Supplements

Options
Not sure if this is where to post this or not.

But I started P90X a couple days ago. I was wondering if there is any good and helpful supplements out there? I wanted to try that p90X Recovery Formula. I heard good things about it. But what about far burners? Protein shakes/bars etc? There is so much out there, I'm sure 90% of it is a scam.

I can't wait for spring time. I can get back outdoors and start walking and playing sports again. Really burn those extra calories. In the mean time, if there is anything that can really be helpful I'd be willing to give it a try.

Replies

• chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars! I buy Aldi brand and they are wonderful! I also loke Luna bars. They taste like a candy bar, but they actually fill me up for a few hours. I do NOT eat them alone as a meal replacement as suggested, but they are a good quick snack that I feel holds better than 2 100 calorie pack of crackers fro instance. Good Luck!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Here's all the stuff I took the last couple of weeks.

Morning:
    Centrium
    Vitamin C
    Calcium plus Vitamin D
    Fish Oil
    Baby Aspirin.

Before workout
    BSN NO XPlode (I hadn't had any in a week. I'm about to start NO Shotgun)

After
    1 Scoop of GNC 100% Whey Protein-- Banana Cream
    Ice
    Water
    Cup of Blueberries
    Banana
    And I blend this all into a good smoothie.

An hour later I eat .
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Not sure if this is where to post this or not.

But I started P90X a couple days ago. I was wondering if there is any good and helpful supplements out there? I wanted to try that p90X Recovery Formula. I heard good things about it. But what about far burners? Protein shakes/bars etc? There is so much out there, I'm sure 90% of it is a scam.

I can't see what the P90X Recovery Formula actually consists of. Best post-workout bang for your buck? Glass of chocolate milk. Want to improve it? Throw in a scoop of peanut butter or protein shake. You may also need to define what you consider a "scam"... there are many supplements that have an effect though not as nearly a drastic an effect as advertised. Fat burners fall into that category. Do they do "something"? Sure... anything with caffeine in it will help with weight loss and hunger. Will they cause you to get shredded and lose 50 lbs of fat in a month? Probably not.

IMO there are only a handful of proven 'workout' supplements, both scientifically and practically. That short list includes:

(1) Protein supplements: No different than eating a nice steak.
    (2) Creatine monohydrate

...that's actually the short list, lol. Many of the other fad supplements (e.g., glutamine) simply don't have any scientific support for their claims.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am trying to drop about 80 LBS in 7 months. So maybe 3-4lbs a week. So I am looking for something that would help maybe burn a extra or calorie or two a week.

I will have to try the milk and peanut butter thing.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I am trying to drop about 80 LBS in 7 months. So maybe 3-4lbs a week. So I am looking for something that would help maybe burn a extra or calorie or two a week.

Oh, wait. Then you're going to be in a calorie deficit with P90X? I don't know what the nutritional guide they give advises. Make sure the chocolate milk + peanut butter don't knock you out of your calorie goals. I'd save the fat burners (if you're really interested) for when/if your fat loss stalls.
  • Spitfirex007
    Options

Oh, wait. Then you're going to be in a calorie deficit with P90X? I don't know what the nutritional guide they give advises. Make sure the chocolate milk + peanut butter don't knock you out of your calorie goals. I'd save the fat burners (if you're really interested) for when/if your fat loss stalls.

The guide suggest 1800 for the phase 1. Which is what I planned on trying to stay at anyways. And why I was hoping I could find some fat burners. Really anything to help lose weight or keep my food craving down. I just wanna make sure if I spend 40-60 bucks for a months worth of supplements it is going to be worth while.
  • Spitfirex007
    Options
    I've been reading up a bit on Oxy Elite Pro. Someone who had amazing results with P90X suggested them. And a lot of people claim it gives them high energy (With no problem sleeping) and really cuts back on their craving for food. Almost to the point they have to force themselves to eat. Anybody here tried these?

They seem like something that could really help. But I've never taken pills or any supplement's. Not sure what to expect or not expect with these things.