O.M.G Crossfit lifting!!

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Indeed, all Crossfitters must lift that way.

Fail.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh....shoot.
    I must admit, I chuckled a few times at some of the announcer's lines.
    (Course, the funniest part is, he misses the contradiction in the fact that he claims all over the site that Crossfit will not build muscle and strength, and, yet, those deadlift weights are pretty incredible!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Amusing
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Right, because crossfitters are the only people that can have bad form. Obviously.

http://www.weighttraining.com/blog/10-epic-weightlifting-fails
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    OMG their poor backs :(

Haha makes me feel good about my form.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Another thread putting down a fitness community.

That's what we need more of.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    What a stupid website, the guy must not have gotten enough attention from his mommy.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Another thread putting down a fitness community.

That's what we need more of.

No, just another thread poking fun at Crossfit.

And yes, we do need more of those.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Right, because crossfitters are the only people that can have bad form. Obviously.

http://www.weighttraining.com/blog/10-epic-weightlifting-fails

One of the smarmy videos floating around listing "Crossfit fails" includes a few of these.

I'll say this for the ladies. If you do Olympic lifting like snatches and clean and jerks with heavy weights (approaching failure) then look ponytails are NOT your friends. At all.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of vids of crossfitters with good form.

There are plenty of vids of non-crossfitters with bad form.

For every yoga practitioner with a great downward dog there's plenty (more than plenty) that require some work.

For every martial artist that moves like silk there's a tonne that look like Frankenstein's monster.

I could go on...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    OMG, stop the CF hate & madness already. Go into any gym and 75% of the people squatting, benching, curling, deadlifting, shrugging look like complete dumb-****s because their form is terrible. Did you watch the last CrossFit games? I watched the men tear through the Power Clean ladders like they were cleaning broomsticks and most of their form was impeccable. Aside from CF pull-ups and strength programming, there is nothing wrong with CF; there are only problems with bad coaches that teach and allow bad form. That is a problem in ANY form of training. Go into your gym during peak hours and just walk around and observe people lifting, it's a joke.

I am making the above statement as somebody that is indifferent to CF and has no intention of every doing it because it doesn't work towards my personal goals. Take it for what it's worth.

Edit: I decided to watch the video anyway and yeah the form isn't great. However, these look like max effort attempts, NOBODY'S form is perfect on a max effort attempt. Anybody that has worked up to their true 1RM knows this; I'm assuming the OP never has.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of vids of crossfitters with good form.

There are plenty of vids of non-crossfitters with bad form.

For every yoga practitioner with a great downward dog there's plenty (more than plenty) that require some work.

For every martial artist that moves like silk there's a tonne that look like Frankenstein's monster.

I could go on...
    OMG, stop the CF hate & madness already. Go into any gym and 75% of the people squatting, benching, curling, deadlifting, shrugging look like complete dumb-****s because their form is terrible. Did you watch the last CrossFit games? I watched the men tear through the Power Clean ladders like they were cleaning broomsticks and most of their form was impeccable. Aside from CF pull-ups and strength programming, there is nothing wrong with CF; there are only problems with bad coaches that teach and allow bad form. That is a problem in ANY form of training. Go into your gym during peak hours and just walk around and observe people lifting, it's a joke.

I am making the above statement as somebody that is indifferent to CF and has no intention of every doing it because it doesn't work towards my personal goals. Take it for what it's worth.

Edit: I decided to watch the video anyway and yeah the form isn't great. However, these look like max effort attempts, NOBODY'S form is perfect on a max effort attempt. Anybody that has worked up to their true 1RM knows this; I'm assuming the OP never has.

:drinker:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I realize bad form is everywhere. the thing the irks me about crossfit is it happens at competitions, not just the amateurs who are deadlifting for the first time

if you have good form nothing wrong with it though, crossfit actually finds some good middle ground between strength and endurance
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Where are the clips with the good form? hmmm since it only showed maybe 5/2000 competitiors eh.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ok there were some nice bodies on those women. There form though was hilarious and that's why that one girl hurt herself. LOL

I was like no way there dead lift is close to mine. I was right.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Coming from a site that has the term 'broscience' in it I'm taking it for what it's worth. I only watched a part of it because I couldn't stand the commentators voice. Sounds like he's a little butt-hurt that he can't lift like that. Calling them "washed up Olympians" is pretty funny.

I watched some of the Crossfit Games when I was on vacation last year and I have to say that the women had some bangin' bodies and I was impressed with how much weight they could lift.

And like others have pointed out: go into any gym and you will see people everywhere with worse form than what the video showed. I shake my head all the time when I'm at the gym and I see the form on some people.