Feeling guilty on rest days

Options
Does anyone else feel guilty on rest days? I'm exhausted today and my legs are killing me. Even though it was supposed to be upper body day, I took a rest. It'll be the first since Saturday which seems like a good idea, right? I'm just kind of an anxious person and taking a rest makes me feel like I won't hit all my goals for the week.

Replies

• Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

Remember that you're not building muscle while you're working out: that's just the prep work. It's only when you are sleeping and resting that your body is building those muscles bigger, badder and stronger.

Did you give it everything you had this week? Did you do all the prep work you could?

Your body is telling you it needs a break. You can never go wrong by listening to what your body is telling you. (Unless, of course, it's telling you that a dozen doughnuts seem like a really good idea right now.)

Then it's time to give your body a chance to do *its* thing. Sleep and rest are necessary parts of any good workout routine, so you should never feel guilty about doing either.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that Jim's response shows he is way smarter than I am.

This is so timely. I've been adding some running to my workouts and last night my legs were just so tight and sore! So, this morning, still feeling sore, I decided not to do my normal workout. I have been feeling so bad all day. I'm totally off my game. I just want the day to be done so that I can start again tomorrow with a good workout.

In other words, you're not alone. I know how you feel!!! But... Jim is right.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I know he's RIGHT. I understand it. I'm a smart person...It's just that I'm so anxious about it ya know? More of an emotional thing than an idea I cannot grasp.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    You're right. I'm going to kick butt tomorrow. Right now I am totally useless.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    As a Triathlete, I have found that some workouts help you recover. when I'm really sore, Nothing makes me feel better and work out the kinks than a swim or an easy bike ride. Sometimes the muscle are so sore, you need to move then to name then feel better.

Like a little exercise hair-of-the-dog.

Try swimming, yoga, or cycling after a tough day. You still need the occasional full rest day, but active rest can be part of your program. But remember to go in and do active rest! Don't start doing laps or spinning and end up racing the person next to you!
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Yeah i was kind of wondering about "active rest". It's kind of what my body would prefer to do compared to a complete rest day. I would have tried to figure something out today too but there was more going on than just the physical. Oh well...Tomorrow is another day
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I also feel guilty even though I know I need the rest day. I do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength, alternating, and on Sunday I rest. Last Sunday I only got 3000 steps on my fitbit and really felt like I should have done more. On the other hand, I got my grocery list prepared, picked up a couple of things at Walmart, and crocheted a scarf while catching up on my recorded shows so it wasn't a true "do nothing" day.
  • BarWench11
    Options
    I've come down with the flu and yet I'm still beating myself up about not going to the gym. I have spent most of the day trying to convince myself that it's ok to go lifting when I know very well that burning myself out is counterproductive.

I think one of the most surprising victories of fitness is when you begin to crave physical exertion.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had rest day this past Mon. I made myself not do a darn thing. I even forgot to take the garbage out to the curb! I felt terrible all day and had no energy at all, but I did not feel guilty because I had given everything I had for 7 days in a row. The hardest part for me was not having all those extra calories burned to eat some back. Too much time on my hands and less food intake make for a "not so happy" me. Tuesday, I got up and kicked some bootie!! Next week I need to find a way to keep my mind occupied while my body is resting.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Rest days make me crazy lol
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    yup, I'm the same.

So on those days I try to get other parts of my health "game" on track. I cook many of my weekly meals and package them. I work out all my supplements. Wash my gym clothing including workout gloves. Go shopping at the different stores that have my different foods.

Catch up on my reading on my favorite websites...even data mine this sites reports to figure out what I could do better..faster...stronger.

So by the next day, I raring to go.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've seen Jim's posts on a few different strings recently. Just to say, I really appreciate his even tone and sensible, empathetic approach. Listen to him!
  • cjtsparkles
    cjtsparkles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was totally feeling guilty on my rest days. Have recently started doing half an hour of yoga or stretching in the evening if I've done nothing else during the day. It definitely makes me calmer and makes the day feel complete.

That said, when you need a day off, you need a day off! Look at the big picture and as long as you're still working towards your goal, a day off here and there doesn't equal failure - it equals human!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Never, I eat, relax and enjoy my day off. The most 'active recovery' I do on a rest day is walking around. If you start exercising on a rest day, youre doing it wrong.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I typically have 1 - 2 rest days a week, but usually I will do yoga or walk or do a cardio routine that I enjoy (like zumba/hip hop). I can't cross train every day, it's just too much.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Yeah i was kind of wondering about "active rest". It's kind of what my body would prefer to do compared to a complete rest day. I would have tried to figure something out today too but there was more going on than just the physical. Oh well...Tomorrow is another day

The proper term is "active recovery". It's not a bad idea to have one rest day each week. For some, 2 rest days is even better. Those are the day(s) where taking the dogs for a walk, doing some things around the house that may involve light movement, going shopping, catching a movie, paying the bills, etc.... should take up your time.

The motto of "workout HARD, and rest HARDER" is a good one.

Active recovery is very light movement of 30 minutes (trained professional athletes and high ranking amateurs) can get away with 60-90 minutes because they know how to do it. For others, the HR would stay in the recovery zone and most are not patient enough to ride, walk, run, swim that slowly. For those - that are too impatient, it's better they just rest because they continually fail to "rest HARDER". The poster above mentioned cycling using active recovery. However, we are talking granny gear, spinning at such an easy cadence it takes little to no effort, and the HR would stay down in the 90's to 110 or so. Going for a short and easy walk (think lollygag pace) is much easier.

Sometimes, 2 consecutive days of rest are required. And for structured training, many do a 5 day or an entire week of rest and recovery every third or fourth week in their training cycle. It's not that you don't exercise during a rest and recovery week, but it is at less intensity and shorter duration to allow the muscle to supercompensate and grow to prepare you for the next 2-3 week block of training.

If you really want to improve your performance, and your strength gains - you must become well acquainted with rest and recovery (and active recovery). Otherwise, you are just tearing down muscle that has not had a chance to replenish itself and you will stagnate/stall/degrade any growth.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    *snipped for brevity*
    If you really want to improve your performance, and your strength gains - you must become well acquainted with rest and recovery (and active recovery). Otherwise, you are just tearing down muscle that has not had a chance to replenish itself and you will stagnate/stall/degrade any growth.

For a total newbie, am I doing this right? M-W-F I take a water exercise class that is 30-35 minutes cardio and 20-25 minutes strength and stretch (the strength is mildly taxing to the muscles using things like foam dumbbells against water resistance). T-R-Sa I work out on resistance machines, 16 different ones which takes me 35 minutes and at the highest weight I can handle, and walk for 30 minutes. Sunday I do nothing. Yes, I plan on progressing by adding weight as I get stronger and walking more as my hip and back improve.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I get cranky when I take un-planned rest days. Those are usually the days where we plan to go to the gym in the afternoon but work gets in the way so it doesn't happen and by time I realize we aren't going I'm too annoyed to do anything.

Planned rest days though I'm ok with. Those are typically the weekend for me or if I am super sore and tired.
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This week I rearranged my schedule to add in an extra day of running (4 vs 3). I had an amazingly fantastic run (for me lol- not truly impressive to the rest of the universe) this morning. Usually I do another 60ish minutes of strength training & yoga after my runs, but today... newp. My body said it was used up and that was that. I did my yoga so I can move my legs later today, but after that it was straight to the shower.
    Yeah, I feel a little guilty about missing out on the rest of my workout, but hopefully this means I won't be a crippled lump of sleepy soreness tomorrow morning when I want to go for a walk with the dogs. :)