldn't be a doctor. The simplest form of weight loss without impacting your bodily function is to get enough protein and fat to sustain muscle mass and hormone balance, the rest is carbs. Sure if you are cutting for a show, cut your carbs down, but for general weight loss that is sustained, it will not last. Lets also not forget that the only effective way to lose weight and maintain it is to establish healthy eating habits, the OPs eating habits are everything but healthy and cannot possibly be maintained for a life time without serious health complications. If you want to cheer her on and stand by while her body takes a beating because her doctor read some bull**** study that was done on 10 people, go for it, I will not.