Protein bars

Options
Hello!
Plese, what are your experiences with protein bars?
Do they really contain as much proteins as said?
Many thanks!!!

Replies

• megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one after a bootcamp. The one's I tend to like the best are the Cliff Builders Bar in Cookies and Cream. It has 20 grams or protein which is a lot for a protein bar and the taste is actually pretty good.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan of them. Many brands have some strange ingredients added to them, or sugar alcohols (which upset my stomach). You might consider searching some blogs for homemade lara bars. Tons of great recipes. Otherwise, how about some good old fashion real food like cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, a few ounces of shredded chicken and salsa, etc.
  • DreamBigEatLarge
    DreamBigEatLarge Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The protein bar that I've got right now has 26g protein in it :) But I'd rather have other protein sources like egg whites etc.....
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are good for a grab-n-go's, small dessert, or a snack.

I personally prefer Quest bars for the sheer fact you can also use them in dessert recipes, and also bake / broil the bar to come out like a cookie.

And yes, most of them are true to their protein macro-nutrients. Go with a good brand, and not some crap bar for $0.50 at Wal-Mart.
  • pilvi3
    pilvi3 Posts: 200
    Options
    Good answers, all of U!!!

I can't believe I am so stupid, but I really woul not come to idea to eat egg white alone!
    Thanks for a good advice!
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars for the win! They just came out with Protein Chips too! Only 5 carbs and 21g of protein - SO AWESOME!
  • pilvi3
    Options
    Thanks! Where can one find them?
    ANy links with contents and to buy?
    Many thanks!
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Options
    Love Quest bars, but at the moment my favourites are my homemade protein bars. So cheap and easy to make, usually hate been in the kitchen but enjoy making these. Original recipes from The Diet Kitchen, but easy to adapt if flavours aren't to your liking!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1/2-1 balance bar (***fan of the cookie dough here peanut butter upsets my stomach) prior to working out myself. Keeps me going. I didn't care for the taste of the ones without a coating of chocolate not sure of brand.
    I find them more a time saver than trying to pack most days. Takes 10-15 minutes to get my 2yr old wrangled into her car seat. LOL Though I have eaten a pita with turkey, cheese, and guacamole prior also. Usually take yogurt along for after if really hungry. Otherwise I eat a few Utz pretzels ( 100 calorie packs I share with my daughter. I think I crave a little salt after. Don't like Gatorade myself. Too salty.
  • strawberrycoconut87
    strawberrycoconut87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    On days I eat a protein bar, I am less hungry overall. The ones I normally go for are Clif Builder's Bars in Chocolate Peanut Butter (20g of protein).
  • pilvi3
    Options
    How much carbohydrates do they have?
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love quest bars!! I get them at Gnc or hi health. There's a bit spendy, but the double choc chunk one left on my car's dashboard while I lift? All melted and pure heaven afterwards! And 20g of protein for 160 cals!! My treat each morning post workout! :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    "glorified candy bar"
    Just eat real food.
  • Cblsplcr
    Cblsplcr Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    "glorified candy bar"
    Just eat real food.
    I agree
  • sadiebea25
    Options
    I have never liked protein bars until I tried a Quest bar! Best bar ever. 20g protein, very low sugar, good ingredients. I get them on Amazon
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I got a pack of powerbars on sale. That and my protein coffee is all I really need for breakfast.

With that said, they're not "necessary".
  • powerfulmojo
    Options
    Most things labeled "Protein bar" seem to actually be "fat and sugar bar with protein."

This Kind Bar (http://www.kindsnacks.com/products/kind-store/buy-kind-bars/kind-plus/peanut-butter-darkchocolate-protein.html) has a big "7g of Protein" printed right on the label, but for some reason, they didn't put "13g of Fat and 10g of Sugar" in the same big letters.

If you want good protein and can stand a little salt, try turkey lunch meat (10g protein per 2 oz serving). It's convenient and surprisingly filling.
  • pilvi3
    Options
    Good advices!
    Many thanks!!!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are the bomb. I recently learned about them after realizing the high sugar alcohols in other bars were upsetting my stomach, and tried 5 of their flavours. The main issue with Quest Bars is price...they're generally $2.50 individually, or $25 for a box of 12. However, compared to other bars that are either packed with so much sugar they're basically candy, or loaded with sugar alcohols to pretend to be candy, Quest Bars are hard to beat. They're a bit different than a lot of the other crispy or chocolate covered bars, coming as a log with a nougat-like texture. They're also packed with dietary fiber...your average bar will give you about 70% of your daily recommended intake, which is great for your digestive health.
  • pilvi3
    Options
    Hello, I found that they have 20 g proteins and 24 g carbos on each 100 g.
    But, they do not contain added sugars.

On other place I found 2-7 g carbos, so what is the truth?
    many thanks!!!