Boredom sets in...

Options
So, I like to work out, really I do. But I get so terribly bored when I do it. I play the wii and hula hoop and even walk on the treadmill. I always listen to music or watch tv to 'try' and get my mind off the fact I'm bored, but it doesn't seem to work. Its beginnign to make me dislike working out, which makes me sad.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this?

Replies

• Leilmil
    Options
    Since you have a Wii perhaps you could get the Just Dance or Just Dance 2 game. They are really fun to play by yourself or with friends and family. You're working out without even realizing it!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Try Crossfit - One of their slogans is "Routine is the enemy". The workouts are different every time.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I agree with Just Dance 2...SO fun! Also, I have EA Active for the Wii and I love it...I've had it since July and I haven't gotten bored of it yet. Plus, they have an add on too, which I'll probably get next month. Do things you enjoy for exercise!
  • keiarawr
    Options
    I don't really have the money to buy new games. I mean, I'd love to. Absolutely love to! But right now money is tight since I'm about to start college...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you have cable, some of them have workout videos via On Demand. It's free! Also, if you have Netflix, you can rent some workout videos. They have them at the library too.

For me, no workout dvd or video is going to work. I like to workout outdoors and I like variety. So I run, swim and bike and I do Crossfit and take classes at my gym.
  • abbycat900
    Options
    If you have an iPod, iTunes has this program where you can download things for free... iTunes U. I use it to download audio readings of books; a Florida college, I believe, has this one set of Sherlock Holmes that I flew through. There's tons of stuff there! Books read aloud, lectures, etc...
  • keiarawr
    Options
    That would help a lot. I'll check it out.

But I'm still looking for other ideas too!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy the videos and would last for a while, but I have been really bored since I have returned to them. Now, I take small mental breaks during the workout if I have to, and then I go back into it. It's working, because I am starting to last longer. If you try this method, you have to trust yourself that you will return to it. If you don't return, don't worry about it. Pushing yourself too hard can bring discouragement. Change and adaptation takes time.

Other suggestions:
    Try different routines by incorporating different kinds of exercises.
    Change workout videos often
    IPod really works, and can be very relaxing!
  • tashasbaby
    Options
    Put on the music channel or your fave tunes and just go nuts dancing this will burn some calories and if you throw in some cardio boxing moves etc it will help you tone up as well x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For me, no workout dvd or video is going to work. I like to workout outdoors and I like variety. So I run, swim and bike and I do Crossfit and take classes at my gym.

+1000

If I was forced to exercise indoors in front of my TV I would be bored out of my skull!!!

Get out there into the fresh air. Get some running shoes. Get a bike. Get some roller skates. Join a gym and do circuit training or classes... whatever, just get out of the house!

The key is to find something you truly enjoy, where you don't NEED music or TV to "distract" yourself from the fact that you're exercising.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't really have the money to buy new games. I mean, I'd love to. Absolutely love to! But right now money is tight since I'm about to start college...

Have you considered playing a sport? You don't have to be on a team, but just for fun.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    find 5 different exercise routines
    do one each day

give your self a target and try and beat it every week

avoid the tread meill and if you do get on a treadmill or cross trainer do 10 to 15 mins of intervals

30 seconds fats 30 seconds slow

or 1 min each if you want
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    and never spend more than 45 mins in the gym
    i some times do 10 mins skipping 10 minutes cross trainerr (Intervals
    and a 20 minute circuit
  • runracer11
    runracer11 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is running, and to keep boredom at bay I have goals... run in a certain race, beat a certain time. In order to get faster and have more endurance, I have to mix up my running sessions. Some are longer & slower, some are interval training, some hills,etc... Also, sometimes I go with a friend. I think all of this, including having a goal that I am aiming for, helps a lot!