New Mommy

Options
Hi! I am a new mommy of a 1 mth old baby boy! I am ready to start getting back into shape. Any other mom's out there with good advice on how to eat healthy snacks, and making time to exercise with a new born in the house? Also any mom's from the Greeenville, North Carolina area?

Replies

• rhysmommy
    Options
    hi im also a new mommy of a one month old! congrats :) time for us to loose the baby weight :P
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new son! It will be a fun journey. Squeeze in little bits of exercise here and there.

One month old, eh? Sleep when you can!!! When your son gets older, use him as your weight for weight lifting. My kids love it when I exercise my arms with them as the weights. Bundle him up and take him for a short stroll. This way, you get your exercise and he isn't out too long. At one month old, they are constantly eating, pooping, and sleeping, not much time for lengthy workouts. It will get better though.

And my last piece of advice? Enjoy it! They grow up WAY too fast!!!
  • rhysmommy
    Options
    i heard eating yogurt 2-3 times a day (fat free yogurt) helps promote weight loss. i read it on webmd
  • carin04
    Options
    Congrates to you also! We can lose this weight! :)
  • carin04
    Options
    I have been putting him in one of those frontpack carries while I am walking, but I am not sure on how to log that under my exercise for the day. Any suggestions on how to do that?
  • jnickich
    jnickich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! My son is 3 months now and I am trying to get back into shape! Congrats to you too!
  • marisolkohatsu
    Options
    congrats on your new baby! i am a mommy of 2. i have a 2yr old and a 3 month old! i just got back in to the swing of things! GOOD LUCK!! :) my workouts mainly consist of taking my 2 year old on a jog while my husband sits with my 3 month old. im usually only gone about an hour, and he gets to spend time with her, and i get to get out a little while......
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm a new Mommy, too! My son is 12 weeks, I've been exercising now for a little over a month. My husband is really supportive and we either go to the gym together (with son in his car seat/stroller) or he looks after him while I go to the gym in between feedings. I also try to do some pilates at home, and use my son as my weight whenever I can if I haven't been able to get to the gym in a few days. It's been tough, but I've lost about 10 lbs so far (2 since starting MFP). MFP also lists "carrying an infant" as a form of exercise! Sweet!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am all about baby carriers :love: I am happy to hear you are wearing your little one! My youngest is almost 3, and I still wear her on my back from time-too-time.

I am pretty sure that under cardio there is a "walking carrying 15 pound infant", that sounds about as close as you will get, or just get a HRM and count your calories on your stroll.

Are your breast-feeding? If so, you want to not eat less than 1600 calories a day, don't get too much exercise, and make sure you drink lots and lots of water. All of these things will mess up your supply and quality of your milk.

Enjoy that baby while he is tiny! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • hmfishy
    hmfishy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hi new mommy! I'm mom to a 23 month old (I can't believe she's 2 in a couple weeks!) and a 4 month old. First and fore most, take care of yourself. You need to sleep and eat well, especially if you're nursing too. As other mom's have said, get excercise where you can, SLEEP whenever you can (body functions better on sleep!) and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE - they grow so fast. There's excercise programs where you use kids as weight (as suggested by another mom) i got videos from the library, also Strollercize (can join groups, or get book to learn the moves) they're great workouts, and as you said, carrying the baby on your walk (enter in search of excercises "walk infant" and you'll see there's alraedy a calorie allowance for that. Congrats on your beautiful baby, and give your body time to heal :) I know it's hard! :)
  • ladycalledamy
    Options
    Congrats and welcome, Im a mother of 2 girls myself :)
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a mother of 3. I have a 6 yr old, a 3 yr old and an 8 month old. Life is very busy with kiddo's. I try to squeeze excercise in any where I can. While I am making dinner I do calf raises, squats and standing side crunches. Every little bit helps!!! Good luck to you and congrats on the little one! Feel free to friend me and we can help each other on this journey to a new us!!!
  • carin04
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice so far! And congrates to all the mommy's out there!
  • asm12707
    Options
    hi, i am a mom of 2. my son is 3 1/2 and my baby girl is almost 3 months. it is hard to find time for yourself with a new born, but what has helped me is inputing my meals the day before, that way i know what i am eating, and how many calories. as far as excersie i work out when the baby takes a nap, some times i have to stop and then get back at it later. Also if u have the baby back pack u could go for walks with the baby, or jog with the stroller.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you mommies, my kid is 8 1/2 months and I've just started finding time to workout! I spent the first 8 months snuggling her to death :) (and sleeping with her a lot!) She just outgrew napping on my chest so now I get a good hour or two during the day to get active. When my friends and I walk I wear her and after an hour you really do feel it, that extra weight makes a difference! Especially now that she's almost 20 lbs. I have a HRM and make sure to log and eat my exercise calories to maintain milk supply (if anyone else is nursing). I was paranoid about losing my supply, but I'm eating MORE since joining MFP and have actually increased my supply while finally losing weight, it's insane.
  • swobniar
    swobniar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well you already know me... hehe.. but I wanted to be part of the fun to. I agree with everyone though, get your sleep when you can. I tried to stay up all day and then all night with Charles for the first few months because I didn't want to seem like a wimp with everyone here visiting. Not the best thing I could have done..... oh well, I will know for next time if I have anymore. The only other Idea I have for you would be to try fixing a couple days worth of meals so that you can eat healthier then if you just had to grab something because you are hungry and the lo is occupying all of your time. Oh also, when I would hold Charles I would do squats.... Good luck :) And congrats again, I hope we can find someway to see each other some time soon.