Anybody with PCOS?

Options

Replies

• jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everybody it does make you feel so much better when you see that there are so many others that are dealing with the same problem and they are still losing and have lost so much weight.! thank you so much ladies. I will keep this in mind and I will come back to this post anytime I feel like I cannot do it.
  • jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :)
  • WatchJenShrink
    WatchJenShrink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had it for years. I got serious about losing weight this May and so far, I'm down 41 pounds. It's possible!
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and yes it is very hard to loose but can be done. I lost 97 lbs but quit doing what I must do and gained 31 lbs back. Very disheartening. I can easily gain 10 lbs in a week. But no one can do it but me. Logging everything is such a great way to hold yourself accountable. Don't get discouraged...just keep it up!
  • daminiangel
    Options
    hey..i was diagnosed with pcos 6 months ago. since then its been a struggle to loose weight. i have tried a number of diets lemon diets many more. but nothing worked. then i joined a balanced diet class and its really been helping. i exercise daily for 60 min and try to have a balanced diet as much as possible bcoz its not possible when ur out too much. i started it a week ago and i have lost 2 pounds since. i was looking for more ways to loose when i joined this site and saw your post. so dont worry u might be discouraged for a while but u have to be strong and i am sure you can do it!!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My doctor suspects I may have it, as it's more of a "we're ruled out a lot of other things, so this may be it" type of diagnosis.

I am more successful with weight loss if I can exercise regularly (3-4 times/week) and keep my carbs lower (around 100-120g).

It's a struggle, if I fall off the wagon even a little, I gain it back.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS!
    It's important to find friends on here who also have PCOS because we lose weight differently (and much slower) than most people do. This group(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis) is a great one for resources and information!
    I'll send you a friend request as well!
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from PCOS most of my life. I have found that for weight loss I need to eliminate the majority of white starches and non essential carbs for best results. I stick to complex carbs in moderation such as black beans , sweet potatoes , green beans , cauliflower, spinach and lots of leafy greens and whole wheat bread on occasion.

I typically with a moderate exercise program can lose easily 1.5-2 lbs a week. This may or may not work for you but I have seen many with PCOS cutting back on carbs has helped in some way.

Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. There isn't a quick fix , and in our case can be even longer but the battle is worth it I assure you!
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 60 pounds since January.

Awesome! What helped you the most?
    Just sticking to my calories consistently is all I've done. I tend to lose a bit quicker when I can exercise, but still manage to lose without it too.
  • hockeychick8766
    hockeychick8766 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 19, so 5 years now. I've lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks!
    The "diet" that has been working really well for me is low-ish carbs.
    I try not to eat more than 110 carbs a day, and 130 if I'm working out.
    I still eat pizza, and cake, and Starbucks, just everything in moderation.
  • haywarren
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 12lbs since the end of June. No meds just healthy eating & exercising around 3 times a week! MFP keeps me on track! Good luck!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 65 pounds and yes it's difficult but I've also tried a lot of different diet styles but I'm losing weight pretty easy now just eating and calorie control. I'm hoping it'll be cured or atleast calm down as I lose weight. My motivation is so I can get pregnant :laugh: I think about that and laugh because it's like yes I'm lose weight to get pregnant... and gain it all back!! :laugh:
    I was lucky enough to get pcos thanks to my mom and I've had it since I was like 11, kinda has made my life hell.

Oh and I just wanna throw out there I eat lots of carbs and my weight loss is great. Not everyone with PCOS has to shun carbs.
  • ssun387
    ssun387 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    r u indian?
  • zozotxiki
    Options
    I *had* PCOS. This I find weird, as I was at the OBGYN the other day and I now apparently would not be diagnosed with it... :smile:
    Apparently I have one large cyst on the left ovie and 6 smaller ones on the right... but.... not poly... she said. So, yay! It can get better, it seems.

Always been "large", struggled to lose weight . Down 15kgs (still another 20kg+ to go though)...
    My acne has cleared up a lot, my TOM is still all over the place, my hormones are still all over the place. I'm still pretty hairy.. quite muscular... I'd make a really hot dude :laugh:
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, was diagnosed at 19. I have that which was termed "lean PCOS" as I was not overweight at the time.
    But come age 30 and 2 kids later (let's not mention the whole trying to get pregnant phase, with a 90+ day cycle, I'm just glad I did), the weight started stacking on and all the other classical issues associated with PCOS began showing up.

I'm a small person (4'9), and I was creeping into the overweight section. The wake-up call was when my Dad was diagnosed with diabetes and then cancer. Huge family history of diabetes and I could see all the beginning signs in myself.

I lost 10kg (about 22pds). I am back in my 'sweet spot' in terms of weight and I am back to loving exercise. I don't eat low carb, but I do generally follow a low-GI diet similar to a diabetic diet. My son and husband are also coeliac, so I eat probably 90% gluten-free by default as our house is gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination.

I still have rough patches. My PCOS isn't going to go away. The acne is better, but still a pain in the neck to have at 35yo :wink: My insulin levels are much more stable though and apart from the occasional carb cravings, it's an awful lot better than before.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have it. I've managed okay. I'm also on medication for hypothyroidism and I've still managed to lose. Feel free to add me.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 101 pounds with PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

Insulin Resistance and PCOS are directly related since both deal with hormone levels. The only TRUE way to lose weigh with PCOS is to follow a low carb diet.

Carbs and Sugar gets turned into Insulin. Insulin is a hormone that effects your reproductive system and adds pounds around your waist line.

PCOS is NOT a death sentence. You just got to understand who it works!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 65 pounds and yes it's difficult but I've also tried a lot of different diet styles but I'm losing weight pretty easy now just eating and calorie control. I'm hoping it'll be cured or atleast calm down as I lose weight. My motivation is so I can get pregnant :laugh: I think about that and laugh because it's like yes I'm lose weight to get pregnant... and gain it all back!! :laugh:
    I was lucky enough to get pcos thanks to my mom and I've had it since I was like 11, kinda has made my life hell.

Oh and I just wanna throw out there I eat lots of carbs and my weight loss is great. Not everyone with PCOS has to shun carbs.

You're actually really lucky then on the carb front. Are you sure you had PCOS at all? How did your mom give you PCOS since you were 11?
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yep right here! I'm almost done, just want to drop 5 more pounds. Its hard work, I've seen plenty of success story of people who have lost the same amount as me in half the amount of time! It can be frustrating, I hit several Plateaus in which I was cursing with frustration! Its taken me over 2 years to drop 95 lbs, but I've never been as happy or as healthy as I am now!
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS! I'm more or less done with my weight loss journey but I lost 45 pounds over the last year, slow and steady. It can be done! Calorie restriction and exercise! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!