bump
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just stop.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    most binge eating is the direct result of eating too little. Don't try to lose weight quickly. Lose it slowly. Ensure you're feeding your body all the nutrients it needs including protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water. The total number of calories should be enough that you don't get any of the problems associated with eating too little, including binge eating, excessive hunger, tiredness, feeling run down, etc.

There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" - please read it and follow the advice regarding eating the right amount of calories to lose fat slowly. Not only is this much healthier, you get to enjoy a lot more food in the process, and still lose weight slowly. And when you get there it's usually easier to maintain long term because you didn't torture yourself to get there.

If you're 100% certain you really are eating enough then it's possible that binge eating has a psychological cause. But you need to rule out the basic survival response binge eating, because that's what it is in most cases and even if there are psychological issues making you binge eat, if you're also eating too little then you're making the battle against the psychological issues far, far harder.
  • missh1967
    Options
    Just stop.

You're a nurse and you say something like that?

Calm yourself. I say that as one who used to binge eat.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I binged quite a few times in the past few months, which is something quite new for me.
    Even though I've gained a few lbs from doing it, I've decided to just up my calories to 0.5 lb a week loss (1450 net) instead of 1-2lbs a week (1200) because that low amount has become a lot harder to handle as I've become thinner :/ Well the good news is that I haven't binged since upping them.... so you may want to consider if you're getting enough foodage.
  • scrummyone
    Options
    Yes make sure that you are eating the right amount of food. Starving will cause binges (and fat gain).

Also check that you are eating the right amount of protein in particular. Protein affects hormones associated with appetite and lack of protein is often a cause of binge eating.

And healthy fats are needed and slow-release carbohydrates in order to modulate appetite. Stay off extruded oils like sunflower and ones just labelled vegetable oil and away from sugar as these can also affect appetite.

Sex hormones influence appetite - PMS being a cause of increased appetite for carbs so be gentle with yourself if you are pre-menstrual. Balancing the hormones comes with good diet full of B vitamins and beneficial fats such as the omega 3 type, especially from fish.

Then, if that fails consider emotional eating, where feelings are managed via food. There are many books on this topic and local therapists to help. Also the National Centre for Eating Disorders in the UK has many regional counselors.

Dieting is also a common trigger for binges so this may not be the best place for you at the moment. Use the information in a gentle way and avoid becoming obsessed with calorie counting and restricting.

Look after your self and health. Good luck.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    most binge eating is the direct result of eating too little. Don't try to lose weight quickly. Lose it slowly. Ensure you're feeding your body all the nutrients it needs including protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water. The total number of calories should be enough that you don't get any of the problems associated with eating too little, including binge eating, excessive hunger, tiredness, feeling run down, etc.

There's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" - please read it and follow the advice regarding eating the right amount of calories to lose fat slowly. Not only is this much healthier, you get to enjoy a lot more food in the process, and still lose weight slowly. And when you get there it's usually easier to maintain long term because you didn't torture yourself to get there.

If you're 100% certain you really are eating enough then it's possible that binge eating has a psychological cause. But you need to rule out the basic survival response binge eating, because that's what it is in most cases and even if there are psychological issues making you binge eat, if you're also eating too little then you're making the battle against the psychological issues far, far harder.

Bolded for emphasis.

Eat to fuel the level of activity you are undertaking.

Aim for a modest calorie deficit and build sustainable and easy-to-adhere-to habits. This will lead to long term adherence and, ultimately, results.

Oh, and get plenty of protein, too.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I found that once I practiced portion control with the foods that I like and just mentally convinced myself that I only needed a small amount of certain things to feel satisfied, it eventually started coming to me naturally as a habit. It isn't always easy, and it doesn't happen overnight, but you will get there. Also, make to get plenty of water, protein and fiber to keep you hydrated and full.
  • engagedprincess
    engagedprincess Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

You think I haven't tried that?
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    Just stop.

every single person binge eats for different reasons
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

identify your reasons and learn some new coping mechanisms so you're not eating your feelings....

if the bingeing is from restricting too much - eat more!
  • missh1967
    Options
    Just stop.

That is exactly right. Do you know your reasons?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

And then stops, or not, the choice is yours.
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    Just stop.

Well your advice was helpful...
    My question was HOW to stop in case you didn't realise.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

Well your advice was helpful...
    My question was HOW to stop in case you didn't realise.

You have to identify WHY you're doing it.
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    Just stop.

A defense mechanism to stop myself from being raped again. Because if I become big enough, hopefully no one will find me attractive.

As well as depression and other mental health issues.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

A defense mechanism to stop myself from being raped again. Because if I become big enough, hopefully no one will find me attractive.

Are you seeing anyone for these issues?
    If you are, you need to be talking to them.

If you're not, you need help of a doctor.
  • engagedprincess
    Options
    Just stop.

Are you seeing anyone for these issues?
    If you are, you need to be talking to them.

If you're not, you need help of a doctor.

I have been seeing mental health professionals for years.