12 yr old low carb

Hi All

We have a 12 year old that needs to lose 20 lbs in 4 months(he is over 100 lbs overweight, blood pressure up and insulin is up too. Any kid friendly recipes that are very low carb?

https://plus.google.com/105971632010079093827/posts/QGzx2KRGVu8

Replies

• kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    was this recommended by a nutritionist? did they give you any example recipes/meal plans? you should ask

pinterest has a ton of low carb recipes, just search low carb. there's one ive tried that are pizza cups (put low-sodium ham slices in a muffin tin, fill with sauce, veggies, cheese turkey pepperoni or sausage) and bake in the muffin tin. i can vouch for those - they're delicious.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I would suggest going to his pediatrician. Since it's medically related, they will probably refer you to a registered dietician/nutritionist to assist you.

IMO, 20 lbs in 4 months is really hard to do for an adult, let alone a child. I would not do ANY kind of calorie restriction with a child unless under the supervision of a qualified doctor. I understand he's 100 lbs overweight, but that's all the more reason to go to his doctor. Kids need way different nutritional needs from us adults, low carb or not.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    I would suggest going to his pediatrician. Since it's medically related, they will probably refer you to a registered dietician/nutritionist to assist you.

IMO, 20 lbs in 4 months is really hard to do for an adult, let alone a child. I would not do ANY kind of calorie restriction with a child unless under the supervision of a qualified doctor. I understand he's 100 lbs overweight, but that's all the more reason to go to his doctor. Kids need way different nutritional needs from us adults, low carb or not.

This.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    why does he need to lose it in 4 months? speak to a doctor... weight loss and calorie and carb cutting is not something you want to mess about with with growing kids without the supervision of a professional.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    I'm been attempting low carb and I haven't even been able to lose 5 pounds a month, and I do weights and cardio on top of the diet restrictions. 20 pounds sounds pretty tricky! I second the dietician, but in the meantime there are lots of low carb ideas on Pinterest as well! The pizza crusts made from califlower, pasta from zuchinni, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi All

We have a 12 year old that needs to lose 20 lbs in 4 months(he is over 100 lbs overweight, blood pressure up and insulin is up too. Any kid friendly recipes that are very low carb?

:huh:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

This.

^Ya that.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    I found these the other day, they are amazing with blueberries in them and a dash of vanilla extract. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Why does it have to be "low carb?" Was this recommended by the MD? Why can't it just be getting more exercise and eating a bit less?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    1. Are you speaking with a nutritionist who can tailor a diet to your son's age?
    2. Why low carb?
    3. Why SO aggressive? Is he having surgery in 4 months?

At 100 lbs overweight, I would think that it would be better to slowly replace some higher calorie foods in his life with lower calorie ones, plus find a sport/physical activity he loves and encourage that. Cutting carbs is probably not sustainable, given that he is 12 and probably doesn't want to cut them (it's hard enough for people who are adults who want to cut carbs to cut them).
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    I've been morbidly obese since I was 12. My mom was always putting me on some diet or food plan. I would eat what she gave me and then get food from the vending machine at school and secretly eat all the junk food on grocery day behind her back. I don't know if putting a child on a food restriction will help or hinder. All I know is, I developed an eating disorder because of all the diet garbage my mom forced on me. I am almost 30 years old and I have, only now, started getting help and learning myself through research how to eat healthy and moderately.

Try to add more fruit and vegetables to their diet by making the same meal for everyone saying that you, as a family, need to eat healthier. Don't have junk food in the house at all. Use a dehydrator to make veggie and fruit chips. Have fruit available on the counter for snacking. Maybe an after dinner family walk too. Wal-Mart sells a vegetable pasta maker for around $5. It's great because you can turn zucchini and yellow squash into strips like noodles. Serve those up with lean hamburger and spaghetti sauce and presto, yummy and nutritious food.

You don't have to take my advice I just thought I would chime in and maybe offer a different perspective.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Hi All

no....no no no no no.......See a nutritionist....and a doctor. You are going about it all wrong.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member

This.

And take away the Xbox. Start exercising with him.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Go see a nutritionist FFS.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    poor kids going to have NO energy! why not switch to a healthy diet with fruits and 100% whole wheat instead of candy / white processed bread...way better than cutting carbs for a kid..

I mean it would be easier to cut out the fast food / candy and other junk food instead of cutting carbs
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your feeding habits as a parent, along with getting a medical diagnose for your child.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Does it have to be low carb? I've lost all of my weight by just counting calories and moving more. Low carb is hard for most people, and I can imagine especially so for a child, being so limited and restrictive. What's the rush for anyway? Also, are you consulting a doctor about this? Any diet, especially for a child, should involve a doctor's supervision. Just my two cents anyway...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    This might sound judgmental, but it's not meant to be.

To me, the problem seems simple. Overweight kid? Insert healthier food, delete some junk, get him moving more. But then I thought, well...how did he become so overweight in the first place? Took a peek at your profile pictures and bingo - just as I thought. It looks like your whole family is overweight.

Again - not judgmental. Just fact.

So what does this tell me? It tells me that your whole family had bad eating habits and could benefit from learning better ones.

Rather than to put the kid on some sort of restrictive diet, I respectfully suggest that you and your wife learn how to make healthier meals. Change the eating habits for your entire family. Make it a family thing! Get out and move more as a family! This way, everyone wins and your kid doesn't feel singled out or restricted.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Get him under a barbell and out for runs. Careful with how low carb you go as he needs the energy. Lots of fruit and veggies, solid amount of protein and dietary fats, and speak to your doctor about how much of a calorie deficit is appropriate.
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Rather than to put the kid on some sort of restrictive diet, I respectfully suggest that you and your wife learn how to make healthier meals. Change the eating habits for your entire family. Make it a family thing! Get out and move more as a family! This way, everyone wins and your kid doesn't feel singled out or restricted.

^^This.