Doesn't a conscious diet and fitness = happiness?

Options
Or isn't it supposed to? I'm not at my goal weight yet but I'm getting stronger every day, I'm eating right...why am I still not happy?

I mean, I can be content for weeks and then bam, I'm not. No conscious catalyst behind the change...it just happens. Do I, in fact, have some kind of mood disorder? Or is this normal? Anyone else relate?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    there is much more to happiness than being in good shape. it certainly helps but its not a make or break factor
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I guess I took this too literally (well not the latter part of the quote).

tumblr_mq7jzkDD4m1szx1oxo1_500.gif
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You with a six-pack is still you.

It's like when people think buying more and more stuff will make them happy. They end up unsatisfied with a bunch of stuff.

You just have to learn to love yourself a little. Cut yourself some slack. Be grateful for the people in your life you care about. Take pleasure in the simple things. Happiness shouldn't be some point in the future that you are going to arrive at one day. Enjoy the journey.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Read this just last week:

Losing weight is good for your body, but not necessarily your mood.

A British study found people who lost more than 5% of their body weight over a four-year period were more likely to report becoming depressed than people who stayed within 5% of their original weight during the same time frame.

The study involved 1,979 overweight or obese British adults.

The researchers said overweight people should still try to shed some pounds, but they shouldn't expect weight loss to instantly improve all aspects of life.

"Health-care professionals should monitor patients' mental as well as physical health when recommending or responding to weight loss, and offer support where necessary," the University College London researchers said in a press release. "People who are trying to lose weight should be aware of the challenges and not be afraid to seek support, whether from friends, family or health-care professionals."

The study was published in the journal PLOS One.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What was your reason for losing weight in the first place? If it was mostly for physical appearance or for someone else, chances are you'll always have a feeling of emptiness where you expected to be happy. My reason for losing weight is almost strictly aesthetics (I didn't really have any medical conditions or health problems to begin with), so I know that in itself will never make me happy. I cannot rely on how I look to make me happy in any way, shape, or form, because it will always leave the dreaded void.

Try to rely on things outside of diet and fitness to make you happy. Read an educational book, try out new hobbies, learn a new dance, invest yourself in your passion. Be proud of yourself for a non-physical accomplishment that will enrich your life outside of materialistic things. It will make for a much fuller life in the long run:-)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    While I do get "runner's high" after a workout, long-term sustainable happiness goes beyond physical fitness. Total fitness is really a holistic endeavor. You can hit your goal weight and still have other problems, which is why it's a good idea to assess all areas of your life on a regular basis.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Fat also stores lots of hormones. Sometimes when you lose fat you release those hormones which could actually mess up your mood. Keep going it will get better. If it doesn't, professional help may be the answer.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    Calorie deficit could also put stress on the body. Maybe you'll feel better when you're eating a healthy diet and maintaining weight instead when you're losing weight. The journey can be stressful but worth it.

Other factors to look into now: sleep, harmony in your relationships, using your time in accordance with your priorities (first you have to know your priorities...), balancing work and recreation.

fitness does not = happiness. But I think being physically unhealthy can put a large strain on your ability to be happy.

Looking at Maslow's hierarchy of needs physiological comes first- then there's safety, love/belonging, esteem, self-actualization. (I think his ideas are interesting.... not that he's got it 100% correct.)

Anyway, don't be discouraged that you're not already feeling better. Seems like you're on the right path. Remember calorie deficit will put stress on your body. I'd look into more sleep first if I was you. :flowerforyou:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

:laugh: I'm sure it helps with the little things, but I guess it depends on the husband. There is only so far you can push even a happy person.

I get mood swings during the dreaded time of month, when I miss out on sleep, and now that I'm back to being a carb burner I can get grouchy if I haven't eaten enough some days. And of course when people push their luck and get on my nerves. Plus once in awhile I get blue out of nowhere for no good reason.

It's a human thing. We're all this little bit of awareness we choose to call 'self' on top of a seething mass of chemical reactions. And I'm not even entirely sure the 'on top of' part is all that accurate, either. You get used to it after awhile.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters,, but I thought I would add something more from my own personal experience or way of thought. I try not to rely on losing weight to make me happy because I know being a healthy weight does not = happyness. Being a healthy weight only = being healthy, not sick, and at less risk for illnesses in the future. I try to find things I like about myself no matter what weight I am. Am I overwieght? Yes, but there are things I like about myself still. I am beautiful, have an awesome personality, and am successful in my family and career.

Try to find things you like about yourself that make you happy with yourself besides your weight. Accept the good and bad things about yourself. But dont expect or equate being a healthy weight or being healthy to happyness, happyness should come from so much more than that!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well, of course Legally Blond is scientific fact.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of people overweight can relate to the OP. You got to heal the mind too not just the body.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I guess losing the lard has made me feel happi-er, although whether I'm happy or not has got more to do with a load of other things which are totally non-weight/fitness/health related.

But then, I didn't expect that it would make me feel any happier, any more attractive or really anything else other than physically smaller. Maybe expectations before you make a change has got a lot to do with it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it is a pretty common error to think that getting fit and losing weight, etc is going to result in being a happy person when you were not before. I deal with periods of depression and anxiety that can sometimes make for quite the roller coaster ride...I dealt with these things when I was heavier and out of shape and I deal with them now. I think exercise is a great stress reliever for me and I enjoy it, and I enjoy being healthy and eating right, etc...but just because I'm fit and healthy doesn't mean I don't have other issues going on.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Before, I used food to balance out the stress factor in my life, after each encounter, I bought an XL bag of crisps and just pushed it down, not even tasting or enjoying much. Now four weeks in and finding alternatives is hard. Probably a lot of people are like me: food to deal with emotions, and when the food leaves, the emotions don't. I am just now actually realising this, since I started this. I had another encounter yesterday and had a very hard time not to reach for the large bag of crisps.
    I did not always eat for emotional reasons though, I just like eating a lot too, and unfortunately too much.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    The first rule of happiness is love thyself: Elle has a first rule relating to perms. . . . .

"Exactly. Because isn't the first cardinal rule of perm maintenance that you're forbidden to wet your hair for at least 24 hours after getting a perm at the risk of deactivating the immonium thygocolate?"
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The first rule of happiness is love thyself: Elle has a first rule relating to perms. . . . .

"Exactly. Because isn't the first cardinal rule of perm maintenance that you're forbidden to wet your hair for at least 24 hours after getting a perm at the risk of deactivating the immonium thygocolate?"

:laugh: